Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

excavator falls off trailor

youngoperator ยท 2009-12-17 23:05

wow, i hope the operator walked away http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ELxRch7l4

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies39
  1. #1youngoperator2009-12-17 23:08

    for some reason i cant get the link to work :S

  2. #2Vantage_TeS2009-12-17 23:18

    Here: YouTube - Excavator Falling

  3. #3youngoperator2009-12-17 23:19

    thanks vantage tes

  4. #4RobVG2009-12-17 23:20

    dup

  5. #5plowking7402009-12-17 23:34

    ummmm Go Army?

  6. #6hvy 1ton2009-12-18 01:28

    Man, that had to be a pretty rough ride. I have a feeling the operator wasn't wearing a seatbelt since twice the stick starts moving after it's on its side. That trailer doesn't look to friendly to the over the back method. You would think that the military would run min 10' wide lowboys, who is gonna try to stop them.

  7. #7special tool2009-12-18 08:45

    Paging corporal bonehead.....corporal bonehead?

  8. #8amtronic2009-12-18 09:31

    The guy on the ground tried to run faster than his feet could carry him! Hope the operator is OK.

  9. #9special tool2009-12-18 09:57

    It looks like the trailer is on an angle from left/right. That's...er...um...kind of a NO-NO, especially when you are on a wide machine.

  10. #10RobVG2009-12-18 10:38

    What kind of trailer is that? It looks like there's no deck on it...

  11. #11YoungOne2009-12-18 10:55

    Looks like a HET trailer. Plenty wide enough to load/offload from. Trailer usually swallows the excavator. I might be wrong though. Even in combat, you can drop the trailer, and undog in ten minutes. Just do it! Makes me wonder what happened here.

  12. #12JDOFMEMI2009-12-18 11:17

    It is not uncommon at all to go over the back like that. It is required that you be on level ground though. It also helps to be centered on the trailer before attempting. There was plenty of track on the near side, so he must have been offset to the far side quite a bit. Being off level walked the machine over little by little, until it was too late. Hope he is all right. Unless he tried to get uot early, he may just be bruised up.

  13. #13RobVG2009-12-18 12:00

    And ten guys standing there watcing him do it.

  14. #14plantman.uk2009-12-18 15:04

    i hope the guy was ok.....machine was off centre to start with.make you kinda wonder who loaded it on the trailer, don't look like a lowloader to me

  15. #15Vantage_TeS2009-12-18 17:28

    I watched it again, looks like the tracks slid a fair bit before he went over. From what I can tell it's a combination of the "operator" trying to unload on an un-level trailer and after the bucket is set onto the groun he trys to steer using the swing (pushing the tracks the other way and sliding off the side). It's hard to see the swing movement when he's on the trailer but you can see it, and when he falls off you can see the counterweight is no longer centered on the tracks. Looks like it slid a good 3-4 feet before it went off! I'm guessing a lack of training is at fault as well, most of the time truckers want to unload equipment and watching them do so (even in civilian jobs) can be quite amusing I watched some guy walk my 385 up along a shoulder, one track up on the pavement one track in the ditch. Pushed the shoulder down a good 2 1/2 feet, then when he tried to turn onto the pavement the track caught under the lift of pavement and was going to rip half the pavement out trying to get up. Sooooo then he tried to swing under the powerlines and got all jammed up with the bucket. I let him play around with it another 10 minutes before I went over an offered my help. Needless to say they got me to unload it at the other end too haha! Oh and my big pet peeve with truckers? You have to remove the counterweight of a 385 to move it, so you have to use the machine to load it onto a second trailer. Watching those monkeys scratch the **** out of my paint was the first and last time I ever let them do it. Ever since then -I- will load/unload the damn thing and then if you really want to monkey around trying to track a machine onto a trailer, be my guest.

  16. #16Hendrik2009-12-18 17:50

    Looks like the problem was that the trailer was not level and the ex slipped sideways.

