Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator tree saw or shear

05rammer ยท 2016-12-21 09:31

I am thinking about offering limb cutting services to my business. I am in a farm community and was thinking trimming limbs around fields would be a good thing to offer. I was wondering whether you guys thought a saw or shear would be better, and which manufacture you'd recommend. I was looking a turbo saw or timberline tree shear.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies10
  1. #1lumberjack2016-12-21 10:45

    What size excavator are you thinking of putting it on?

  2. #205rammer2016-12-21 11:13

    I was thinking 8 to 10 ton, maybe bigger if it would work better.

  3. #3Tones2016-12-21 15:33

    I have thought about this for quite a few years and reckon a rotating grab with a hydraulic chain saw would be the go, kind of like a falling head the forestry blokes use but smaller and have it so the saw folds well clear so it can be used as a grab only.

  4. #4hvy 1ton2016-12-21 16:00

    I don't know how hard it would be to get them to build one for an 80, but I want one of these with a saw. http://rotobec.com/attachments/rpa-rake/#panel1

  5. #505rammer2016-12-21 17:31

    I kind of like that idea hvy 1ton, wonder how small of an excavator the one with the saw could be mounted on.

  6. #6lumberjack2016-12-21 21:16

    This is what I was thinking. My video in a similar application, clearing volunteer trees along a fence line. This saw has a 14" single cut capacity, although double/triple cutting will quickly get you to lazy to get out and do hand work. I have a few videos up, the link should be to a playlist with several of my videos. The saw can run a longer bar with a fairly simple modification to the box (cut and weld an extension on it), or, there is a larger model of the grapple saw with a stock 20" single cut capacity. The Kubota KX057 is the smallest size for all around work with the size in the videos. In some applications you could run it on a 4 ton excavator. In this video I cut and windrowed 75 trees in an hour. I turned the butts so they all faced the direction I was traveling so we could come back through and chip them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GWS1OC4g4&list=PLgVC-UFZAmLVLD8L3QqwsMLFC4n7y0rSd&index=4

  7. #7cps2016-12-24 17:23

    Id recommend a shear as there much safer than a saw!, have a look at our range of shears and let me know what you think? Aiden

  8. #8RockingBarF2017-01-03 13:03

    Check out m&m engineering coffeyville ks I have their shear n it's a beast they have skid loader and exavators mounts Dixon Missouri. welder/rancher/heavy equipment

  9. #9Tones2017-01-03 18:29

    Aiden, I'm not being picky but when you put the mounting pins in, can you put them in from the other side. The reason being is that when the retaining bolt comes out the first thing the operator sees is the pin coming out and sometimes it can be a PITA to get it back in. By putting the pin in the other way gives the operator a fair chance to notice the retaining bolt loose or missing before the pin moves. Looks like a good bit of gear you have there.

  10. #10DIYDAVE2017-01-03 20:14

    I have one of these, it works pretty good, but is a real heavy beast, on an ASV RC30. Would work better, on 50+ HP unit... https://youtu.be/M8YTaTpojSk