Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ex120 needs new undercarriage what to buy

NHyeti12 · 2019-04-22 18:11

so I bought a ex120-2 it needs chains, sprockets an probably some rollers my question is what are the better brands an are there any types or brands to stay away from. I got a quote for $1200 for unsealed chains an $150 for sprockets, got a few other prices but they didn’t list part brands Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1John C.2019-04-27 13:51

    I haven't kept track of the manufacturers for a few years now but it is all a whore's market. Get quotes from any and all suppliers and then try to nail them down of warranties. I suspect that $1,200 for the chains is for one side and the $150 per sprocket sounds almost too cheap to believe. My guess is that your prices posted are on something made in China. Don't forget to figure you time as well. Are you going to reuse your plates? If so you will need all hardware for the plates and the sprockets. Make sure you get the torque specs for those as well. Good Luck

  2. #2Bls repair2019-04-27 14:29

    How much do you expect to use the machine?

  3. #3Ronsii2019-04-27 15:09

    Last year we put on some ??? can't remember the brand but they were 'a cheaper alternative' .... so far they are working good I think out the door was around 8k we were expecting a few thousand more so I know there is a lot of competition comping in from china and other import cheapies driving the low end down. But.... this is a limited use machine... not a farm machine... but sometimes it won't leave the yard for weeks, all in all I would guess it only gets 3-400 hours a year on it anymore... Took me a little over a day to get everything ripped apart and things welded/shimmed/fixed and then put all new undercarriage on it, there's just no reason to mix old/new when paying good money on new chain you need all new rollers and sprockets.

  4. #4Ronsii2019-04-27 15:10

    All done

  5. #5Goodlife2019-04-27 15:10

    I think the cheapest quote I got direct from China was around $3500 plus shipping for complete undercarriage including plates, idlers, all rollers, & even tensioners.

  6. #6Ronsii2019-04-27 15:19

    That sounds pretty good as long as they last more than 1000 hours....

  7. #7Goodlife2019-04-27 15:24

    I wonder how much variation in quality for the various options on the market these days?? How do we determine what the quality will be like especially when buying direct from China?

  8. #8NHyeti122019-04-27 18:25

    It’s basically a home owner machine, few house lots maybe some side work stumping or something then down the road it will go

  9. #9Bls repair2019-04-27 18:26

    Good life it’s a Roll of the dice

  10. #10NHyeti122019-04-27 18:29

    One quote I got was from industrial tractor supply, which I was told was were nortrax a big JD dealer gets there undercarriage parts an I got another from tracks n more both were within few hundred on chains one was sealed chains the other was not

  11. #11Goodlife2019-04-27 20:55

    Oh well that makes it fun gambling on track gear from China. Be great if people shared their experiences especially positive ones to increase our odds. I know there's more to it than that when buying from China. Thanks

  12. #12Ronsii2019-04-27 22:26

    You mean the chinese sharing their experiences.... I'm sure they would be all 5 stars and best undercartage ever!!!! But the fact is pretty much anything made directly in china/etc.... has zero QC... ie.... they will make anything as long as it looks close to what they are copying it's good!!!! don't matter what ingredients they use as long as some poor fool buys it it's all good!!! heck they'll sell dog food made out of ground up plastic and what not... of course now the chinese are farming out a lot of their heavy manufacturing to even cheaper countries so it gets even worse... This can be a *little* different when a foreign entity sets up shop in china and has standards to follow for the manufacturing of their products but the quality is still questionable.... and it is still a roll of the die whether or not the item you get will be acceptable because you really don't know if your items will be knock offs of the knockoffs or just original knockoffs???