Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator Mounted Brush Mowers?

Silveroddo ยท 2010-08-20 00:41

Anyone Have any experience with excavator mounted brush mowers? Looking for info on recomended manufacturers and machine sizes. Also what kind of production can a person expect, or how do they compare to other machines? The reason I ask is I'm looking at a bid where one of these rigs may be advantagous because of the reach requirements. I've got a PC-75 Komatsu, but also have access to 28k lb machines. Production is the key to what I'm looking at. The material being mowed is anyting from grass to 3-4" brush. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1cps2010-08-20 09:43

    Hi Silveroddo, If you look up a thread on here called "sneak preview" The owner of the Kubota has one about the same size as your talking about, i think its Osma or something like that!

  2. #2Eddiebackblade2010-08-22 03:13

    Hi Silveroddo, As Cps says I run an Osma semi forestry flail on a Kubota kx080 and have had great success with the combination. There are many other makes that produce similar, Seppi, Berti and Fae are probably the most heard of over here. The one I want and the daddy in terms of production is the Denis Ciamf head which is some tool, but not so good when you reach ground level. A semi forestry model, (basically a reinforced shaft with swinging hammers) fitted to your Komatsu will be a great combination and capable of some serious work. Production is relative so to speak, you won't compete with a tracked skid steer unit but the applications you will be able to do will rule them completely out. I have mown just about everything from grass, rushes, heather, gorse, brambles to small trees and large hawthorn up to around 10" on the odd occasion and always had great results. The manual alternatives can't even be considered as you would need a huge gang of men to keep that sort of production up. Best to find out what people are running around you and who can supply and back up the heads, but if you have the applications you will be pleased with a good set up. If I remember there is a video on the sneak preview thread of the kubota in action with the Osma. Osma have a website, but Google 'Osma Snc' to find it. Best of luck. Eddie.

  3. #3laketreefarm2010-09-06 21:49

    Brushound Ex50HD For that size machine a 50" Brushhound, Made by Rockhound will handle trees 6" hardwood and 10-12" softwood very quickly. We use them on right-of-way clearing jobs and can cut a swath 50ft wide running a machine right down the middle and usually go 1-200 ft per hour in heavy brush and trees. We grind the limbs off first them just grind the stem from the top down to the ground in less than a minute. $17,000 is the current price range. They make smaller and more inexpensive shredders but all have very high quality and all are US made.