Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator bucket

Liberty ยท 2018-06-29 13:10

I am looking to get a new bucket for my excvator. It is a doosan sl75v (7.5Metric ton). I am a home owner not a contractor. I am using the excavator to build roads and fields. I have sandy to rocky soil. I came across this bucket. http://www.excavatorthumb.com/eb1424-midsize-mini-excavator-bucket-or-loader-backhoe-bucket.php It seems to be of quality steel ar400 and of a good thickness. Price is great and it is american steel. What do you think of this bucket?

Replies30
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-06-29 16:39

    That looks like way too much bucket for your little excavator.

  2. #2Liberty2018-06-29 16:56

    How do you figure. My excavator is 17800lbs with a 24" now. The mfg rates it for 14 to 16k lb.

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-06-29 17:21

    That bucket you are looking at is for serious digging, thick cutting edge and substantial teeth. I wasn't picking on your rig. You just need to consider all that material adds up and may take away from your actual payload. You stated," I'm a home owner" that's a production grade bucket. My 2 cents , costs you nothing and is worth nothing. You got what you paid for.

  4. #4Liberty2018-06-29 17:30

    I did not take it personal. I am not that sensitive. LOL I was thinking it was not HD enough. Shows what I know.

  5. #5Delmer2018-06-29 17:39

    I agree that's a heavy duty bucket, maybe 50% heavier than stock. What's wrong with your current bucket? usually when a homeowner want's a new bucket, they want a narrow one, or a ditching bucket, not another one the same size as they have already. A pic of your current bucket would show what it needs. Also relevant is how many hours you've put on the current bucket and how many you anticipate putting on it in the future.

  6. #6Liberty2018-06-29 17:47

    I purchased a used excavator. It has a 24" wain roy bucket that has been hard surfaced and welded many times. The bucket needs new shanks and a cutting edge. It is a heavy bucket. The labor and cost of repair pushes me towards a new one. Especially for that price. I did say a homeowner but I have 200 acres and are in the process of building a 4000 ft road plus clearing 2 1/2 acres of land. I have quite a bit of work ahead of me. I also thought I could sell the old bucket to offset the cost of a new one. I am sure in the future a pond. I figured since the bucket did not have wear strips on the shell and side cutters that I would wear it out faster. I am glad to hear that it is a hd bucket. Some bucket prices I looked at are $2500 plus.

  7. #7Delmer2018-06-29 19:51

    I agree. They can do a lot more work cheaper in a factory with new material than what you can do patching up an old one without the right setup. Only question is does it fit.

  8. #80072018-06-29 21:41

    That bucket looks perfect in my opinion. Stronger the better when you hit rock. I would put some side cutters on it. Cheers

  9. #9Liberty2018-06-30 03:05

    What abo It is made to fit my machine. We confirmed the dimensions.

  10. #10Liberty2018-06-30 07:01

    Glad to here the bucket is solid. I would rather have a heavy bucket than a light bucket. Here are a few pictures of the bucket. The pics were taken when i was contemplating a repair. All the shanks are worn like the one pictured plus the WR disconnect is welded solid due to bucket peel. No pics of t hat

  11. #11funwithfuel2018-06-30 08:31

    I guess, by looking at what you have, you're not far off from what you have now. I always try to look at how tippy it'll be at full stick , cuz as luck would have it, that's where you'll always have to make your heaviest pick

  12. #12Liberty2018-06-30 08:34

    Yes, the cutting edge was 1" thick with 5/8 side cutters. That is when it was new. Much thinner now.

  13. #13funwithfuel2018-06-30 08:39

    Just keep in mind a heavy bucket plus load of material is hard on your slew bearing and your swing brake. Best of luck

  14. #14Liberty2018-06-30 08:44

    The bucket I am looking at is 575lbs. The lighter ones are about 300lbs. I doubt the extra 275 lbs is going to cause excess wear especially when I am picking up 3000lb rocks.

  15. #15PeterG2018-06-30 18:08

    The bucket you have is shot for sure. The new bucket you were looking at is not a Wain Roy quick coupler. Call Joe at Phoenix Equipment for best prices on new buckets and used ones. I would order another 24" digging bucket, 48" grading/Cleanout, and maybe a 12" ditching bucket for drainage, irrigation, utilities, and stump removal. Teeth get broken trying to pry out concrete footings, large rocks, stumps, etc. If your're trying to pry, and the object doesn't budge, dig all around the object to expose more of it. Give it time, it will come out. Lazy operators try and rush it, swear they need a bigger better machine, and often damage the machine and bucket they have.

  16. #16Liberty2018-07-01 08:16

    Thanks for the advice. I will check them out

  17. #17StumpyWally2018-07-01 12:30

    Liberty...Just for your peace of mind, my 24" trenching bucket for my NH EX80cs (Kobelco sk80cs) is a Werk-Brau w/ side cutters, 5- Esco UltrLok U20C chisel teeth, lift eye, & a Klac quick coupler mounting plate (53 lbs) welded to it, Whole thing weighs about 545 lbs. I love it!! Also, my advice would be to forget the 12" bucket, & instead get a ripper. Much more effective at penetration for such things as stumps & demo. Put a pointed tooth on it. And before you buy any buckets, think about a quick coupler so you can change attachments easily. If you want to stay with Wain-Roy, that's OK, but your attachments will have to have hangers built for it.

