there are some beautiful pics of hybrid excavator... komatus pc200 hybrid excavator with four cylinder fuel engine the domestic sany alse launched a new hybrid excavator, the number is SY215C8
So what’s the difference between a regular pc200 and the hybrid?
I'm not sure about the machines above but I read somewhere online about a Case hybrid machine, and it had some kind of energy recovery system in the slew - I think it was along the lines of instead of having a normal slew brake it had some kind of dynamo that charged some batteries to power an electric motor (dunno what the electric motor was doing, maybe assisting the engine, or slewing the machine). But if I remember correctly it was hugely expensive, but they reckoned fuel savings of about 25% (Don't quote me on that, long time since I read about it!!)
Wow i think this machine might be where hybrid technology jumps the shark. I have never been a fan of the concept vs ultra efficient diesel engines but unless they really made some tremendous breakthroughs with this machine i don't see this penciling out for a good ROI
Here is Komatsu's press release that explains a little more about the PC200 Hybrid. Interesting concept, time will tell.
I have personally worked on these machines. I wish I could give more info but have been sworn to secrecy. I can say that if the swing motor were painted yellow instead of being bare aluminum, and it did not have Hybrid decals you would never know it was any different than any other PC200-8. We have seen a big improvement in fuel efficiancy, basically the more you swing the more you will get out of your fuel.
I saw one of these about a week ago at Edward Ehrbar Inc, the local Komatsu for the NYC area, and I spoke with one of the guys in the shop about it. It sounds like an interesting machine. The machine I saw was bought buy a large contractor in NYC, but I was told not to repeat the companies name, I believe they have purchased a few of these.
Hello, MCC, I was probably "the guy" you were talking to, as I work for Edward Ehrbar, Inc. You are correct in saying that the machine went to NYC. In fact, it is working on the Belt Barkway Rehab project in Brooklyn, just west of JFK. However, the contractor didn't buy the machine, as it is not for sale. At this point, there are just a few PC200LC-8 Hybrids in the USA and they have all been placed with select contractors for real time, on-the-job research. We have 2 of them out (one on the Belt, the other on a sewage treatment plant jobsite) with two separate contractors. There's a nice piece about the machine and our involvement with the program in the current issue of Construction Equipment Guide. Thus far, the feedback has been excellent. The hardest thing that an operator will have to get used to is the fact that the engine constantly fluctuates in RPM, as it only throttles up when heavy power is needed. It doesn't stay at a constant 2000rpm like a conventional 200 would. Basically, if you had an iPod on and couldn't hear the engine, you'd never be able to tell that you were on a Hybrid vs a standard 200-8. The swing speed is incredible. Time will tell how this machine fares. The fuel savings noted thus far have been great. I will post more info when it becomes available. By the way, mcc, make sure you introduce yourself to me next time you're in our shop. I'll throw a nice Komatsu cap your way. Regards, Tony
Thank you Tony, I will stop in again.
I would like to know about doosan excavators dx 420 and dx 520 lc heavy duty. Please let me know ...looking to buy one of the two
Sounds like a lot of jobs are going to be less productive. All operators are going to swing 180 degrees or more when loading ADTs or what ever just to keep their own fuelbill down.
SweCE, What you are saying is completely inaccurate. While the energy produced when braking a swing from 180 degrees may be a bit larger, using this machine in a 90 degree swing application is just as effective. No one will be re-evaluating their load positions and applications to realize more fuel savings. What you seem to be failing to realize is that a good percentage of the fuel savings comes from the fact that the machine uses a 4 cylinder engine rather than a conventional 6, and idles much lower than a 4 cylinder would in a typical excavator application. This machine will not be any less productive than a conventional excavator in this size class. Extensive R&D has proven this, and once the machine is fully introduced to the US market and the specs are published, it will become quite clear. Regards, Tony
Got that right, I know from doing cycle times in the PDI and almost loosing my lunch:dizzy
You are not kidding! The machine will pin you into the seat at full swing. Do you have a few field follow units as well, Mr. E? We have two, and thus far the feedback has been very good. Best, Tony
We had one that we prepped and sent to the Midwest but are not keeping tabs on it since it is not in our territory, then we have one that is sitting out in the shop right now. We prepped it for delivery to a customer but im not sure what happened and plans have changed, it is now going to a different customer sometime next month and ill be the tech to do any repairs. The Komatsu rep who came out to oversee the PDI and prep as far as the coupler install had told me that they have very good feedback from all of the machines, only one cooling hose which we found to be a problem on both of our machines and an FC was opened up to have them all replaced.
Yup...we replaced those cooling hose clamps on both of ours as well. The originals weren't causing a problem yet, but we changed them out anyway as per the FC. Was your Komatsu rep Sean M.? He was our rep that did the PDI with us on ours...great guy, and very knowlegeable.
Yep thats my hand in the FC pics...haha Yes he was, it was the first time I dealt with him. Very easy to deal with and stayed on top of things, we still email back and fourth on a few small touches to this machine.