Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ever feel sorry for someone and help them for free?

bdog1234 ยท 2015-07-24 22:49

We are selling off some caliche from a pond we are digging. Selling it cheap because we need it gone. Basically just enough to cover hauling it. A guy calls today and needs two dump truck loads (14 yds each) to put on his dirt driveway because when it rains it gets so muddy they can't get their cars out to get to work or anything. Keep in mind it is borderline desert here with 15-20" rain a year but it is unusually wet this year and we have had over 15" in the last three months. Anyway I go dump the first load and it is a small older run down house and head to get the second one. Never really thought much about it figured they had a tractor or something to spread it out. When I get back with the second load the guy and his wife are out there spreading it out with shovels. I dumped it and they paid me with a random assortment of bills and coins and said it was all they had but they had to have the caliche so they could get their cars in and out to go to work. I headed home and the whole way back I couldn't stop thinking about how hard it would be and how long it would take to spread out 28 yards on a 200' long driveway with two people and shovels. I got home and loaded up the skid steer and went back and spread it for them for free. They were very thankful. Took me a couple hours but really made me feel good.

Replies17
  1. #1JBGASH2015-07-24 23:10

    Yes, I do the same thing on occasion. I look at it as if it was a donation, the type of offering at church as the offering plate is passed around. That has the same good will meaning and effect, it just wasn't money put in the offering... And most of all thanks for helping those folks, they prolly really needed some help and would appreciate it greatly.

  2. #2Tones2015-07-25 04:54

    Bdog, a big yeah for the day.That's some of the best advertising you can do. Someday they will recommend you do work for someone they know who can pay. Some people call it ka ma

  3. #3Tinkerer2015-07-25 06:16

    You did the right thing bdog. I would have done the same thing. I live by the principle "what goes around comes around". Someday your generosity will be repaid. JBGASH is obviously living by what that same belief.

  4. #4stumpjumper832015-07-25 06:50

    I have no problem helping those that are willing to help themselves. That situation is a prime example. They fully intended to spread those loads out with a shovel. Yes, I'd have done the same. Loaded up the ctl and assisted. What chaps my hide is when they expect you to do it... for free cause you have all that equipment... and so on.

  5. #5ddigger2015-07-25 10:47

    Well Done! It never hurts to pay it forward.

  6. #6Welder Dave2015-07-25 12:40

    It was a good thing you did but why not spread it when you dump it, especially the second load?

  7. #7bdog12342015-07-25 13:03

    I am far from a dump truck expert so maybe there are some tricks but I can't spread dirt for crap. Gravel I can do fairly decent but dirt seems to stick until you reach a tipping point and then it comes all at once. I can get dirt spread out a little maybe in 3-4 smaller piles but no way I can spread it even half way evenly over 200'. I did dump it into smaller piles for them though on the second load but it still would have been a nightmare for them with a shovel.

  8. #8Buckethead2015-07-25 14:09

    That was very good of you bdog!

  9. #9Iron@Dirt2015-07-25 16:44

    bdog, if it is really good people and down on their luck, I rather give to them than the church, the church probably missed their need. Good job and thank you bdog.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2015-07-25 17:25

    Good for you bdog1234. What goes around, comes around. Just yesterday i had something happen to be. I was in town and the clutch pedel fell to the floor on my 550. I pulled into a parking lot and soon discovered that the plastic retainer on the clutch pedel to linkage rod failed and the rod fell off. I was trying to get a snap tie on it to hold it until I could get home and a old fellow came up to the open door and said he ran out of gas and wondered if I could help him. He was polite, dressed cleanly but simply in old work clothes. I replied a little crabby that I had problems of my own I had to deal with. A few minutes later I had the clutch working and was feeling quilty so I went looking for the old timer (I'm guessing 80s). I found him walking and picked him up finding out he only had two dollars to buy gas until the end of the month. He was in town for the doctor. I filled his gallon and a half can for him and then paid for more gas so he could put more in and not end up with a burnt out fuel pump on top of it. As we poured the gas in I aske dhim where he lived and he lives just up the road a piece from me. Just moved in taking all there money. After finding out where I lived he told me that he had been a mechanic his whole life and still liked to get his fingers near the work although he can't do much any more. He offered to come over and keep me company as I mess with my toys. As he put it he can still hand a wrench over if it isn't to big. I just may take him up on his offer.

  11. #11CatToy2015-07-25 18:31

    You did good ddog.

  12. #12Buckethead2015-07-25 20:20

    Yes, if they were willing to spread those loads by hand they are not lazy.

  13. #13caterpillarmech2015-07-26 09:45

    I was working on a job site when I was younger, maybe 25. There was a gentleman washing out his socks in an old bucket and hanging them out on a very cold day. I had to run back to the shop and could not stop thinking about him. When I returned and finished, I emptied my canned goods in my lunch box and even gave him the can opener. I could see the pride in this man not wanting to take it from me. All I could think about was how little a contribution this was from me. He kept repeatedly thanking me. It is moments like this that prove we are not all hate mongers and selfish. I always wish I could do more for this world for the people that deserve it. Good on you Bdog. It may have not been a huge thing in your life but it was in theirs. Bless you Sir.

  14. #14boaterri2015-07-26 11:05

    Well done Bdog. I used to clear the driveway and sidewalk for the elderly lady 2 doors up the street from me in the winter. She tried to pay me and I would always wave her off, "I just get a chance to play with my blue machine" I would tell her. She gave me a nice pair of winter work gloves one year. I would also get yelled at by the neighborhood youth for stealing their jobs. Rick

  15. #15norite2015-07-26 12:50

    I have done favors for neighbors, fixed bikes for kids, and helped senior citizens, all at no charge. I am sure most of the good people here have done so also. I don't do favors for those who think they are entitled to my help for free and don't offer to pay even though they could easily afford it. I am glad you helped those people, they deserved a hand even if they are too proud to ask.

  16. #16Old Junk Man2015-07-27 04:20

    One rule I always have. I will not give away what I do for a living. If I help someone I would rather they or no one else knew who did it. once is seen a guy walking down a gravel road. I went few miles and there was his PK flat tire and spare flat also. So I cranked up compressor and inflated and plugged both tires. And drove away.

  17. #17Todd v.2015-08-07 10:33

    Doing unexpected thing for others with no expectaion in return is not giving something away, it's just as good for you as it is for them. Food for the soul. And in many cases it pays dividends down the road, but you can't do things with those expectations or it won't make you feel the same way.