Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator op lookin for any info can get on estimating!

JustinEX88 ยท 2013-02-15 22:23

Been operating about 6 yrs now, supervised for close to two years on a bigger road job projects and a new rail yard. Looking to start off small and work as much as humanly possible local to the area i live in, need some help on understanding the whole estimating side of jobs since most company owners are pretty hush hush about that stuff. Not looking to cheat and use any programs but learn how to do it the old fashioned way!

Replies1
  1. #1rossaroni2013-02-23 21:29

    I grew up in a family owned mechanical contracting firm (dad), and also am quite involved with hay production at the family horse farm (mom). I love both, and wanted to put together something small that put me on a tractor and figure out piping....so I started a small excavation company working for homeowners. My formal estimation experience was only with the piping side, so I had to go out and learn the dirt end of stuff. I picked up a copy of Estimating Excavation by Deryl Burch, read alot, and then started sitting down with the prints that I had from the "day job" to bid the excavation end of things for commercial and industrial projects using what I learned. I was so proud when I got my first purchase order addressed to my company. I was even more proud when my costs were less than my bid. Now they seem to be coming in on a pretty regular basis, and the profit margins are quite similar. For the most part, the plans are the plans, and every bidder gets the same set. Do the takeoffs, calculate the volumes. Break things down into parts. Be meticulous with all of your notes, and keep them all organized. I misplaced a sheet once that cost me many a days labor and a whole lotta stone. When it comes from your wallet, it hurts. I've since picked up a few more books on estimating. Some are better than others. You will develop a style that works for you. The most important thing you can do is be realistic in what you are capable of getting done in a day. If you've got amazing cycle times on a piece of equipment, plug it in to the quote. But don't kid yourself if you don't. Know the operators if you have hired help. Know the machines and their capabilities and capacities. Go to the site and walk it until you can see it (the work). You cant do it if you cant see it. Aside from the estimation, I wanted to improve my leadership and interpersonal skills. Check out Dave Ramsey's Entre-Leadership (YOU ARE NOW AN ENTREPRENEUR AND A LEADER!), as it provides fantastic advice on running a business as well as being a stand up, Godly man. I would suggest it on audiobook, and listen to it (or something pro-business) every time you go somewhere. I run out of time to read, but can listen to something almost anywhere, doing anything. Good Luck! I hope this is some help.