Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

exhaust brake on tractor

big blu ยท 2011-09-13 00:45

I would like to put an exhaust brake on my tractor....I know that may not make sense to most people, but I move hay with it and the brakes are getting expensive to replace. On a hill, or traffic idiots, it would be nice to slow down quickly without having to use so much wheel brake. Has anyone done this or similar??

Replies19
  1. #1Haddy2011-09-13 15:52

    Yes I guy I knew tryed one on his tractor , about 20 years ago now . He used to cart silage down a road and wanted one so he wasn't on the brakes all the way . He blew a manifold gasket but from what I remember the idea worked

  2. #2Swamp rat2011-09-13 18:06

    We use them on some of the tractors pulling pans in the mines hauling dirt , works good and lot cheaper than reworking brakes all the time. Comm

  3. #3stumpjumper832011-09-13 21:21

    i dunno why the engineers dont equip farm tractors with exhaust brakes & air compressors, i guess it would just make too much sense... What kinda tractor is it?

  4. #4big blu2011-09-13 22:58

    Thanks for the feedback. What kind of brake do you use in the mines, Swamp Rat? I talked to PacBrake and they told me there isn't enough backpressure--there sure is when going down a big hill, loaded.... Stumpjumper, I have a 1994 Ford 8770. 7.5L Ford diesel six cylinder. Can I just install one or do I have to do something more?

  5. #5Richardjw~2011-09-14 05:42

    They do nowadays, these options appear on most manufacturers list for the prospective purchasers, but in the era of the 8770 neither were available from Ford New Holland, at the time only likes of Fendt et. al responding to market demands went in for this mainly because their customer base was in Holland & Germany doing more haulage than others You may be lucky to get an after-market air-brake kit, for example in U.K. there is Erentek who specialise in Ag. air-brake conversions, for exhaust brakes.....good luck

  6. #6Haddy2011-09-14 06:33

    As long as you get a exhaust brake , that is the right size to fit the pipe that you have now ,and get something to activate it , why won't it work ?

  7. #7carlsharp2011-09-14 18:01

    I agree with Haddy- one like this, for example- http://www.brakesystemsinc.com/pdf/blueox_11_07.pdf from http://www.brakesystemsinc.com/ Just do a web search for "universal exhaust brake valve"

  8. #8big blu2011-09-14 23:13

    Thanks, Guys! I will do some more checking on this and plan to do soon! I will let you all know how it turns out. Sure could have used one today when hauling in and out of the river bottom... One concern I have is if an exhaust brake communicates with vehicle computer?

  9. #9icestationzebra2011-09-15 00:10

    Even though you can put an exhaust brake on your tractor doesn't make it a good idea. We hauled a 5,000 gallon liquid slurry tanker with our Allis 8550 and used the engine from much of our braking (no engine brake). After a couple of years the transmission was shot and we had to replace almost every gear due to wear. Everything in the drivetrain is designed to be loaded almost exclusively to propel the tractor, not provide extended braking. Not to say you can't get away with it, but don't be surprised when something breaks. I thought about electric trailer brakes but I have no experience with them. Air compressors, air brakes and pintle hitches are offered on European versions of tractors as they tend to haul with them much more than in North America. I believe this started after WWII when the GI's left quite a few large trailers behind because they weren't worth shipping back. Given the popularity of Fords in Europe you should be able to find the parts to equip your tractor with a factory designed air brake system, but will probably be expensive when you consider VAT and shipping. ISZ

  10. #10big blu2011-09-17 00:48

    I have contacted the guys at Brake Systems Inc. We should be able to figure something out on an exhaust brake. I just have to get some dimensions, etc and decide what type and model to use. Icestationzebra, you bring out some good points. Those things you mentioned are exactly why I want to do this. I have been lucky so far on the engine and trans holding up (although I am fairly careful about engine rpm and downshifting). That first year or so of the learning curve was kind of hard on the ol' brake system....replaced brakes at 000's of dollars. I don't want to do that again if I can help it. Thanks again, guys.

  11. #11nickbowers2011-09-17 05:01

    just put a butter fly valve on the pipe

  12. #12redline2011-09-17 06:34

    all the sugar cane hauling bins here in aus use air brakes on the trailers, with maxi park brakes the same as the semi trailers run, a 30t bin behind a 9t tractor with 4 braking wheels will pull u up real fast from 40km/hr, believe me we used them on som steep hills and gullies and they worked without fail

  13. #13big blu2011-09-17 21:05

    I would love to have an air brake system, but to put one on my tractor would be cost prohibitive for me. Believe me, the next tractor I get will have that option on it. Thanks for the replies!

  14. #14Volvomad2011-09-18 20:08

    In Ireland and England air brakes are a Relatively new thing. since the mid 80's most tractors were equiped with a hydraulic trailer brake valve using the tractors hydraulic pump to work the trailer brakes. So then we started hooking the older tractors up to one of the spool valves. It does not meet regulations anymore but worked very well. Using a standard artic trailer axle and replacing the air chambers with 3/4 in bore X 3 to 4 in stroke hydraulic rams or similar gives pretty good brakes.

  15. #15Richardjw~2011-09-20 06:55

    yes, you're absolutely right, makes a big difference, doesn't it I was shifting grain over the summer, 8 tons of the stuff on a tandem axle trailer and our 885XL/4 - something more accustomed to 4 ton trailers......anyway it held the trailer up a treat especially well going down hills and stopped where you wanted without skid marks ..... not sure if the US trailers have this type of brakes or not.....maybe just a ship's anchor I worked in a dealership in the early 90s so know only too well of the damage loaded trailers did to tractor brakes, our part of the world being notably hilly...... in those days there were 2wd 956s flying around the place with cut-down truck chassis and home-made 10 ton trailers none had brakes and sooner or later the brakes burnt out.

  16. #16Swamp rat2011-09-20 08:07

    Hello Big Blu - been away and not on the computer much, the only one i have been around is on cummings engines on 1 ton trucks and up to the tractors , which are 500 and 530 horsepower. When you are pulling 3 pans with 20 yards of dirt in each you need all the help you can get, on the newer pans some also have brakes installed on the tires as well. Should be able to install a ex. brake on pretty much any engine with a little modifications. It will impress you on how well they assist in stopping.

  17. #17chevota842011-09-20 15:05

    Make sure the exhaust valve springs are strong enough for the backpressure. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  18. #18big blu2011-09-20 22:47

    I have discussed the exhaust valve question with brake systems person, but he didn't know how to go about finding out how strong they are. Any ideas how I go about that?

  19. #19562C2011-12-10 07:45

    build your trailer with truck axles designed for air brakes, not a tough mod to put a hydraulic cylinder in place of an air pot.... no mods to teh tractor and the brakes are where you need them the most.