Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator H Link Repair

Pdexter1210 ยท 2025-01-12 13:04

I recently purchased a Kobelco SK230SRLC-3 and the H link casting has seen better days, see attached pics. I have a lathe and a mill, so could easily bore the ID out and press a sleeve in to hold new bushings for significantly less than a new H link costs. Alternatively, I might braze up the area where the hole was wobbled out and then line bore the hole back to spec. The bottom of the hole is good, I believe the ID should be ~95mm as replacement bushings are 80mmIDx95mmODx90mmLong, the diameter across the wobbled out area the hole is ~110mm. Before I make a decision on repair technique I thought I would ask the folks here what they would recommend? I assume I am not the first person who has had this issue, although I wasn't able to find much information when searching for repair methods. I'm new to excavators and this unit will be for use on our farm, clearing trees, digging rocks, etc., not used for earning a living, so downtime associated with a failed repair will only be annoying, it won't cause a loss on a job. Thanks for any input.

Replies8
  1. #192U 34062025-01-12 14:32

    Typically the standard repair for bushing bores is to have them welded up and then line bored back to the correct size.

  2. #2LCA0782025-01-12 20:49

    I don't think those pieces are cast iron. Maybe cast steel or fabricated from steel. But either way, I say weld it up and then bore it like said above. Welding seems to be the more common route than brazing which would require a significant amount of heat for a piece like that.

  3. #3Pdexter12102025-01-13 08:37

    Thanks for the comments, I'll go the weld it up and line bore it route.

  4. #4Pdexter12102025-01-24 08:52

    During transit to get repaired, the shipping company lost my H-Link and can't find it. I bought insurance and am working down that path with the shipper, but it's going to take time and I'd like to get the machine back up and running sooner rather than later. The machine is a Kobelco SK230SRLC-3. Does anyone know of an excavator salvage yard I could try, and/or an aftermarket manufacturer of H-links? Thanks.

  5. #5shopguy2025-01-24 09:07

    Finney in Birmingham Al

  6. #6LCA0782025-01-24 09:30

    Have you tried looking on ebay for a knock-off replacement? Being an H-link it doesn't have to be an exact fit. The pins should be the same size and the length should be roughly the same size but you can shim/trim the width if needed.

  7. #7LCA0782025-01-24 10:21

    @Pdexter1210 That really sucks it got lost in transit. hopefully insurance works out for you on this one.

  8. #8Pdexter12102025-01-24 17:43

    Thanks for the replies, the shipper has apparently found it (10 days later), and its supposed to be delivered today. If it doesn't show up I'll give Finney a try.