Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

excavator skill development…

Norwegian Steam · 2018-09-30 22:37

Recently brought on as a territory manager for a dealership chain that sells one of the big three here in Southern California. I have access to tons of equipment but the yard is all concrete and I dont feel like dropping a couple grand in trucking to send a machine out to a patch of dirt to get some dig time in. I've received an extensive amount of training regarding the ins and outs of the machines from a technical aspect, but I havent really received any real training on running the excavators aside from driving them around the yard and doing some basic movements with the boom/arm/bucket. Management has given me free access to use the machines whenever I want to get comfortable with them and ive got access to everything from a 1.7 ton on up to a 50 ton but nowhere to dig any dirt. Do any of you guys have any advice on any kind of drills or practice I can do to get more skilled with the joysticks? I know it sounds kind of absurd but I'm willing to put in the time if someone can point me in the right direction. Additionally if any of you are here in Southern California and can help me out I'd be very grateful and willing to help out in any way I can. I dont need to become master operator proficient but I need to get experience enough to be able to have some credibility with the community out here.

Replies12
  1. #1petepilot2018-09-30 23:14

    find yourself 2 pieces of 2x6 boards lay them one atop the other set some 10 penny nails just barely into the wood then place the boards as far out in front as you can reach with the biggest machine you have then get in the cab and nail those two boards together without bending the nails when you can do that you`re an operator

  2. #2funwithfuel2018-10-01 06:22

    Then use the tooth like a claw hammer and pull the nail back out. Right? LOL Check with some of your customers and mass material movers. They may be willing to give you some seat time in exchange for some "free labor" you get the hours, they get material moved , albeit at a slower rate, till you get the "swing" of things.

  3. #3pp13bnos2018-10-02 08:20

    When I first bought my little 120, I practiced by moving firewood. One piece at a time from one pile to the next.

  4. #4Norwegian Steam2018-10-02 08:50

    You had a thumb on that 120 or you just picked one piece at a time with the bucket?

  5. #5Ronsii2018-10-02 09:07

    A real operator does not need a thumb.

  6. #603 EC2102018-10-02 09:37

    Reach all the way out. Get the bucket flat about 6in off ground. Bring bucket all the way back to you keeping it flat and the same height

  7. #7Delmer2018-10-02 13:23

    Typically I'd say have a couple beers, turn the throttle down to one third, set a couple pallets out and throw them around till you're comfortable. The next day, try it again at full throttle with no beer. Then try ec210's method of keeping the bucket flat to the ground. if you only have concrete, put the pallets out there, pick one up by the back edge with the teeth, lift the teeth a foot off the ground, keep the angle pointed in the direction of the pallet (but not if you're on pavement, keep them level then) and pull the boom in most of the way keeping that same angle.

  8. #8pp13bnos2018-10-02 22:30

    I have a thumb, but practiced without it. I like Delmers pallet idea.

  9. #9Jonas3022018-10-02 22:36

    Good on you for wanting to get familiar with what you sell Check with the union- tech school probably have a simulator to start on not mention some dirt

  10. #10bam19682018-10-02 22:54

    That is a very true statement but they sure do make life ALOT easier at times!!!!!

  11. #11Norwegian Steam2018-10-02 22:58

    The company is sending me to their training program in Wisconsin early November. It’s a week of seat time in all the product lines with the engineers and operators. Really looking forward to it.

  12. #12Jeckyl19202018-10-04 08:00

    You can use an old tire and save some clean up of splintered wood. Push it around, try to edge it into the bucket. Practice using good bucket angles. Most "operators" I've seen don't pay enough attention to bucket angle. Using teeth as cutting edges instead of dozer blades really puts a lot less stress on the machine. If you can keep the bucket flat thru a full pull while keeping it the same height off the ground, you have a better divided attention than most.