Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Safety ?

seatwarmer · 2020-11-18 00:08

Just a quick stop to pump the tyre !

Replies37
  1. #1OFF2020-11-18 00:21

    That guy is lucky to be alive. Walking funny....probably deaf for a while, but alive!

  2. #2_Weldman_2020-11-18 00:37

    Won’t need to change his britches, whatever would of come out has been compacted back in.

  3. #3Vetech632020-11-18 03:02

    When did he think it was going to have enough air?

  4. #4seatwarmer2020-11-18 03:39

    Around here thinking and science is a despised Western concept.

  5. #5farmerlund2020-11-18 09:21

    Yikes. My local tire shop owner just ripped his finger off on a 10.00-20 lock ring that was in the tire cage. Been a tire man all of his life. reached in to check the pressure and the ring blew off.

  6. #6skyking12020-11-19 22:02

    yikes indeed. When I was a high school lad, I worked at a gs station/tire shop evenings and weekends. We did not have a cage so I would hide behind the Coats 20/20 that was bolted to the floor and use the air hose and pedal to inflate the 16" split rims on the 60's Fords.

  7. #7AzIron2020-11-19 23:05

    We had one lowboy with split rims by the time I was in jr high the only way we ever worked on a tire was with a backhoe holding it down and a 5 foot air hose on the chuck

  8. #8Flat Thunder Channel2020-11-20 00:13

    Little grenading action. Scary stuff

  9. #9Nige2020-11-20 05:34

    I bet it cleaned the wax out of his ears.....

  10. #10Truck Shop2020-11-20 06:42

    I have seen on two different occasions the side wall {zipper} on new name brand tubeless 22.5's.

  11. #11Flat Thunder Channel2020-11-20 07:35

    Knock on wood I never blew up a tire, but have witnessed it happen. I'm accustom to thinking it's only old dry rotted worn out tires that are suspect to exploding. Tires with damaged side walls are also suspect. New tires!? Never thought about a new one giving away. Was it a chen zen special or were they just mishandled?

  12. #12John C.2020-11-20 10:33

    I was working at a small coal mine and had an office in a trailer that sat across a ditch from where the haul trucks were parked at night. The mine was running two shifts so the trucks would be parked when I came in each morning. I came in one morning and saw one of the trucks parked straight across from my office but didn't think much of it until I opened the door and saw everything on the ditch side of the office scattered all across the floor and lots of distortion in the wall paneling. I went outside and checked the ditch side of the trailer and saw the damage. I called my night mechanic to find out what he knew. The trucks were 773B with 21.00R35 tires and this particular truck came down to the shop late in the shift . The mechanic saw the bulge and had the truck parked and kept everyone away. He said it took about five minutes and it sounded like one of those blast boosters we used for blasting in the mine. I gave my guy lots of praise for recognizing the danger and making sure everyone was kept away from the truck. The mine mangers weren't so cavalier about using old recapped tires after that.

  13. #13Nige2020-11-20 10:57

    Haul truck tyres letting go reminds me of this event from a few years ago, but in this case it was a lightning strike that did it. The tyres didn't pop off until 4 minutes after the strike which is kinda scary. https://www.artc.com.au/uploads/Safety-Alert_2007-11-29.pdf

  14. #14seatwarmer2020-11-20 10:58

    Nige do you mean the ignorance concrete ?

  15. #15Nige2020-11-20 11:43

    I was attempting to be diplomatic.....

  16. #16OFF2020-11-20 11:45

    Somewhere in the archives here, is a thread about welding on rims. It's been proven that heat somehow causes a run-away chemical reaction inside the tire that ends with an explosion. I'm sure that's what happened in the lightning strike.

  17. #17Nige2020-11-20 11:53

    You are indeed correct sir. The thread in question for anyone who might not have seen it. Scary stuff. HeavyEquipmentForums

  18. #18Nige2020-11-20 12:07

    It also brings into focus a thread from a while ago regarding welding cracks in a loader wheel. Those of us who argued against the idea were somewhat in the minority ........... HeavyEquipmentForums

  19. #19mks2020-11-20 15:41

    Thanks for this.

  20. #20Truck Shop2020-11-20 19:15
  21. #21Truck Shop2020-11-20 19:23

    Name brand-one GY, one BS. Bad casings, flaw in side wall. Neither one on air up hit 80 psi before the sidewall started popping. Neither one exploded just a zipper sound as air separated the layers of side wall. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not flawed.

  22. #22Tugger22020-11-20 21:48

    This tire talk reminds me of a great tire man we had in a logging camp shop I worked in up coast.Worksafe inspector comes into camp and gives us the once over in the shop,interviewing each of us about various procedures in our trades. Gets to the tire man ,he looks around the tire shop and theres a split rim dent in the metal roof from years gone by. Whats your procedure on those split rims he asks? Tire man grabs an assembled tire and leans it against the tire cage ,gets his air hose . Then he climbs into the tire cage carefully puts the the safety chain s in their hooks ,reaches outside the cage and begins airing up the tire. Worksafe guy shakes his head walks away with a sour look on his face then heads to the cookhouse ,not sure if he wanted lunch or to pick on the cooks. We were all cracking up in the other end of the shop.

