Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator ripper build

Glen2504 · 2023-01-22 16:16

Looking for a little knowledge and advice. Looking to build a ripper for a 135 excavator. Picked up a dozer ripper so I just need to build and attachment plate. Hoping to upgrade excavator in a year or so so would like to build to suit for future also. will the rippers vary greatly in length from a 135 to a 160 size machine? Hoping to use with a hydraulic thumb. Also, can anyone tell me what length it should be? I’ll have to cut the dozer ripper down. Thank you

Replies2
  1. #1Tones2023-01-22 16:40

    In this case the ripper length will determined by the length of the thumb. But keep the ripper as short as possible to get the maximum break out force. An easy way of building one is to get an old ripper bar that's compatible with your ripper, cut it to length and weld ears to it. That saves a lot of fabrication time.

  2. #2James Sorochan2023-01-22 17:31

    Here’s what mine looks like. I have a John Deere 135 C RTS.