Anyone have any real world experience on the actual benefits of an explosion-proof sewage lift pump? The pump is a Hydromatic HPG200 grinder pump, it was spec for construction to be explosion-proof, and they are $1200 more than standard. Our PWC is going to say we need to install exactly what we had, the pump guys say it's not worth the extra money. What say you guys?
What kinda of facility is said pump at.
A lift station. It's basically a manhole about 16' deep, pump is at the bottom. Always under water.
I don't see how a regular pump could cause an explosion if it's always under water, unless the pump gets stuck on and the water level drops....
I meant like is it at a warehouse , a repair shop , gas station, is there any hazards nearby that could even call for having an boom proof pump.
If it calls for explosion proof why is it even a question of what to be put back in? I sure wouldn't assume any liability by putting something different in.
Who's decision is this? I wouldn't worry one bit about a lift station pump if you have any say in the matter. The only real world benefit is if you're in court after it explodes
Our sumps at the landfill i worked at , the pumps may have been explosion proof possibly but the wiring sure the heck wasnt , the control boxes were weather proof but not boom proof. I would say like a couple others if it calls for boom proof use it as im sure customer is paying for it anyways .
If it explodes, hopefully nothing will remain of the pumps to come back at you!