Looking at purchasing a ripper shank. Looking for input on the off shore after market ripper shanks. Any comments? Any experience with off shore sourced ripper shanks?
The ripper shank is for a D6 dozer. That is a usefull piece of information I left out of the post.
I have seen good ones and not so good ones. No experience with D-6 size. Mine are D-8 and D-9. I have heard stories of D-9 rippers that after one long pass just folded over sideways. I have also seen them break tips off and break right at the toolbar. On the other hand, I had some aftermarket ones on a D-9R that laster for nearly 9000 hours, and were still in good shape when the dozer got sold. More helpful info might be the specific brand or source.
I had an aftermarket shank on a D8, it was 1 piece so it did not have the forged nose like Cat shanks. Held up OK for my area ( mostly hardpan) the hole for the tooth pin was a little to big and the pin would shift is really the only thing I can say bad about it. Bought it from Cutting Edge Supply, don't know its orgin
If it says made in china on it turn around and run as far as you can, as fast as you can for as long as you can. They will be pure junk because of the quality issues with chinese produced items. That is why many cast steel and forged items are coming back to the US to be produced.
mate all i got to say that is the biggest BS i have ever heard there is some bad stuff in china but also a lot of good things too like i bet you would not even know how much of that suposed made in the USA is made over seas i was at Caterpillars factory in *****ong the other week watching them making 900 buckets to send to the USA for all there new 6-45ton machines. also the thing is when you are looking at buying imported products make sure the guy who is buying knows what he is looking at or else he will just find the cheapest and well you get what you pay for.
JSG, I have seen some of the stuff that Cat has brought in here from china too in their wheel loader plant in Aurora, Il. It is pure crap. I don't know what it is with you guys down under but you seem to have drank the chinese koolaide a whole lot more then we have here. I guarantee you that the steel plate, castings and forgings used to make those buckets is substandard to what we make and use here. Komatsu brought a bunch of bucket teeth here from china several years ago and wound up melting them for scrap. I have ranted on here about chinese quality for a long time. I have been there numerous times in the last 25 years and seen it first hand. When it comes to quality the chinese just plain don't get it. Latest case I heard of was a bunch of large iron castings. Did not match up to mating piece. chinese attitude was stick it, this is the way we decided to make it. So don't tell me it is the biggest BS you have ever seen. Oh ya, City of Chicago has 640 passenger train cars sitting right now that they can't use due to deffective suspension parts that came from china. I guess that is just more of the biggest BS you have ever seen.
Mate when was the last time you where in china? also mate i bet i can build a better bucket in my factory in china then you can get mate in the states.
Mate, the last time I was in china was this past February. I first went there in 1985. I install and start up foundry and steel mill equipment all over the whole damn planet. I am a Metallurgical Engineer with over 40 years, yes, count them, over 40 years experience. By now I know what **** quality is. Just because a piece of steel plate or a casting looks good on the outside does not mean that it has the proper chemistry required by the particular grade of material or the proper tensile strength and elongation properties. When you start with **** steel and **** castings, you get **** end product. I would not expect someone like you who has drank the chinese koolaide till it obviously is coming out of his ears to understand anything about what it takes to make high quality steel and castings.
I think something like a ripper shank is definitely not where i'd look to save some money.
I think for whats its worth you both need to take a chill pill, greg, you say we drink sort of aide? think again buddy, the drink you mentioned dosent get sent or made or consumed in "Down Under Australia", thank god, and the Down under was only replig to the thread in a civil manner and then you ran the Pro-Qualifications over him, I have bought a number of China imported machines and had 1 major problem thats life, draw a breath ,thank god you can get back to this reply on two legs,breath and remember ....Its Nice to be Nice. (and its cost nothing).
Garrie, that is a good bit of script you posted, I often think the happiest days I have spent on this Earth, I failed to notice at the time?? the fact that often the after-market parts made in any part of the World are usualy very cheap to buy compaired with the "Genuine item" would make me happy to give em' a try, these parts are usualy covered with some form of warranty, so its worth a trial at the very least?