  23. #23Truck Shop2020-11-20 21:50

    Tugger-that's too funny!

  24. #24Tugger22020-11-20 21:58

    You gotta mess with those wide eyed people that just don't understand real work

  25. #25Tugger22020-11-22 21:32

    Best wide eyed engineer i caught on a job was one one that caught us welding some cable together on a crane. He was a PITA throughout the job. We were doing sheet pile on a river up north in november,one crane on land the other on a small sectional barge out in some serious river flow laced with ice about minus 20 and snowing. Had to change the mainline one day so we boomed down to the bank ,welded the new 3/4" line to the old one and reeled on to the barge, zipped it off and spooled it up . pulled the old line on the deck and went back to work. This engineer comes up takes pictures and asks us what we are doing . I said our cable is too short we are just adding some more. You can weld cable togehter he asks??Fu#k ya i said ,old piledrivers trick. He walks away fully convinced this was possible. Safety guys freak, i let it ride until the big weekly safety meeting and informed them it was just a safer way to get the new line on the drum given the conditions. Finally some fun on a job that wasnt fun at all.

  26. #26skyking12020-11-22 21:39

    Like pulling in a new spud wire, minus the little piece of chain

  27. #27Tugger22020-11-22 21:53

    I was going to ask you about the chain on the end of the spud wires on your rig pictures.

  28. #28skyking12020-11-22 22:29

    I don't know about those big arsed chains, the ones i am talking about are 3 links of 1/4" chain that you weld to the old spud wire and new one, so you can pull the new wire around the sheave in the pocket on the spud without having to pull the spud above the regular dog. It has worked every time we tried it. Saves getting in the water or hoisting the spud up with the crane.

  29. #29Tugger22020-11-22 22:37

    Yes . Similar to what i do . I just butt the ends of the cable together and weld them. Have always done that for topping lines where you dont want to re reeve new lines. I was working on a job in the shipyard a couple of years ago when they had to change the haulback line on the marine railway,8 parts 7/8" line running to a block buried uin the mud off shore. It was always a one week ordeal for them ,divers jetting the block clear of mud and reeving each part underwater. I suggested we weld the new line on the the existing and they all looked skeptical. 2Hrs later they were back in business

  30. #30skyking12020-11-22 22:39

    the butted weld doesn't go around that little sheave in the spud so well, hence the couple of chain links.

  31. #31cuttin edge2020-11-23 09:00

    No one is doubting your experience, or knowledge, but it's not a 994 Cat, or a Boeing 777, it's a wheel on a little 644 John Deere loader. Probably spends it's days in a pit, never sees the road, and privately owned. Not all these guys can afford to buy new rims. I agree the best thing would be to find the cause, like a bent hub, but a bead of weld on a deflated tire will do the job for now. I am on board with safety. I cut a front tire on a grader pretty deep, and refused to operate it on the road until they changed it , or at least put it on the rear. But I spend a lot of time on the road, and reach speeds of 50KMs. Not trying to change your position, and doubt I would, just trying to explain my thoughts on the matter. If a lot of old farmers had to buy new parts for their old Fergusons instead of weld, and haywire, they would have sold the farm

  32. #32Nige2020-11-23 09:27

    I absolutely understand your point regarding the size of the loader, and also the risk/reward balance of contemplating such a repair. However it's worth mentioning that if the loader owner's operation deals in any way with OSHA or MSHA the chances are that they would get written up for such a repair during an inspection. My opinion, others are available. I know well what farmers do, I grew up around them ...........

  33. #33AzIron2020-11-23 17:56

    Msha definitely a new rim cant get around that Now farming and a cracked tractor rim I think we bandaided a rim for times till the rim cracked to the bead but that crack happened from being way over loaded I would roll the dice on the loader and hope for the best especially a rear tire

  34. #34HardRockNM2020-11-23 18:36

    I've never seen an MSHA inspector look that closely at a piece of iron. They'll usually have the operator demonstrate the horn, lights, brakes, backup alarm, and take a look at the fire extinguisher. A rim repair wouldn't even be on their radar.

  35. #35AzIron2020-11-23 18:44

    You are correct Till the accident report then that will be the reason for the rim to be made of inferior material not sure if osha would be as bad but osha will never know unless someone gets maimed or dead msha would catch it in there yearly audit of near miss reports

  36. #36Mother Deuce2020-11-28 02:57

    MSHA inspectors usually come from industry and are particularly interested in things in their particular scope of experience. You have one that is particularly interested in fire extinguishers, another in electrical date inspection tape, another in guarding and handrails and so on. They are trained to see and try to catch all deficiencies in mine safety. However they have a history and have seen many of the “outside of parameters” Mickey Mouse that we have all seen. The former operator or mechanic inspector will find you eventually. Been there, saw that movie.

  37. #37John C.2020-11-28 12:02

    I had an MSHA guy make us pull all the covers off the electrical outlet boxes so he could check that the ground wires were hooked up.