Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

90 mm ID pivot pin shims

Liberty · 2018-06-30 07:21

One of my shims on my main boom pivot pin split and came out. Why am I having such a hard time finding this size shim for sale?

Replies9
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-06-30 19:01

    Try Volvo dealer. We used a lot of 90mm on loader frame and bigger excavators. You may have some luck there.

  2. #2Liberty2018-07-16 19:37

    I just made some shims from 16 guage sheet steel at TSC. I put two shims in for a total of 1/8". I measured the vertical movement and it was actually 180 thous. I figured three shims would of been difficult to get in. I wonder if it would of been better with one thick shim rather than two thinner?

  3. #30072018-07-16 20:37

    Are you sure there is not to much wear in the bushes as it took a lot of pounding to break original shim. One shim would be alot stronger than two and not distort. Might have less grease between shims, so maybe not last like one? If you are sure about clearance, if you find someone with a lathe and they can use a parting tool on some bar stock and make one for you easily.

  4. #4Liberty2018-07-17 10:25

    There is no bushings in this pin. It is solid steel from top to bottom. The holes are elongated to 91mm at the outer edges. This allows it to rock slightly which I believe ended up splitting the shims. The shims I think are original and have 2800 hrs on them. I was told this is normal and to keep it greased. The other option isto replace the pin with the expander syatem which should remover all play but the pin costs $1300 usd.

  5. #5heymccall2018-07-17 10:40

    Caterpillar has 2mm thick urethane shims, w/90mm ID, available. IMHO, the urethane shims last much longer. Don't have p/n today, but can get it later, if necessary.

  6. #6Liberty2018-07-17 10:45

    That would be good . Thanks

  7. #7heymccall2018-07-17 14:25

    I cannot confirm the actual dimensions, but, these are both 2mm thick urethane shims. 166-1488 (90mm ID, I think) 166-1487 (80mm ID, I think) Perhaps someone else, or a Cat dealer, can confirm. Less than $20 ea.

  8. #8kshansen2018-07-17 14:46

    Well I checked on SIS and found this much in the specification for a 322C: (1) 189-3923 Pin Diameter after plating ... 89.85 ± 0.04 mm (3.537 ± 0.002 inch) Minimum thickness for plating ... 0.013 mm (0.0005 inch) (2) 166-1487 Shim thickness ... 2.0 mm (0.08 inch) That shim is the one that is used with that pin so very close to 90 mm ID! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Then did a search on the 166-1488 shim and it showed up with this pin: 186-5663 Pin As Diameter is 99.850 ± 0.040 mm (3.9311 ± 0.0016 inch) 166-1488 Shim Thickness is 2.00 ± 0.15 mm (0.079 ± 0.006 inch). So it looks like the 166-1488 is for a nominal 100 mm pin

  9. #9Liberty2018-07-17 16:18

    Looks good. Thank you