Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EX60URG Tracking problem

LJMXUK · 2010-05-11 16:51

Hi, I have an EX60URG which has developed a problem. When tracking it has always been strong when cold but when hydraulics are hot it loses some power. I have managed like this with no problem for 12 months. Now I have another issue which I cant manage with. When the hydraulics are hot the left track motor looses all its power in reverse only. Tracking forward is normal but try to go backwards & the LH drive is very slow. Let it cool down & its fine for a while. Any ideas?? Much appreciated. I have drained the EP90 out of the reduction hub to check for metal but it was clean. Something to do with the motor? Center joint? Filter?

Replies28
  1. #1xcmark2010-05-11 17:25

    sounds more like a pump problem to me , have you checked out the max out put of the pump?

  2. #2LJMXUK2010-05-11 18:50

    How do I do that? What tools do I need? Would this cause a problem on 1 track in 1 direction? Everthing else is strong!

  3. #3cps2010-05-11 19:21

    i dont think its the pump as they have a single pump, you need to do a case drain test on the bad motor!

  4. #4LJMXUK2010-05-12 02:19

    How do I do a case drain test? Thanks.

  5. #5LJMXUK2010-05-12 15:28

    After looking at other posts about the in-line fuel filter gauze I decided to investigate. I removed the banjo & cleaned out the "clogged" gauze filter & re-assembled. The tracking power is much improved but I still have a problem with the left track reverse becoming very low on power once hydraulics are hot.Digging & tracking forward is faultless. What could happen once oil is hot? Obviously it gets thinner. Any ideas anyone?

  6. #6LJMXUK2010-05-12 15:32

    How do I do a case drain test on the bad motor? Cheers.

  7. #7cps2010-05-12 18:39

    Hi There Ljmxuk, If you remove the cover behind the motor ther will be 3 maybe 4 pipes! The 2 larger pipes are your drive lines, if there is only 3 pipes the smaller one will be the case drain, if theres 4 the other will be the brake line! the case drain will be on a lighter hose most likely, any way if you remove the hose have some one pull the lever back and watch the drain from the motor, if theres a fair bit of oil coming out when the motor slows down you have a motor problem! If you do happen to remove the brake line by mistake it s not a big problem, youll no if you have as oil will come out soon as you start it, not much will come out of the pipe from the case drain, just what ever is in it at the time! Hope this is of some help let us know how you get on Cheers CPS

  8. #8willie592010-05-12 20:19

    Hi CPS, I would suggest, when LJMXUK disconnects the hose connected to the case drain fitting on the suspect drive motor that he fit an appropriate threaded plug into the hose fitting. The case drain circuit at the drive motors is connected to the return to tank circuit, and since most excavators work with non-vented/pressurized tanks, I'm thinking there would be a good bit of oil come out of the case drain circuit hose as soon as you start machine. Just a thought.

  9. #9LJMXUK2010-05-13 11:00

    Thanks for your help guys. I will check the motor as suggested over the weekend & let you know how I get on.

  10. #10cps2010-05-13 13:24

    Yea fair point Atco, We'll be ok now Atco s on the case, cant beat a few wise heads!:drinkup What part of the UK you in?

  11. #11LJMXUK2010-05-13 16:46

    I'm in Shropshire area. If it is the motor thats at fault, what sort of job is it to fix? Can you get a kit to fix it or is there specialist repair companies?

  12. #12jack.denison2010-05-13 21:20

    I have a kobelco 135 SR. The #2 pump is staying engaged, it does not track well, the swing and some other functions do not work well at times, when I use another funtion the swing seems to work. While at an idle not being operated pump 1 shows 0 psi and pump 2 shows 4500 psi. When moving the thumb the psi goes to 0 but it is working fine. Any idea what is wrong with it?

  13. #13willie592010-05-13 21:35

    Yep, I try to stay one step ahead of Stock. Difficult task that is though.

  14. #14LJMXUK2010-05-14 11:29

    Ok. I did what you guys said. When cold and the tracking worked well the forward was draining 350ml per minute & rearward was draining 300ml per minute. When the oil had got hot & the track rearward went slow the forward was draining 400ml per minute & the rearward was draining 200ml per minute. Does this mean the motor is ok? & the delivery pressure is dropping? I am eargerly awaiting your next suggestion? Thanks.

  15. #15cps2010-05-14 15:38

    Ok your most likely looking at center joint seals, not sure of hand but it might be not be easy to get out of there, thats a compact machine!! It would be your cheapest option if it is!

  16. #16willie592010-05-14 18:49

    Well, ya beat me to it CPS, that's what I was going to suggest. :yup Haven't done an EX60 before, maybe yours won't be too bad LJMXUK, but most small excavators I've done are a genuine PITA to remove that swivel. I'd rather do one on an EX300. On those, at least there's enough room to climb in and work with it.

  17. #17grandpa2010-05-14 18:58

    :drinkup bah ha ha wise heads.....i wus kinda thinkn the other end ha ha:drinkup:cool2

  18. #18willie592010-05-14 19:25

    LoL...now, be nice to mechanics ya old buzzard. They have the ability to put a hurt on your wallet. :lmao

  19. #19LJMXUK2010-05-17 08:30

    I am struggling to find a centre joint repair kit supplier in the UK. I can get genuine parts for around £100. Does this sound reasonable? Can anyone suggest somewhere in the UK who supplies these parts? Thanks.

  20. #20machine2010-05-17 09:21

    I have checked with many seal supply outlets and haven't found one yet that have the high pressure seals. If they are available other than the dealer let us know were.

  21. #21cps2010-05-17 11:10

    Yea i can get you a set, probably about have of that, send me your s/n and i'l double check in case they are differnt to a standard ex60??

  22. #22LJMXUK2010-06-01 13:47

    I removed the centre joint yesterday......what a fiddly job! You have to remove every fitting off the top half of the joint to get it out! My arms are ripped to shreds & my ribs are killing from leaning in from the top. We stripped the centre joint appart today & found that all 7 seals were worn & 3 were extremely bad condition. I have decided to replace all 4 main hoses too as they have been rubbing & through to the metal. The shaft is now much tighter in the housing. I am glad after all that work there was actually something blatently faulty! Once I have fitted the unit back to the machine I will update you of the outcome. But my hopes are high due to the worn seal set! Thanks everyone for your help so far. :notworthy

  23. #23stock2010-06-01 14:42

    Stay ahead of me the way I'm shuffling even a snail would leave me for dead. Have a look here this will explain a bit more or the pictures will.

  24. #24cps2010-06-01 14:54

    Glad to hear you found something clearly worn! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

  25. #25LJMXUK2010-06-09 16:53

    I gotta thank all you guys on here for your help. The centre joint is all back together & the problem is now sorted. By the time I changed a load of hoses & bought some more oil the whole job came to around £300. Thanks again for your help! Lee.

  26. #26junior34342010-06-15 18:42

    Hi, It sounds like the centre joint deals to me. I work on loads of Hitachis and they do give a few problems with seals. And its the easiest and cheapest to try first

  27. #27darrenjolley012010-08-17 15:23

    hi mate, im sure your motor is fine, from what you have said it is most likely the rotary coupling (centre joint) leaking internally. this will also exsplain why its only on one sevice and why it is worse when its hot as the oil is thinner and can pass more freely. the reason the case drain is worse forwards than backwards is because there is more oil availible to the forward service than the backwards. i hope this helps, Darren

  28. #28lminter2402010-09-09 11:40

    I have same tracking problem with Hitachi UH200, left track have low power in Hot and cold, just tracking slow and no power- same have IDEA thank you