Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator Cleaning

Beckbenj · 2024-03-02 12:36

Hi All, I’ve been cleaning up a Kubota KX161-2 purchased a few months back and am curious on the proper way to clean accumulated dirt / grease out of the belly of the machine. I’ve been digging the packed in mud out with a scraper at this point but there are areas that can’t be reached even with that tool. What’s the appropriate tool to use here and not cause issues with the valve stack, hoses, and few electrical connections that run in this area? I’ve read about pressure washers or steam systems. I’m hesitant to use a pressure washer in this area for fear of driving water into one of the hydraulic valves.

Replies12
  1. #1CM19952024-03-02 12:56

    How many inspection plates on the bottom? The best we've found is a good de-greaser and plenty of water. Rinse and repeat. Gotta be careful if you use a pressure washer in tight quarters like that.

  2. #2Beckbenj2024-03-02 13:44

    There seems to be only 1 small plate off to the side (green arrow), so not much in the way of underside access.

  3. #3Beckbenj2024-03-02 14:16
  4. #4Welder Dave2024-03-02 17:13

    Maybe a wide spray nozzle on a pressure washer to limit pressure after spraying with degreaser. I also wonder if one of those foam blasters for a pressure washer would work? Spray the foam, let it sit for a while then rinse off. That is a very interesting scraper you have.

  5. #5Beckbenj2024-03-02 22:17

    Thanks for the info. The scraper is some plastic job from a local auto parts store. Works well when scraping sensitive materials (aluminum, etc.)

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-03-02 22:41

    It looks like it's steel.

  7. #7Vetech632024-03-03 07:55

    Pressure wash that thing. It's not going to put water into anything steel. Just don't concentrate water spray on electronic components.

  8. #8masterwelder2024-03-03 10:16

    Agree with Vetech63. I use a Hotsy steam pressure washer. 240 degree wet steam melts grease/oil etc. and the water pressure carries it away. You can always stay back from the machine to lessen the impact of the water if you need to. Also changing the nozzle affects pattern of spray and/or pressure. Turn off or disconnect electrical and avoid spraying directly at connectors. Be careful around stickers also unless you want to remove them too. Make sure to wear safety glasses and face shield. Shield and glasses will fog and get wet making it hard to see but it’s non negotiable, you have to have them along with rubber boots and rubber smock. It’s a dirty job but if you want it as near to day one clean as possible, steam is the only way. I have steam cleaned a lot with no problems. I like to wash when I can let the machine sit and dry. A windy day helps. You will not regret owning a steam jenny. I don’t use degreasers, the wet steam does all the work.

  9. #9skyking12024-03-03 10:18

    pull that lower cover to let it drain out rapidly, also a place for the chunks to rinse out.

  10. #10masterwelder2024-03-03 10:27

    3000 psi at 4.5 gpm.

  11. #11Coaldust2024-03-03 17:38

    That Hotsy is probably worth more than the hoe is. I keed, I keed, … Seriously, has anyone priced a new 1200 series, lately?

  12. #12Coaldust2024-03-03 17:39

    Let’s turn this into a Hotsy thread. Show us your giant Hotsy.