Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ex120 pilot hyd hose repair

Jakex120 · 2018-08-29 16:56

Hey guys. .haven't been on here in God knows how long..Can't say I've used the ex120 much either since..So ive got this polebarn I'm having contracted out and I gotta get a good driveway built to the site..Last weekend while greasing up all the fittings I went to position the boom for a last few pumps and a hose under the cab went to spraying the hyd fluid. Turns out a hose blew that runs from my hyd lockout valve up to my pilot valve (left joystick). Also the other hose that runs along side and up to joystick from same lockout valve is in poor shape. Was able to get them ordered under JD490 part numbers and should be here by this weekend. I have replaced a few of the bigger hydraulic hoses on the ex120 in the past with no issues but these hoses appear to me that they are gonna be tricky to manuver out of the armrest and thru the floor. I have some parts book/disassembly manuals on the machine but there is not a section for hose replacement. Can anyone with experience with the pilot controls give me some tips on how to make this hose swap simple? Will the joystick with all hoses have to be removed? Or maybe I can fish just a few hoses up to the joystick? Thanks and would appreciate a reply. ...

Replies7
  1. #1Junkyard2018-08-29 17:25

    On some like that I’ve gotten a union, attached new hose to old and pulled it through. Might work in this instance if they aren’t bundled too tight. May have to snip some zip ties and remove a bracket or two....

  2. #2John C.2018-08-29 17:51

    No real easy way that I've ever found. Sometimes depending on the machine I've had to take the valve loose to move it around for easier access to the fittings. Most of the sheet metal covers on the console can be removed. That might mean taking the seat out of the cab.

  3. #3heymccall2018-08-29 18:39

    On my Caterpillar machines, it is nearly impossible to do one. I just buy all six hoses, and I already have caps and plugs. I pull the whole contraption out, using great care to MARK everything. Not sure what's in yours, but the Caterpillar ones are thermoplastic, and take a hard set over time.

  4. #4Jakex1202018-08-29 23:10

    Thanks for info..yes the union joining did come to mind but I think there is a gathering cup at the end of one of the flex hose covers..I did mean to say console instead of armrest. Looks like the console is removable though...These two particular hoses appear hardened over time. I could peel the outside coating off of them. The other four seem still soft and flexible. .I guess I'd better be prepared for the worst case..Makes me wish I had a spool of this hose with the fittings and crimper..Glad I remembered this site. Gonna enjoy getting good info from the members. Thx

  5. #5Volvomad2018-08-30 17:33

    I usually use light cord (baler twine) tied on old pipe . pull out the old ,pull in the new

  6. #6Jakex1202018-08-30 22:56

    Went out to the farm tonight and looked it over again since I got some good advice..Took the console bolts out and discover the back two need to remain in if I want to proceed with the repair the way Hitachi intended. The rear of console is mounted to a pivot rod to aide in hose repair. Im sure most of you know that though but its gonna make it easier to snake them hoses out..Parts should be in tomorrow. Will post again once I complete the task. Thx

  7. #7Jakex1202018-09-15 23:55

    Hey there again..wanted to update. Got the leaking hyd pilot hose replaced and the return hose running along side. It wasn't as simple as I wished it to be. Had to basically take the joystick rod and boot off..take the mounting bolts of the control valve off and pull it up free from console frame in order to be able to wrench the fittings. I was however able to use the old hoses to pull the new thru the duct channel.. but before that was possible I had to destory this big rubber sponge grommet that molded all six hyd lines together from the factory. Sorry didnt get pics would've been interesting to see to help in explaining. The crazy thing about the whole job is when I went to grab the other old hose (which wasn't leaking) it crumbled and snapped. Funny how and old hard hyd line is fine till bothered. Well add some more 303 oil and back to working the roadway...thanks again