Looking to understand the difference between a 3 way hydraulic valve and a 4 way. I am adding a ripper to my IH 500E dozer and I have a extra 4 way standard bonnet valve and was wondering if that would work. It has a 4 way with float for the blade, 4 way standard bonnet for the tilt and a 4 way for the angle with 2500 relief for the tilt and 3000 for the angle. Looking at the parts book it seems to point to a 3 way valve with a detent bonnet for rear accessories. I am not sure what the differences are. Thanks Joe
I'm probably speaking out of turn here, but I'm thinking a 4 way means it has the float detent? I'm sure it would probably work, you'd want to make sure you plumbed the "lower" circuit into the side with float. You would just have a float function for the ripper.
Three way valve is for a single acting cylinder, has pressure and tank ports, one work port. Power up, gravity down. Four way valve has two work ports for a double acting cylinder, power in both directions, or a motor to run forward and reverse.
I did a little internet searching after the post and came to that understanding. The rippers would have to be double acting and need the 4 way valve body. Not sure why the parts book doesn't show that.