ttp://six-wheeler.com/M880.html
:wierdt I tried your search nothing came up.
Try this - http://six-wheeler.com/M880.html It was missing the "H" in front
6 wheels?....lol Pj
There are some pics of one of those without a blade around here somewhere. A heavy haul company in the northwest use it to unload off of barges. The things are basically a land tug. Twin "props" for steering and a cab straight off a harbor tug.
Wonder why they didn't show it turn?
They did show it turn. They showed it bouncing around in high speed reverse too. Can anyone tell what cat they showed it pushing next too? An 9 maybe looked like it had twin stacks but I don't recall 9s ever having 2 stacks.
know a guy who fieldtested one of these back in the 80's. said it flew but wasn't very good for what they were looking for. they were trying to use it to reclaim coal strip mines but the slate would reak havick on the tires and any rain put it out of commition.
Machine is shown working soft dry material. Bet this thing slides on wet frosty ground . No way this wheeled dozer can do what a tracked dozer can. Besides eight tires replaced is no savings over grouser bars, sprockets and pins turned.
didn't look very practical
i had the dubious pleasure of watching one of the 2 that ARCO converted into prime movers on the north slope (took the blade off and installed push pads and draw bar hitches on both ends) we called it the grave digger. it would push (twin 450 hp CATS) like crazy as long as you were going straight, but try to turn under power and it liked to bury itself, deep and in heart beat. if i remember correctly Lampson purchased both of them along with both Hendrickson DPM360 prime movers and all of their platform trailers and they now reside in the Tri Cities
It looked like the melroe 880 was pushing beside a Fiat-Allis HD 41.
This is not the 880 but have a look. I was next to one of the melroe dozers in north dakota. YouTube - Worlds Largest Bulldozer?
Largest dozer is the ACCO.........
Here's the thread with those in it, second post:
That would be the thread i was thinking of. I was pretty sure JTL was the one that posted it, but i didn't get a chance to check.
Thanks, interesting
An interesting machine, never seen anything like it. How much does it cost?
I have a couple of dozer pics I'll put up, when I can figure out how lol...
I worked with a man from Wyoming one time that actually ran one of these machines. e also mechaniced on wet days. On break he showed some pics of 2 of them One had a 4 way blade on his with a push cup on the back. The other had a big open ended angle blade with a quick hook coupler on the back to run a push cup or straight blade. He told me when stripping ground that they would push one way levelling and backing up tey could tend scrapers. Even had a picture of a big 500 Hough doing the same. e said the angle dozer was used alot to push off the highwall. Also was brought up that if it didnt have weght on te back of the machine it would bounce like crazy. He also mentioned that you could counter rotate by putting one side in forward and the other in reverse. He also mentioned its a great way to knock the crap out of a Ford F350 with the blade.
that is an awesome dozer. wonder why they didn't catch on. I would love a 27' blade to push and grade with.
They also made a very large twin-engined loader at one point as well. I don't know that it ever made it past the prototype stage, and sadly, I don't have any pictures of it, but it was a monster, sort of like this thing (I've seen one of these in person when I was younger---interesting machines)