Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator Stumping: Bucket vs Ripper/Stumper

1026phr ยท 2015-04-26 14:08

Using an excavator to remove stumps in some forest patches we are clearing. Clearings are about 1.5 acres or so. Currently using a 36" trenching/dig bucket. Folks have recommended a ripper for stumping. In doing an internet search it looks like Solesbee has a two-tined style ripper specifically for stumping. Strikes me that on face, the two tined versions may be handier in stumping than a single tooth ripper. Would be interested in folks experience on bucket vs ripper for stumping. Also if folks have experience with the two-tined Solesbee style stumping attachment vs an single tine ripper. Thanks...

Replies2
  1. #1Tags2015-04-26 18:57

    I have a ripper for my 12000lb and my 32000lb machine and each machine has a quick coupler. If I'm going to a job with stumps with either machine the ripper comes along as well. It makes stumping much so much easier and faster. Both machines have hydraulic thumbs as well so as I stump I move them along with me. After I'm done I put the digging bucket on and quickly rake and blade the area that's been stumped to gather any roots and to rough grade the area. I've seen those solesbees twin tine stumpers advertised as well and always wondered if it was any good....

  2. #2maddog2015-04-28 07:12

    I have a smaller machine that I made a ripper for, makes the chore much easier. I have taken oak trees out that are 24''daimeter+, IMO it's easier on the machine also.