Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

excavator horns

dayexco · 2005-05-29 23:45

i've owned hitachi, koerhing (sumitomo), deere, hyundai excavators...even the new ones, the horns work for about 2 months, why is that?

Replies8
  1. #1Cat4202005-05-30 19:42

    Perhaps all of the dust and vibration kills them. Unless the horns are all the same brand, it's the only thing that I can think of that all the machines have in common.

  2. #2D10R2005-06-27 09:25

    Maybe the wires vibrate loose and the horn is simply disconnected. I dont know for sure.

  3. #3digger242j2005-06-27 13:53

    My only long term (meaning over a period of several years), experience is with Kobelco, and of the three individual machines, all of the horns still work fine. :beatsme

  4. #4xkvator2005-06-27 15:53

    maybe you have mice or squirrels..... i've seen them chew up some wiring

  5. #5Bls repair2017-12-03 18:55

    Most of the times I find that the guys on the ground don’t like the operators blowing the horn to get their attention so they disconnect them

  6. #6dayexco2017-12-05 21:03

    boy, resurrection of a 12 year old thread!

  7. #7GregsHD2017-12-06 14:07

    Reminds me of a poor old 245 cat I used to work on when I lived on Vancouver Island, it loaded trucks in a rock quarry in the bush, the horn was hand held, cordless. Just stick it out the window!

  8. #8John C.2017-12-06 19:35

    My dad used one just like that for the shovel you see. It was far louder than anything you will find on a fancy excavator today.