Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator rollover

CascadeScaper ยท 2007-08-21 11:11

My dad called me yesterday to inform me that a guy I knew as a kid in my hometown was running a 312 on Friday of last week on some steep ground and rolled it over backwards resulting in his death. Really sucks as I've known the guy for a while, my little sister is friends with his daughter as well. Stay safe guys, this was a Friday afternoon accident, chances are they were running behind and got in a hurry. He was not ejected from the machine, he had the seatbelt on and I'm hearing that a piece of glass, probably the front glass, fell on him and that's what caused his injuries. Had the glass not fallen he would probably still be alive, I'm told the cab of the machine held up very well as the boom took the brunt of the landing. Thought I'd post this as a safety reminder. Sometimes I've done some things on slopes I probably shouldn't do to get the job done, but after losing someone I know to a rollover I'll definately re-think my strategies. Steep slope work is incredibly prevelant back home, there isn't hardly a site that's flat and it's only getting worse with the way the topography of the valley runs.

Replies5
  1. #1Lashlander2007-08-21 22:45

    Good advice. Sorry about you friend.

  2. #2TRACKHOE712007-08-22 18:21

    sorry to hear about your loss, we take two many things for granted sometimes... untill something seriously happens.. :usa

  3. #3CascadeScaper2007-08-22 19:11

    My dad called me and told me the first story wasn't quite the truth, you know how small towns are. My dad talked to a guy on a concrete crew at the house next door that was there when it happened, I guarantee this is the legit story. Apparently he was on a mini with no cab, went over an embankment of sorts which caused the machine to roll and he wasn't wearing the seatbelt so he was ejected and the machine landed on him. L&I was there Sunday to investigate, don't know the end of that story yet.

  4. #4Grader4me2007-08-22 19:44

    Sad to hear stuff like that. You say the mini had no cab. I suppose you don't know if it had a ROPS? If it didn't, then that probably would be the reason he wasn't buckled up as most likely it wouldn't have had a seat belt.

  5. #5CascadeScaper2007-08-22 23:00

    I think the machine was a Cat 304CR rental so it should have had a seat belt in it, our 303CR does.