Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

excavator stick laser reciever.

srjd · 2015-12-22 08:25

Hey guys. Who's using what for a stick mounted reciever. I clean a lot of ditches and dig basements. Is it worth it? Most of the time I hop in and out myself and sometimes pay a guy to stand there all day. Is there any out there where is can compensate a few degrees so you don't have to be completely plumb to take a shot? Thanks for the input

Replies31
  1. #1Shimmy12015-12-22 11:32

    Spectra LR-60.

  2. #2Aron34062015-12-23 17:23

    +1 on LR-60

  3. #3srjd2015-12-23 18:37

    Thanks guys. How does it compare to the topcon ls-b110w

  4. #4Shimmy12015-12-23 19:23

    I don't believe it compares at all. It doesn't automatically change from blinking to solid on the indicators when it's plumb, it just has a lightbar. Also, I don't see anything about angle-compensating. I've been down the Topcon road, does not impress me.

  5. #5Shimmy12015-12-23 19:37

    I think this is the best deal you will find. http://www.contractors-tools.com/sp...y-receiver-nimh-rd20-wireless-remote-display/

  6. #6Aron34062015-12-24 09:05

    Thats a good price on the LR-60W. If you need mount the magnet mount runs around $304 from Trimble/Spectra.

  7. #7Boiled Owl2015-12-26 09:35

    Shimmy: First off: your ditch cleaning jobs look fantastic! I followed the link but apparently when they don't have it in stock it won't let you "add to cart" to see lower price. My question: Does anyone get by with the Spectra CR600 combination receiver? I see that it can be magnetic mounted to the machine. I'll start another post.

  8. #8Shimmy12015-12-26 22:35

    Thanks, B/O. I think Twisted uses the 600 on his hoe. I know he uses it on the dozer. Here's how I see it. If you're looking for rough cut (within a few tenths) the 600 would be fine. Not saying there aren't guys that can do it, but there is way too much that comes in to play to get pass after pass accuracy with a basic indicator on the stick. Anyone who has ever run the rod with a laser KNOWS how much a little angle on the stick affects readings. Then, take into account the curl of the bucket can throw you off another couple tenths.

  9. #9Shimmy12015-12-26 22:41

    Thanks, B/O. I think Twisted uses the 600 on his hoe. I know he uses it on the dozer. Here's how I see it. If you're looking for rough cut (within a few tenths) the 600 would be fine. Not saying there aren't guys that can do it, but there is way too much that comes in to play to get pass after pass accuracy with a basic indicator on the stick. Anyone who has ever run the rod with a laser KNOWS how much a little angle on the stick affects readings. Then, take into account the curl of the bucket can throw you off another couple tenths.

  10. #10srjd2015-12-26 23:37

    Shimmy thanks for all the help. Is the lr-60 acurate enough for basements?? Does the angle compensator work that good or does it throw off the accuracy? I saw how you mounted it on the bucket instead of the stick I think that's a great idea. How does it hold up if your banging the bucket to get the mud out?

  11. #11Bliz2015-12-27 10:57

    Shimmy1, Thanks for all the good info you post on the forum. I think we are similar in the size and types of work we do. I had the same questions as srjd. Also, looking at the Spectra GL722 and wondered if you have used one or know anything good or bad about them. We are just about shutdown here for the winter and that is when I try to update the technology side of the business. Have a good Holiday season.

  12. #12Shimmy12015-12-27 15:53

    Appreciate it, Bliz. I have a 722. Range is great, the remote will work as far as the laser will reach. Easy enough to get comfortable knowing the axis and to get it oriented properly for cutting grade. It will shoot what I feel is dead accurate up to about 800 ft. You can do rough checks with the grade rod up to a ¼ mile. I tried a couple of Topcons before I bought the 722. Learned my lesson for distance work. I so a lot of grade matching with culverts. I never thought much of a remote until I got a good one.

  13. #13srjd2015-12-27 16:09

    I use topcon rl-sv2s for my laser it's dual slope. Just did a storm drain line that had to have an engineer on site and shoot everypipe it was bang on every time. I would go up to 700 ft then move the laser cause some ops tales were in the way. Has a remote to. Very handy cause every catch basin the grade would change and I could change it from inside the excavator. As for as the lr60 goes I'm ordering one tomorrow and hope it's worth it. Time will tell

  14. #14Shimmy12015-12-27 16:10

    If you put it on the bucket, you can achieve better than half-tenth accuracy. I used the angle compensate for about two months before I decided I wanted more accuracy. Problem with having it on the stick is your working range is about 10-15 feet out in front of the hoe and that's it. Then, you have the bucket curl to try and work with. I thought about getting just a plumb indicator for the bucket, but that doesn't help at all with the range. A lot of ditches are so deep or you have to sit so far away that the angle of the stick is such that you can't use it. Having it on the bucket solves both problems. I haven't had any problems with the 60 yet, if I do I'll take it to Fargo and have General check it out. If it were to have a catastrophic failure that required replacement I figure what it's made me I wouldn't like buying a new one, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

  15. #15Shimmy12015-12-27 16:21

    For trenching, I think you will be good to go. You will probably set it up to grade with the bucket fully dumped. Then, your measurement is from the bucket teeth to the receiver. I don't know how big of hoe you run, but with my 210 I can grade about 10-12' confidently in the range of the receiver. One other thing, if you can keep it on the dim setting, use it. The bright setting really kills the batteries. I don't have rechargables so I can't plug it in every night. I get at least a week out of alkalines.