  17. #17AtlasRob2009-12-18 17:55

    All those eyes watching, yet seeing nothing. Nobody with enough balls or experience to shout STOP! It is only 2 seconds into the vid when the track drops off the far side. Did somebody suspect that it might go off the side which is why it got filmed, if so why was the manoever not stopped or was the machine so near the edge that whatever he did he was going to loose it and nobody had enough experience to know what to do. As mentioned in the frame climbing thread, steel on steel is to be treated with the upmost respect. I sincerely hope that operator was not seriously hurt.

  18. #18tripper_1742009-12-18 18:51

    Wouldn't have hurt to unload with the boom at a 90 degree angle to the trailer. Could have saved himself. One swamper designated to guide him is a pretty good idea too.

  19. #19dayexco2009-12-18 19:27

    you own a 385 cat? they're a NICE machine!!

  20. #20special tool2009-12-18 19:32

    I know you're busting stones, but I think some of these guys say "my machine" = just means they care about the machine. If I owned that machine and he called it his, I'd make sure he's the only one running it.

  21. #21td25c2009-12-18 20:59

    I have had a few close calls in the past loading the excavator over the rear like the vidio.I got tired of the circus act and welded steak pockets on the tailboard of the lowboy just inside the tracks on each side.I drop a 2 inch diameter pin in them when I load the excavator.The pin sticks up maybe 6 inches above the trailer floor.Know trouble loading now.Excavator cant slide either way.

  22. #22Vantage_TeS2009-12-19 13:35

    We did that when I used to run forestry equipment. The processor had a free swinging head on it so you couldn't use the boom to stabilize yourself so it got a little hairy sometimes. Put a couple pins in and no problem!

  23. #23AtlasRob2009-12-19 14:34

    I've been giving this a bit more thought as to how he got in that position. He could well have been sat dead centre when he tracked over the axles, if not why would he not reposition himself, no weight on the bucket at that time, he would be free to slew anyway he needed to get in line, so I have to assume he and everybody else was quite happy thats things were safe at that point. As he started to pass the balance point at the rear of the trailer he had the bucket placed on the ground to steady him/herself. Wouldnt we all. This is where it gets tricky and is what I was hinting at in this thread when I said For all those that think they have the experience / bottle / nerve, to do it. Set an excavator up and climb over something, be it a log, rail track, girder, concrete kerb, whatever, but make sure your bucket does not slide or your tracks spin, now go and do it on some steel plate and achieve the same IF he did not bring the dipper in as he tracked back the tracks would have spun and the machine would have slipped sideways as it pushed against the dipper that was holding it. How many ops have you seen that slide the bucket when coming off benches or down steps. That is ok on muck out on site but not steel on steel. I suspect this is what has happened up to the point where the video starts. He is now sat on probably an inch or two of trailer and very few options left. At the point the video starts I reckon he had only one option and that was to get assistance. Whether that be another machine, trailer, winch, block and tackle or just a strong coffee he needed help.

  24. #24AtlasRob2009-12-19 14:36

    I believe our military has something very similar for when loading tanks etc.

  25. #25plantman.uk2009-12-19 14:50

    Rob. look at where his bucket is ...on the arse end of that trailer the bucket should just be hanging closer to it. so in my opinion experience is what is lacking it looks to me he is tracking against the dipper, you are correct it's ok to do it into muck but tracking steel on steel is not easy therefor thats where apptitude comes in..anybody can get it up the heap not a lot of folks can get them off...hope i've not opened a can of wormswith my comment..i don't mean to offend anyone

  26. #26stock2009-12-19 15:37

    From my viewing of this the driver has made a proper ass of it before he gets to the point of dropping it off the trailer.At the point shown he has 20t odd sitting on one set of springs and axle, secondly why has he got this excavator sitting up in the air when he is so far past the rocking point (CoG).Had he raised the boom prior to this point, the front of the tracks would be sitting close to,or sitting on the dirt where he would have had a greater amount of control. Now having said that would a beaver tail not have been a better type of trailer to have used? Silly mess for nothing.