I agree with you entirely, I see youre from U.K. which reminded of my beloved Fergy Te20 that I just recently put new Hydraulic pump in, she still purring like kitte great older style tractor it brings me great joy. Have a good winter. Garrie
Garrie, in the U.K. its our "Summer Bit" right now, its rained just about every day for about a month, plus the temps have been down to very low numbers in the past week with an amount of Frost oven night, so you could say "It an't Hot", the central heating stay's on yet another month?? but glad to hear your still happy with the Fergy, the parts for these little bangers are a lot easier to get than Komatsu bits plus the price of em' is only a few buttons, whats not to like about em'
Garrie, my apologies to you it seems that JSG is an Aussie who has wound up in china as I recall. It seems that many other countries on the face of this planet are more prone to accepting the chinese made items then we are here in the US. I make my points about chinese quality as a Metallurgical Engineer with over 40 years experience in the foundry and steel industries as well as being a contractor. Again, I have been to china as well as many other countries on this planet installing and starting up foundry and steel mill equipment. I have seen first hand what they produce, how they produce it and what their quality is now and has been in the past. As far as runnning my professional qualifications at him, he asked for it as to how I thought I knew what I was talking about. You state yourself that the only problem you have with chinese machines is life. Exactly what I have been getting at and the point I have been trying to make.
Greg mate i bet you are a lonly old bitter bloke about your job going off shore. and also you say you are this great steel and metal expert you have not shown me on example of this you are yet to give me one peace of everdence to believe you you wont even put you here a few chemical properties to show you findings. oh and by the way 40 years in the industry i know 40 year operators who are still crap operators mate so what else can i say years doing a job if you have been doing it for 40 years the wrong way ................ P.S my name is JGS
Also just so you know Greg i was sent to china to work for you beloved CAT that is how i ended up over here as a quality control officer for there excavator factory in jiangsu .
Reminds me of the same drill with Japan after War II. Quality was crap in the beginning....eventually became some of the best. Now it's China's turn, hopefully they will get to where quality means something. Like it or not that's the way it's all going....until the next poverty nation takes over the role. Can't see where it's ever coming back here and eventually we won't even know how to manufacture.
Fair enough greg, you make a good point re their quality assurance, there is none. What I have found you either get lucky with a buy that has come from one of the better factories with mabye more skilled workers, better quality parts or whatever and then you see a lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOt of duds that should never have left the factory in the first place. I guess you have to way up the punt because thats what youre really doing bying from over there, cheaper and maybe good enough for your needs or go spend more and hopefully at least have some warranty behind the dearer product. Like they say life is like a box of chocolates, somehow I think the chiese assembly is missing heaps of coco sometimes. thanks for your reply greg and have prosperity tommorow. Garrie.
Exactly.
China, is well rooted now in the U.S.A. building Cranes etc (Sany) they have employed "rent a pencils" engineers and design staff World wide with things happening super fast, in the U.K. its hard to find old scrap plant as its all been shipped out East to feed the ever increasing demand for Steel, the involvment with Ore deposits in Africa etc by China is best decribed as staggering in its size, the amount of fancy cars that the U.K. sells to China is untrue, Rolls Royce, Bently, Jaguar,Range Rover etc are being shipped over by the boat load, so they know about what quality is supposed to look and feel like, its comming out in Texas in the shape of Sany Cranes
My experience the bad one , was a China copy of a Nissan diesel that was in my bob-cat that a bought it is a (wombat) Ht50 skid-steer. The motor dropped a piston top and destroyed the con-rod, well not destroyed bent like a Qld banana. So next step source replacement motor, come in WCM in Adelaide from memory, price was good, complete motor, relatively easy change over, and everything going honky-dory until 20 hours on meter. Starts over heatind within 30 miutes of start up, O.K Heah Gasket blownmabye, no oil in the sump. Head off and sent to Budaberg engineering firm and had head machined, the guy who did the job said that the original machinig job looked like a 1st year apprentice had practiced on it, O.K. Head back on new gasket valve timing etc, guess what Nooooooooo different, Im guessing that the bottom piston lier seal on a cylinder has let go and heating the water, none in the oil and the machine runs fine apart from having to stop every 30 mnutes to cool down ad avoid boil overs, they might they might know what quality is supposed to look ad feel like but in my case sorry..... No can see or feel today on your engine. Garrie.
Im not having a go at you tctractors ( a christian name would be good), But everything coming out of there is not all that good all the time, thats all. Garrie.
Garrie , TC stands for Tony Coates . How did you go ,Get the 70CI out of the Gully ?
