Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX60-5 electrical problem

Pat-M ยท 2023-01-23 14:54

Hi all, having a bit of trouble with the electrics on my ex60. Batteries ran down before Christmas,removed,recharged and reinstalled. Started up fine. Noticed that the instrument panel light (fast/slow tracking speed light) is staying on when ignition was switched off. Also the instrument panel buttons still work (lights,wiper etc) when key is off and removed from ignition. I took off the battery lead as not to run down batteries over Xmas when it wasn't in use. Reconnected and started/worked digger today. Switched off after a couple of hours work, tracking speed light on instrument panel stayed on again. Went to start after lunch, batteries dead. Batteries looked old and worn so replaced. Digger started up fine,but when switched off small light for the fast slow tracking stayed on again. Checked connections at back of ignition and instrument panel,all wires fine and no corrosion. All battery leads fine. I also notice than when switching on ignition since batteries were charged/replaced,the battery light doesn't light up when ignition is switched on, only on the first occasion when batteries are disconnected and reconnected again. Any advice appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1uffex2023-01-23 15:17

    Good day Any jump lead incidents that you forgot to mention? Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Pat-M2023-01-23 15:21

    Hi uffex,yes the jump leads were used the very first time before Christmas when batteries were run down. To my knowledge there were no shorts or leads put on incorrectly?

  3. #3uffex2023-01-23 15:30

    Good day Pat Unfortunately jumping modern machines can result in damaged electronics, I hazard a guess that you are a victim of that issue. Some components have a fuse inside, but your post sounds as though it maybe a burnt resistor or diode in the unit. I was not suggesting that a mis-connection has occurred. We have seen this before that prompted my question. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4Pat-M2023-01-23 15:32

    Thanks uffex,with regard to the unit,do you mean the ECU? I have checked all fuses etc and these are fine.

  5. #5uffex2023-01-23 15:36

    Hi Pat Yes that was my meaning the fuse I refer can also be within the unit. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6uffex2023-01-23 15:37

    Hi Pat Yes that was my meaning the fuse I refer can also be within the unit. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7Pat-M2023-01-23 15:39

    In your experience uffex does the full ECU need replacement if this is the case or can the situation be rectified without this.

  8. #8mg23612023-01-24 05:24

    Before replacing any controllers, I would be checking that both the monitor/switch panel and the PVC have good grounds, and that monitor/switch panel and PVC are not getting powered up from a possible short to power on the switched power wire to the controllers.

  9. #9uffex2023-01-24 05:52

    Good day Pat Please confirm that the attched is the correct machine. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10excavator2023-01-24 12:25

    When you turn off your ignition switch, after approximately 4 seconds do you hear the battery relay click off? With your monitor lights staying on while the ignition switch is off, and your batteries being dead after running the machine I would have your alternator checked. A bad diode in the alternator can cause the battery relay to not shut off with the ignition switch off.