Hey guys I’ve put in a resume for a local rock quarry, and interview is coming up they were talking about putting me on an excavator, but the problem is I’ve on had time a dozer, and a TLB. So any tips, tricks and advice on excavators would be greatly appreciated.... so fire away with the do's and don'ts....:notworthy
If you are competent on a backhoe an excavator will not be much of a problem.Tell them up front in any case.A quarry is a good place to get some stick time since for the most part carrying a grade or working in tight quarters will not be an issue.Good luck.Ron G
Learn to keep cheaking your mirrors... Just a good pratice when you upgrade to doing pipe work on the streets. Also try not to scratch up the machine
Just a few I can think of off the top of my head real quick: -Whenever possible work over your front idlers -If you are traveling any real distance go forward (idlers forward again). -Always know where your boom/counterweight are... even in a quarry you'll probably have to track under conveyors/power lines and swing in proximity of large boulders or other machines... like w2bstoned said, try to keep the machine looking as good or better than when you got it. If you're running an excavator in a quarry chances are good you'll be hammering too, so: -don't air fire -grease frequently (or keep an eye on auto greaser tubes) -don't pry with the bit -keep the bit perpendicular (90 or very close to 90) with the rock you are hammering That's all I can think of for the moment... I know there are lots more but the brain just isn't firing tonight:beatsme:Banghead:bash
Good points, but the most important of all is cycle the hammer. Never run a hammer for than 15 seconds constant, always cycle it. The best hammer operators run the hammer for 15 seconds and then move the point to another spot in the area you are working. This has proven to be the best method of operating a hammer over and over again. If you run the hammer constant for more than 15 seconds you are just keeping me busy.
Keep it Tidy One thing I personally think stands out on a good operator is a tidy work area and working platform. I have witnessed Excavators attempting to load Dumpers at all sorts of precarious angles, accompanied by the bouncing and rocking that come with Tracks not on the Flat and Level. Use any time between loads to get the place tidy, and always have enough working room Flat and Level to move to without interupting the loading cycle. If you have a Dozer with you occasionally, Don't leave him a mess to tidy. If they only have to make a few sweeps for you, then they will come around more often I've found. Don't be messed about by dumper drivers, 'its under the bucket' or 'Up the Road' as far as I'm concerned. May sound harsh, but try keeping 7 Volvo 25 tonners happy on a confined site with a Cat 320 and you will understand why you want them to help you. Best of luck, If you get the offer take it as you will only learn in the Seat!
For my first post, I'll pass on this one. NEVER leave an excavator overnight, straddeling a 42", 10 foot deep ditch.
Go slow and easy. If I see an operator jump in the cab, set the engine on the govenor and go as fast as possible I know I'm watching an amateur. A slow and steady approach will be noted and appreciated. Maturity brings with it responsibility. If they see a mature operator who is gentle with the machine they will reward you for that. A hack will always be a hack. Good luck.
I am assuming you are talking about cold start up. I am not sure that's an amateur, more just a mooooron.
Anytime someone who isn't comfortable with a machine jumps in and bulls and thrashes they are morons. They stick out like a sore thumb when they run it wide open and bounce and thrash. I assume ohfd261 is not entirely comfortable with an excavator and therefore would recommend that he not run it on the govenor until he is comfortable with it. Slow and steady with an over-abundance of caution will show the owner that you aren't going to stave-up his machinery and will be a valuable employee. Moron or otherwise, until you know the machine go easy on it.
WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT ALWAYS!!! I know A gentleman that was digging a pipe line on a rather steep hill here in north central pa. I dont know all the details but....He was running a cat 345 with the big single grouseres and he jumped in it to back it down the hill a few feet. He was facing up hill and it tipped back and sat on the counter weight. He didnt have his belt on and he fell out of the cab and broke his leg really bad.(Think about how high the cab on a 345 would be in this position) If he would have had his belt on he would only have had a red face. I always wear my belt in every single machine I run. After all its only your life:thumbsup
update Hey guys thanks for all the replys i've interviewed and waiting on them to get back to me. Over all it went pretty well. Again thanks for all the good advice :notworthy
Never undermine the wall you are on top of! I have seen this done and by guys who have been running shovel for years. Always keep your wall level or at a 2:1 so there is no chance of digging the ground out from underneath yourself. As well always keep your tracks level and ALWAYS know whats behind you! The easiest way to fall in a hole is by not taking 30 seconds to look behind you.
Like Reuben said, Wear your seat belt always! It's kinda hard to operate any machine or in my case, a 450 Hitachi when you're hanging from the place where the front windshield should be. I'm stupid for not wearing my belt in the first place and lucky to be alive. Since my spectacular exhibition of death defying excavator operatorism, I wont even move a machine unless my tail is belted in.
captian obvious to the rescue!!!!
No need to be a jerk, everybodys done somthing stupid before, some worse then others.
Honest to god I am laughing out loud!!:falldownlaugh.!!! I second that. Yeah I suppose Everyone has done something stupid,but come on:falldownlaugh!!! Wait wait heres one....dont park near a river bed during a flood warning :thumbsup. ( all in good Humor by the way )
Ron, Welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums...but the excavator overnight...sounds like a story...do tell more?
I've done it before, had no problems :beatsme if you have a trench box in like you should at that depth you're fine.
Indeed, there is always a story In 1997 the purchase of a 1990 Case 125B (my second really big machine) led me to the wonders of PURE, MASSIVE POWER. Having owned it for about a week and still learning the feel, I decided to see how deep the water level in the lower back corner of my small gravel pit was, in relation to the bedrock bottom. I hit bedrock at 10 feet, and as water seeped in the depth leveled at about 6 feet. It was late, so I just shut the machine down where it was, the next morning the site that greeted me was, the side walls had sluffed off and the tracks on the inside were angled downward about 10 degrees, maybe more. I started the machine, which caused more sidewall to give way and left no other option than try to back out, I did make it but had there been one more foot to travel, it would likely have walked out of its tracks. My other machine is an old "Clark-Michigan 85-IIIA", and I do have an old old 1948 "Link-Belt" dragline that does run, but has not been put into any service. :Banghead An old man with old junk, does that sound like something new??:Banghead :Banghead