Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EX60-5 Electric’s

preilly ยท 2010-10-15 07:25

Hi, I am new to all this, I have a 2004 Hitachi EX60-5, when you turn the key to switch off the engine, the fuel gauge, the tourtoise light and the engine hours light says on, when I remove earth from battery and then reconnect then they are not lit any more. seems like a relay or such is sticking any ideas? Also anyone know what volts i should get from alternator, mine is 25.6v is that okay or a bit on the low side? Thanks Phil

Replies10
  1. #1tool_king2010-10-16 22:28

    You should get about 27 volts dc from the alternator.I check my service manual and their is battery relay that might be sticking.

  2. #2cps2010-10-17 08:53

    Yep the battery relay could be sticking, not sure were it is but il check and let you no asap!

  3. #3tool_king2010-10-17 12:28

    The battery relay should be close to the batteries .Follow the positive cable .And you should find it .It will hve two heavy positive cables and some smller wires going to it.

  4. #4preilly2010-10-18 09:39

    thanks everyone

  5. #5KenAl2010-10-18 21:45

    Battery relay is usually not the problem. If you have a leaking diode in your alternator it will keep the battery relay on until you take the earth off.

  6. #6boveyfarmer2010-11-01 07:16

    my EX60-2 flats the batteries after about 15 minutes of work, goes back to tickover, l then have to stop it with the manual stop button ls it the alternator?

  7. #7cps2010-11-01 13:58

    Hi Boveyfarmer, sounds like its your alternator alright, do you have jump it in the mornings!

  8. #8boveyfarmer2010-11-01 14:34

    l charged both batteries up today, had it running, then after about 20 mins it defaulted to tick over, ingnition light on. l had to pull the manual stop to cut off the fuel, both batteries flat so it would not turn over.

  9. #9preilly2010-11-20 09:29

    fixed hi, alternator changed and everything back to normal. if the alternator is not producing enough voltage the computer put's machine in emergency mode and you have to kill the machine using kill switch. thanks to all for help Phil

  10. #10Art_H2012-03-21 04:49

    Old thread I know, but I seem to have the same symptoms as the original poster. The hour meter still runs when key switch shut off. It is intermittent though. Also there is a bunch of relays clicking in the dash console when operating, but doesn't seem to affect much. I don't notice any difference. Any ideas?