JSG, there, I got it right this time. I am anything but a "lonely bitter old bloke" who's job went off shore. As far as quality goes, I point to pipe cast pipe fittings such as elbows, tees and pipe unions that leak and the threads don't match to other pieces. That means porous iron in the fittings. Threads not matching is just plain poor tooling and no quality control. Iron and steel castings of all types used for machine tools, which have porosity, burn in, shrink holes, slag inclusions, and are dimensionally out of tolerance. Brake rotors for automotive use which have been modified by the chinese producers to make them lighter and save on iron which do not now meet our safety standards here. Steel angles and channels that are inconsistent in tensile strength and elongation properties because of improper cooling during production. Twist drills that either break or will not hold an edge because they are either hard or soft. As far as chemistry goes since that seems to be your latest kick here, the above physical properties short coming of the iron and steel products I am talking about come from to high of Sulfur and Phosphorus content, (S and PH) to us metallurgists, Carbon, Silicon, being out of specification, Chrome and Nickel content being wrong. A critical part of steel making is also cooling rates. Cool to fast, to hard, cool to slow, to soft. Inconsistent cooling and you get a mish mash of hard and soft spots. Castings that leak are caused by improper gating and risering prior to putting the piece into production. Do it wrong and you have porosity and shrinks. That leads to leaking parts. So when you put the total lack of quality control mentioned by Garrie Dennie, up a couple of posts here, along with the chinese way of doing business which is copy it, steal the design if you can, make it the way you want to no matter if it meets specifications or not this is what you get. Oh ya, one more thing. The City of Chicago has 640 train coaches sitting right now that they can't use due to defective steel castings in the wheel suspension. Guess where they came from. You are right guys, china. They were made incorrectly as usual. To date there has been no response from the foundry who produced them as to how to rectify the problem. Furthermore, none is expected. So put that in your fricking chinese pipe and smoke it JSG. On other posts here you have even admitted to crap chinese towers and how the dealer leaves town in the middle of the night. The japs learned about quality over the run of about 20 years. Your precious chinese have been at it for almost 30 and still don't seem to have a clue. When trying to talk quality my last two trips to your precious china I was told that "I didn't understand the foundry and steel industry in china." In other words, it seems they don't want to be concerned with quality. Not going to mention names here, but one of Cat's competitors have pulled cast steel parts from production in china and brought it back here becasue they break. My local plumbing supply house has dropped chinese produced pipe and pipe fittings becasue the fittings leak and the pipe won't thread properly. Several companies that produce hand tools are now advertising with great fanfare their "Made in the USA" items which they have returned here for production. I am not the only one on here that posts this kind of stuff about your precious chinese quality JSG.
Greg, Your mention of threaded fittings hit a sore spot with me. I use a fair amount of Chinease hydraulic fittings and for the most part they have been ok......up until I had the occassion to couple three 90 degree elbows together and could not assemble without a skewed angle. Sent them back and got another set just like them.....makes a good test for anyones fittings. So long as the Chinese ignore material properties, fit and quality control they are never going to be very well accepted. Unfortunately they are rapidly becoming a sole source supply. Another question I have is how long can American Companies price this Chinease garbage based on US prices instead of the roughly 10% cost of China production. Sure have been getting away with it for sometime now.
Garrie, I dont think for a second you are poking 1 into me, the China built stuff is known to be sh#t, everyone knows this fact, CAT as a company insist on the suppliers of components get a % of components from this part of the World?? I could place more script about this point if needed? last year I worked in Hong Kong twice and had first hand experience of crap from start to finish, I bought a bucket full of wood screws, all of them where junk, the heads would twist off after a few turns, the wood saw I bought I dont think would cut wet sand, it was again crap? then there was the plastic cable ties (pull tags??) they ether snapped off or streched like elastic bands? I dont know of anything that is made in China that is best discribed as "Good stuff" years ago the Italian after market parts were branded as crap, but they were ten times better crap than the stuff coming out of China, the CAT after market parts are near all now made in China, plus they are now owning massive factorys in the U.S.A. to build Cranes Excavators plus all sorts of other items so now even the made in the U.S.A. tag might need a good hard look, check out what SANY own in the States it an't hard to do. tctractors
tctractors, thank you for your confirmation. Here in the states the chinese are probably held to a higher standard because of ISO 2000 quality standards which many companies adhere to and require their suppliers to also. Next, are the chinese actually building someting here, or are they simply assembling here from chinese imported items. As for sole source of supply Old Magnet, it is swinging back the other way. Foundries here in the US are once again "balls to the wall busy" for several reasons including production being returned here from china because of the **** quality and **** poor product support. Thanks guys for reinforcing my statements.
No probs greg, I only want you to be happy.
Hi Tony yes I had a win there, last week-end went back up home from Brisbane and had a large semi-trailer recovery vehicle pull her out, it was a big sucker had 3 winches on the back with steel cable about 25-32 mm in diamater, I dont think it even knew it was pulling anything. My dozer weighs about 8.5 Tons + add another mabye 3-4 for the 45-60 degree it was pulling at. It made my weekend. Garrie.
By the way Lake side Bob sure got his moneys worth out of his thread, I just not sure if he got an answer yet.