  27. #27heavylift2009-12-19 15:37

    It appears to be an m870 trailer... 8' wide with a folding neck. the m747 trailer is 11' 5" wide. rear load and the m1000 is 12' 1". rear load the deere 200 has a center to center track width of 7' 10".... and 3 different overall track widths 9' 10"... 10' 2"... 10' 6" It would fit on the smaller m870 trailer... I'm surprised they didn't try to cowboy it off the side.... I've seen it done.. the first time I was barely out of the cab, the operator tracked right over the side of the trailer, spun the tracks 90 degrees, and folded the boom. that went on for about a week.... I had just started hauling equipment. The boss just happened to be in the area on day... he wasn't happy when he seen the hoe flying on the trailer from the side.. NO more side loading, he said Their trailers were folding necks that you had to winch the trailer onto the tractor...

  28. #28td25c2009-12-19 20:52

    Lowboy safety pins for loading excavator I took a few pictures of my stake pockets & pins on the tailboard of the Lacrosse 25 ton lowboy this evening,sorry about the quality but it was getting dark.Each pin is about 10 inches long and I put them in when loading & unloading the excavator.The trailer is 8 feet wide and the excavator is 8 feet wide at the center of the track so there is not allot of room to play around and most loading trouble starts at the tailboard.The inside of the tracks has maybe an inch of play between the pins.I installed them a few years ago and they help allot .About half the time we are unloading on a county road beside power lines or in town beside a building or a house.It's bad to slide off the lowboy in an open field,I sure dont want to do it in town and get into power lines or a house.

  29. #29plantman.uk2009-12-20 11:51

    just looked at ya man again tracking off the back look at where his idlers are...behind him...if thats the case he is either pressing down on the track pedals with his toes making it arkward or he is pulling on the track pedal controls with his hand so he is not in complete control of the machine.If the idlers were in front of him he could push the track pedals making it easier to control and having both hands on the boom and dipper levers...in my opinion less chance of him tipping the bloody thing over and getting it off safely

  30. #30Deere96702009-12-20 11:58

    I understand what you are saying, but to get the thing on the trailer, he would have to pull the levers back as well, so hes kinda stuck in between a rock and a hard place when it comes to that..........

  31. #31plantman.uk2009-12-20 12:12

    there is that to it but it's easier loading it that way gearbox going on idlers coming off...but the only surefire way in that situation was to get me to take it off for him...(haha)

  32. #32special tool2009-12-20 12:19

    Sorry for OT - but I have a Lacross tag, very similar to your lowboy. Mine is 20 tons though. What kind of make and weight rating of tire do you have to get 25 tons?

  33. #33td25c2009-12-20 17:09

    Thats interesting that you have a Lacrosse trailer Special Tool,Dont see many around any more.They seem to be a good trailer.I want to say the brand name on my tires is "Power King".They are a standard low platform 8.25-15 tire.I would have to go look at it to see the load rating on the tires.I think Lacrosse also made a detachable lowboy as well.Not sure when they went out business.We have had good luck with ours over the years.

  34. #34special tool2009-12-20 18:16

    The wheels/hubs are exactly like yours. The I-beam rails are ridiculously heavy. I still don't know the tare weight - never did. I don't put anything bigger than 32,000 on it, anyway. I don't think it could weigh 8,000 pounds.

  35. #35td25c2009-12-20 18:44

    They are a well built Trailer special tool,I'l start a thread on it in the trailer forum so we can get down all the details & share some pictures and storys.

  36. #36Jam2009-12-28 11:20

    ouch........................!

  37. #37bill53622009-12-28 20:47

    That hard to rattle a person bones, hopefully they were able to walk away...

  38. #38peter312009-12-30 11:15

    Hope the operator is scratch free...not his fault these things happen cause metal to metal always slide

  39. #39chadtrx450r2010-03-31 15:52

    Jesus! Had no chance saving that one, once it fell off the trailer.