  16. #16KSSS2015-12-27 18:22

    I have the Apache plus 5 version (predecessor to the Spectra version). I would kill to have a remote in the cab. They can be time savers on basements.

  17. #1790plow2015-12-27 21:24

    Shimmy could you post pics or a link to how you mounted your receiver to the bucket? Im interseted in getting one of these!

  18. #18Shimmy12015-12-27 21:38

    This is my tilt bucket. On my other ditch bucket, I just welded a receiver onto to outside edge of the header. The mast is movable from side to side on this bucket, or to the other bucket. You have to be careful welding the female part to the bucket though. This one is fine, but on my other bucket I had to spend several hours with a die grinder and stone, then a brake cylinder hone to true the inside so the last can insert into it.

  19. #19srjd2015-12-30 23:23

    Hey shimmy. I have a 320D so pretty much same size as you. I ordered the 60 yesterday it costed a pretty penny so I sure hope it's worth it. I might make a bucket mount like you did if I find the stick isn't cutting it. Post a few more pics of yours on the bucket close up I'd like to get an idea

  20. #20Shimmy12015-12-30 23:58

    Do you have a tilt bucket? I'll take some more of it if you do. I only put a receiver socket on one side of my 6' bucket, but I have another that I can hold up to the tilt bucket to show where I welded it on. Pics of the one that is on wouldn't do you any good. My buddy was running that bucket on my pond cleanouts and it's all covered up with frozen mud. I'll see tomorrow if I can clean it off a little to snap a pic or two. Been only around 0°F here for the last week so might be a bit of a job to clean it up. I'm not sure of the proper name, but what I used for the mast and receiver was two pieces of round tubing designed to fit into itself. The mast receiver is ¼" wall thickness tube that has a 1 7/16" inside diameter, and the mast is ¼" wall thickness tube that has 1 7/16" outside diameter. Then I got a piece of 1½" Schedule 40 black steel pipe, slide it over the mast, and fastened it to the mast pipe with a couple of good sheet metal screws from each side top and bottom. I wasn't intending to have to use the 1½" pipe, but the LR60 wouldn't clamp down tight on the 1 7/16" mast, and I wanted good, heavy stock to build it. It was the only stuff the shop had that fit together snug. If I did it again, I would get a 3' piece of the bigger stuff, and just use a foot or so piece of the small stuff to make a "stub" that I would weld into the mast.

  21. #21srjd2015-12-31 01:01

    No I don't have a tilt bucket. I want to make a mount for my 60 inch cleanup/ditching bucket. I need it to be solid. Could you explain the last part that you said if you had to do it over again. Sorry I just want to make sure I do it right. I think u asked this but is this ok for the lr-60 I feel on the buckets it's getting a little more wear and tear. Especially if I'm grading a basement and loading trucks at the same time. Or trying to get the ditch mud out.

  22. #22srjd2015-12-31 01:04

    Would be nice to have just a little nub welded on the bucket then I could attach a rod securely with reciever. When it's not in use just the rod and reciever out

  23. #23Twisted2015-12-31 07:59

    Weld on a 1-1/2" pipe coupler. Screw in a length of pipe when needed. Screw in a plug while not in use to keep the dirt out. You can weld these couplers wherever you want and attach the pipe as needed.

  24. #24srjd2015-12-31 19:07

    Thanks guys I like both ideas. When I fab something up I'll post a pic.

  25. #25Shimmy12015-12-31 19:28

    I couldn't get to my 6' bucket today. Here is where it's welded on though. The piece I'm using to illustrate is for the other side. I like to be able to swap sides. On a long ditch, I'll set up the laser in the middle, then when I reach it, I just pull the mast out and put it in the other side. I'll have the mast receiver at exactly the same height on the bucket so I don't have to re-adjust the laser receiver. I hold the receiver in with a 5/16 pin with a retainer loop.

  26. #26srjd2016-01-01 19:33

    What is the best size pipe for the lr60 to grab onto?

  27. #27Shimmy12016-01-01 19:46

    Has to be at least 1½" inside diameter. The spec sheet says minimum outside diameter of 1.66" round tube, or 1.5" square tube.

  28. #28pondo2016-01-04 09:30

    Any Comments on Leica mounted receivers? Understood they are not level compensating.

  29. #29srjd2016-01-07 18:28

    Hey shimmy any tips on setup. Picked up the lr60 today but didn't have much time to set it up as the sun was going down. I couldn't put it on quite the same angle as the setup shows because my auxillary lines were in the way so I got it close. Then with the bucket all the way open I put it on grade and moved the reciever till it went green. I know this isn't the proper way but I started digging and with the angle compensator on it was way off. What do you find works best or do you not mount it to the stick at all?

  30. #30Shimmy12016-01-07 20:15

    HeavyEquipmentForums . You need to download this if you didn't get the manual with your receiver. There is a procedure to program the distance from the receiver to the bucket teeth into the receiver. It has to be done properly for the angle compensation to work. It will not be close unless you follow the instructions.

  31. #31srjd2016-01-07 21:54

    Awesome that helps a lot. Thanks