  18. #18PeterG2018-07-01 13:37

    You don't say if your machine has a thumb already on it. If it doesn't, you might consider getting one put on. Either way, the bucket teeth should match the thumb. For my machine, I have a 12'' digging bucket, 18" digging bucket, 24" digging bucket, 36" digging bucket, and 48" grading bucket, hydraulic breaker, and ripper tooth. We hardly use the ripper tooth. We are a contractor and do primarily residential work. I would be interested to see what Stumpy Walley's ripper looks like. Mine with the one ripper tooth isn't so great, and with the 12" or 24" bucket it's easier to pick up rocks, stumps, concrete demo, etc.

  19. #19StumpyWally2018-07-01 14:17

    Peter & Liberty...Yes, I do have a hydraulic, stick-mounted thumb. Here are some pictures of both just after I ripped out some stumps in Fall 2015: I widened & extended my thumb a couple of years ago, & that has helped. I don't have any problem picking up stuff, even with the ripper installed. Here are some results from Fall 2015:

  20. #20Liberty2018-07-01 19:20

    I definately do not forsee changing buckets. Like i said, i am a homeowner with alot of land and there is no need for speed. I remember when i was told to get a quick hitch for my 3 pt on my tractor. Though i change implements regularly , i get by just fine without it. I already have a hydraulic thumb and the idea of rhe ripper is a good one.

  21. #21Ronsii2018-07-01 20:31

    Does your current bucket have holes and big cracks in it? because that bucket looks plenty serviceable for the tasks you have mentioned albeit with a couple new teeth welded on it

  22. #22StumpyWally2018-07-01 22:14

    Liberty...I have a 3pt hitch on my tractor also, & I do not see the need for a quick hitch there because its's fairly easy to change attachments & not that messy. On an excavator with the std. pin-on setup, that's a whole different animal!! The attachment is usually way heavier than you can lift or shove around to line up the pins, to say nothing of the gobs of grease that are (should be) on the pins & holes. So, I think that anyone who has an excavator with more than 1 attachment should seriously think about some kind of quick coupler before buying any more attachments. If I had to unpin my 24" bucket & then pin on my ripper, I would probably never do it more than once. My quick coupler makes the change very easy, fast, & I don't even get my hands dirty. I only have about 8 acres of land, whereas you have 200 acres with some significant work planned. I would hate to have you in the midst of that work when you then realize that you wish you had a quick coupler to enable easy changing to another attachment better suited to the work at hand. Should you ever change your mind & get interested in a quick coupler, feel free toe contact me for my insight. One of the most important considerations when considering a coupler for a relatively small excavator like your Doosan sl75v is to choose a coupler which is as close mounted as possible so as to not increase the tip radius of your bucket, & thereby reduce your breakout force. This rules out all conventional pin-grabber style couplers that are very common on larger excavators, which have breakout force to spare. I could go on, but I'll wait until...if...you change your mind.

  23. #23AzIron2018-07-02 00:17

    Stay away from proprietary shank designs like cat or deere go with something like a Hensley side pin you can get them anywhere and a lot cheaper Your current bucket is not toast get some new shanks do a little buildup and you wont wear it out for personal use If your going to get a new bucket and will never change buckets you don't need a quip coupler getting rid of a wain Roy coupler dumps a hundred pounds and will give you more breakout force Heavy buckets are a must have in the rock if your not in the rock and not doing more than your own stuff a standard bucket will do fine

  24. #24Liberty2018-07-02 07:36

    So much good advice here. Not sure what to do. What is wrong with cat style? They seem to be readily available and cheap.

  25. #25AzIron2018-07-02 13:55

    Nothing is wrong with them but around me they ate 30 percent more and don't last as long as aftermarket options but our ground can eat teeth in 2 days if you push it

  26. #26Liberty2018-07-02 14:46

    It seems that the cat style are $10 a piece with pins. The bucket i am looking to buy can upgrade to esco style for free but the company said cat style are easier to find. I just came across Titan attachments has 10 teeth with pins for $92 free shipping. I am sure these are chinese teeth. The teeth I have been using are H@L 230sp forged which are welded on. I like H@L . They are US made and a good company.

  27. #27AzIron2018-07-02 15:30

    Don't get hung up on teeth if the cats are 10 bucks with pins that a good price and cat teeth can be found anywhere there is a cat dealer I do side pin because my cat dealer wants 15 bucks apiece also there is 5 or 6 places for me to get side pin teeth locally while there are only 2 places locally to get cat style My point should have been more clear don't buy a new bucket with a shank style that you can only get at one place

  28. #280072018-07-02 21:32

    Your old bucket has seen better days that's for sure. I doubt you will get much selling your old bucket but maybe better re purposing it. Maybe cutting all that mess off the front and welding a finishing bar on, or have a crack at making a clam shell out of it? Make something out of it that suits your immediate project needs. Just a thought.

  29. #29Liberty2018-07-09 11:41

    My neighbor suggested the same. His. Idea was to convert it to a grading bucket.

  30. #300072018-07-09 21:52

    sounds like a great idea!! I think my mud bucket is used the most out of all my buckets. Would be a little bit of a pain not having the full bucket there but better than nothing. A creative welder might put some bucket extensions on the sides? Would leave the original sides untouched. Would be seriously ugly but what the heck, gives it some character. I would recommend the use of reversible bolt on blade. 3 to 4 ft would be great. Post a pic when you creation is complete.