Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator stumper repair

southernman13 · 2020-11-18 08:49

Have one for our PC200. We bought it used. We’ve stumped probably 20 acres with it and it’s wearing pretty good. It be nice to extend the shanks but not necessary. They were originally 1 1/2” thick. Thinking of adding some ar400 plate to each side of each shank or just building up what’s there with Hardfacing wire or rod. Looking for options and opinions. Thanks. Gonna try and post some pics

Replies13
  1. #1terex herder2020-11-18 08:58

    You build up with build up wire. The hard face is just a cap. Stay on top of it and reface as necessary.

  2. #2southernman132020-11-18 09:08

    Ok would a one pound spool be enough. Hard face with wire or rod. I’m a very good and experienced welder. Been welding and fabricating over 40 years but never have hard faced anything.

  3. #3treemuncher2020-11-18 23:18

    Read through the weld filler catalogs. There are many different types of hardfacing and build up materials available. I doubt you will need a high impact type but you will want something with lots of carbide to slow the abrasive wear. The catalogs can steer you to the correct product. From there, you can decide on wire or stick. There is also a product called Belzona. I'm sure that they had an available product in a carbide paste that may be suitable for the application. I had ordered from Rumford Industrial Group out of Ohio years ago. Think of Belzona as JB Weld on steroids with lots of different mixes for multiple applications. Their rubber compounds worked great on tires and rubber tracks. Time is money and Belzona always saved me time.

  4. #4southernman132020-11-19 06:52

    Tenfo. Thanks. I u tubed it and looks like wire is the way to go

  5. #5terex herder2020-11-19 08:26

    Belzona is not what you want. Great product in the correct application, but adhesion is the weak point. It will come off in chunks. Hard facing is expensive, and the minimum purchase size for wire will be a big bite, then you have to change the spool on the welder and back again. With stick rods you can buy smaller amounts of different types to try. If you like ebay, there are big bargains on hard face fillers from time to time. Its easy to research the manufacturers data to see if it will be suitable for your application.

  6. #6southernman132020-11-19 09:15

    Tenfo. Thanks again. I’ve heard the wire was expensive but good. I’ll research it

  7. #7Bls repair2020-11-19 13:03

    What about cutting the worn part off and putting a home made AR400 cutting edge back on

  8. #8southernman132020-11-19 16:38

    Definitely a possibility. I hadn’t Thought of that !

  9. #9Bls repair2020-11-19 22:18

    Full penetration and preheat needed . Make a little longer if you want.

  10. #10Tugger22020-11-19 22:59

    Remove and replace is a good option, but before I went to that length id find some good hard surface stick rod . Not sure if Arc Tec products are available where you are but id start with hardcro 63 some 1/8" its super hard abrasion resistant single pass only!.I wouldnt bother with a buildup rod as it probably just cook what metal you have there. Buy a small sleeve of it ,you will find lots of uses for it.Be warned it does crack across the bead but I have never seen a structural failure caused by that. Layout an area as Bls repair has shown. Then grind the sharp edge a bit flat so it wont burn and lay a single cold pass on the leading edge. Then turn it so the sides are flat and lay a tight diagonal pattern say 3/4" diamond on both sides.Stick rod will do this better than wire ,just keep it on the cold side but prehead your base. Makes your starts from the leading edge in gives a nice buildup lump that will act like a small tooth . This wont take a lot of time and it might surprise you how well it wears. In future consider that process a bit earlier and you will gain more use out of that attachment. If it dosent work just section it out and replace with 400 as Bls recommended.

  11. #11Shimmy12020-11-19 23:08

    I would guess 5 pounds might get you a good start.....

  12. #12southernman132020-11-20 04:07

    I may end up taking it to a local guy. Is rather donut myself but I just don’t have time anymore it seems. Can’t get caught up. Thanks for all the replies lotta good info!

  13. #13southernman132020-11-20 04:29

    Also if I wanted to lengthen it why not cut it in half and add to it. Cut it up by the b section and add a plate to it?