Got a hold of a neat little unit and fitted it to a Kobelco SK135SRLC. Since we rent excavators, it's a big deal for operators in how the joysticks (boom/arm) are oriented. Now some folks are talented enough to operate one in either configuration, but most can't, hard to tell your brain to do something that is opposite of what your used to for so many years. So, if an operator wants the joystick pattern changed, and the machine doesn't have a pattern changer, I'm switching pilot lines, losing oil, cleaning up the mess, just to have to change it back for the next operator. Simple solution, fitted a Holmbury pattern changer, cost around 200 bucks from a Holmbury distributor, money well spent for me. Here's a link to the pattern changer. You can contact Holmbury and they can hook you up with distributor info. http://www.holmburyusa.com/ftp/Products09/PattChanger.pdf
That looks like a slick little answer to an age-old issue. Pretty cool.
Slick it is RTSmith, got a couple other machines I'm going to fit one on. Only problem I had was had to use adapters to connect the existing JIS hose fittings to the #4 SAE o-ring fittings on the valve, but worked just fine nonetheless.
Thats a great idea for the older machines. We bought a Cat 215 at auction that some one changed to John Deere controls. But once we swap the lines back to Cat it will stay that way.:drinkup
Pattern changer has been offered for the past 10 years, or so, on many manufacturers machines. It has been an option, but most dealers order it if there is any chance they may rent their machines. Pretty neat find if it can be fitted to mechanical linkage and pilot controlled HEX's.
Yes, Vern B, with later model machines, pattern changer is optional or fitted altogether. And yes, most "dealers" act according to their needs when it comes to ordering machines. In my case, yes, a pattern changer is a convenience for me since we rent machines, even if I have to fit this aftermarket modification. However, I'm certain there are owner/operator outfits out there that have a number of operator employees for their "fleet" of excavators, whether it's one machine or ten, and I'm equally certain there is an owner out there that has operators that prefer either "Deere" controls or "Cat" controls. It's for this owner/operator that I posted this, a simple way to accommodate the differing desires of their operator employees.
I agree with you wholeheartedly and it seems to be a great little aftermarket tool. I wish it had been available back when I was selling for Cat. It would have been a great alternative when customers requested a pattern change on their machine.
I have installed several of these with good results and no leaks over time. Same complaint on the adapters.
You can pick up these up also off of salvage machines. It is nice to do it that way so you can get the mounting plates and proper hoses for your machines. We added them to two of our B series volvo and they were about a three hour install. In my opinion it is a safety hazard. When i am interviewing someone and they say they can run it both ways i usually assume they aren't as good an operator as they say they are. We have had some pretty good operators switch over the years and it takes them about twenty hours to get switched. Back to safety hazard. If you are working on a water leak or something that needs reaction. Move the bucket here with out thinking about it kind of thing--You just can't do that if you aren't on your native controls. I feel like if i don't offer this on our machines someone in the trench is going to get hurt.
I have been looking for a low cost pattern changer for several yrs now. Everyone I looked at was $1000 or more. The bean counters would frown but you just made me their hero. Thanks for the tip Willie.
I purchased one of these last summer but never got around to installing it until now. Is there any chance you remember what hoses go to where?? The ports are labeled A1,A2,B1,B2,C1,C2,D1,D2 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
We'll try to noodle our way through it 01440X. I take it you're wanting to switch joystick operations of boom and stick? What machine are you working with?
I am working on a Hitachi EX200-5, and yes I am wanting to change the stick and boom operations. Thanks!
Check the Holmbury web site, they actually have a pretty good plumbing diagram.
That's what I needed, thanks for your help guys!!
The pattern changer is easy enough to plumb. The trick is where you locate it in the control pilot lines, this will take some investigating on your part. To put it simply, if the pilot line hoses from joystick valves go straight to the main control valve chest, no worries, it's actually simple to incorporate the pattern changer. But if the pilot hoses first go to some form of manifold with pressure switches, then lead to main valve chest, you would have to plumb in the pattern changer on the joystick side of manifold.
This is the way you would plumb the pattern changer. Again, where you tap into the pilot hoses depends on if they go through a manifold before they go to the valve chest. If so, pattern changer should be plumbed on the joystick side of manifold.
This sounds very much like an advertisment to buy... Am i wrong moderator ?
If Willie or myself or any others who commented were making money on this valve, then yes. But we're not, it's just Willie giving out information, for free. I don't think I've ever taken the time to thank you Willie. Your posts and the posts of many other members are very informative and that's what make's this forum so enjoyable and helpful.
Well...yes and no. As for promoting a product by Holmbry, I have no connection, nor do I have any form of investment with Holmbry, so no, I'm not soliciting directly for them for personal gain. However, am I promoting a product that is handy as a pocket on a shirt, then yes. If you read my first post I explained the we rent excavators and it's not uncommon for operators to ask me to change the control pattern. With no pattern changer, I'm spending time and making an oil mess switching pilot hoses to accommodate an operator, just to switch it back for the next one. I simply posted this product and info showing how it makes my job easier, and I'm quite certain there are members who desire to do the same to their machine.
I appreciate the thank you, but it's really not necessary, I'm just living the dream brother. And with all the crap I've done in my lifetime, it would be a shame if some of the things I know were buried with me in a pine box having never shared it with others. So until that day, I'm living life and loving living. :drinkup
Nice job , I prefer JD , BACKHOE , SAE ,pattern .Iguess you are not an operator if you can't switch your brain in 2 minutes . I can't .
Finally , A man of wisdom .
Absolutely. I for one run a "mixed" crew of operating patterns and I wouldn't have a machine that the pattern couldn't be changed. Thanks Willie for the write up as I am casually looking for a trackhoe and having an easy solution to a one pattern only machine widens the field in what's available.:drinkup
Absolutely CM...absolutely. :drinkup
Hey Willie, do you have any leads for one to change left handed to right handed. Getting the ticker operated on this coming Monday and will miss scratching "things" with my left hand while I am wearing the sling/immobilizer on my left arm.....
LMAO...been there done that bill. Cut my left wrist with glass in 2006. Long story short, in a cast, then a sling for 5 months for mending of cut tendon in left wrist, my writing hand, and I don't write worth a flip with right hand. :tong
Yep, I have 30 years experience typing with my index fingers. Going to suck only having one to use. Won't be many capital letters etc. for a while. I am a lefty also so won't be much getting written either.
Now that's just damn funny. I hope things work out for ya.
I'm in the process of putting one on my 2000 Komatsu PC150 excavator now, only issue is finding out what fittings Komatsu uses to plumb into their valve banks
I can't say for certain about your machine, but most Komatsu machines used Japanese 30 degree flare with metric threads, commonly known as Komatsu fittings, threads would be M14, M18, M22, etc, with 1.5 pitch. http://www.parker.com/literature/Tube Fittings Division/Komatsu_Style_Adapters.pdf
Awesome thank you.
hi does anyone know what fittings are used on a case cx 210 2005 have the valve need to know what is used on the pilot system is metric bpt