Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Exhaust burns eyes. Stinks

Tja349 · 2022-04-24 20:37

Komatsu pc35. 2010 2000 hrs I bought this at auction Had a ticking injector that had jb weld holding the little fuel line on. Replaced it. No more tic. Only issue is the exhaust is terrible. kind of smells rich or something. I just used it for about an hr and my eyes are killing me. Any ideas on the cause?

Replies13
  1. #1grandpa2022-04-24 20:48

    Air filter clean?

  2. #2Tja3492022-04-24 21:12

    Yea it didn’t look bad. That would make the exhaust smell?

  3. #3Shimmy12022-04-24 21:27

    PC35 probably small enough that the exhaust is dirt old diesel exhaust. If some dumbass JB welded something on an injector, it probably hasn't had the best care taken of the fuel system. Probably needs a valve set as well as some premium fuel with some Deere injector cleaner ran through it.

  4. #4Delmer2022-04-24 23:27

    Use up the tank of fuel, or drain it and use it in something bigger or a brush pile or whatever. Use it a couple days with fresh fuel and see if it improves. Late timing could change the exhaust, but run it a while before bothering to check that.

  5. #5MarshallPowerGen2022-04-24 23:52

    What color smoke is coming from the exhaust?

  6. #6Tja3492022-04-25 06:38

    Doesn’t smoke

  7. #7Vetech632022-04-25 08:16

    Maybe you need a taller exhaust stack?

  8. #8kshansen2022-04-25 09:37

    Also is it getting up to temperature, say 180ºF? Cold running engines can be nasty smelling.

  9. #9Tja3492022-04-25 12:14

    I believe so. Used it last night. It was cookin I’ll put some new fuel in it’s almost empty. And add the injector cleaner

  10. #10zeroo2022-04-25 19:01

    Usually injectors are what makes that burning smell. Not bad enough to smoke yet maybe.

  11. #11kshansen2022-04-25 19:49

    Well if it was an old 1960's END711 Mack I would say it's running just like new! At least everyone I was ever around would gag you big time when first started and let idle!

  12. #12MarshallPowerGen2022-04-25 20:15

    If it really is the eye burning level of unburnt fuel; It's most likely going to be leaky injectors, IP timing or as stated before running cold.

  13. #13cw4Bray2022-05-08 09:36

    IARC classifies diesel engine exhaust as “carcinogenic to humans,” based on sufficient evidence ...