Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Extendahoe problems

Frederick T Haas · 2020-11-24 07:34

I have a Case 590 Super m with pilot controls, I think it is a 2015, the problem is sometimes when I extend the hoe it will not return, I have to shut the hyd switch on and off several times to get it to come back, and it seems to be getting worse, everything else works fine. Any help I could get would be appreciated.

Replies12
  1. #1Vetech632020-11-24 07:53

    Some questions....... 1. The hydraulic switch should cut out all hydraulic functions so the switch cant be the issue. Does it do this at any length of boom when retracting or only at the end (fully extended)? 2. Is the engine under a hydraulic load when this happens? When you extend fully and retract fully the engine should sound like the same rpms when the cylinder is bottomed out. 3. Have you noticed if when extended, does the extension look like its not inline with the main boom? Wear pad failure? Several things could cause this kind of problem. We need to narrow the scope of what to look for.

  2. #2Batu2020-11-24 12:31

    How long has this problem been going on ? If you continue to use it like this for a long time, it may cause bigger problems.

  3. #3Frederick T Haas2020-11-24 15:27

    I figured the hyd switch wasn't the problem. It doesn't matter how far you extend it, it won't come back, everything seems to be in line, and when extended if you push the button to extend you can hear the engine rpm change a bit, but not when you are trying to get it back. Once it comes back it seems to work ok after that. We don't use it continuasly very often, we are a trash service and we use it to pack the trash into a trailer, and when unloading a truck we use the extendahoe to push the trash out of the way. We do have a guy who packs the trash with the hoe out, I assume that can't be good on it. The problem started about a month ago, and as I said it seems to be getting worse, I would hate for it to get stuck all the way out.

  4. #4Frederick T Haas2020-11-24 15:29

    Where are these wear pads located?

  5. #5Frederick T Haas2020-11-24 15:46

    I may have posted my reply in the wrong place, new to this, let me know if you don't see it, thanks.

  6. #6Vetech632020-11-24 15:48

    It just almost sounds like the piston nut is loose on the cylinder rod. Could possibly be the circuit relief for the retract side on the control section. If I were a betting man I’m steering toward a cylinder issue.

  7. #7Frederick T Haas2020-11-24 16:20

    Thanks, I will check that out in the morning

  8. #8kith2020-11-26 09:00

    Have you tried the stabilizers when this happens? The controller for these functions is above the rear axle on the left side. It has a red light on it that will flash a code if it malfunctions. Just reread your post ,is it the extendahoe that quits or all the hydraulics?

  9. #9GreeleyFarms2023-01-05 11:11

    Does anyone have the flash code legend for the controller? Same issue on my 2004 580 Super M Series 2.

  10. #10gggraham2023-01-05 11:28

    Sounds like a problem with the switches in the handle (quite common) Complete pilot Guide attached. Replace both switches not just one.

  11. #11gggraham2023-01-05 11:29

    Codes and guide attached in previous post

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-01-05 17:04

    If the piston nut was loose I think if the extend was in even a little it would move a little if you tried pulling on something with the bucket.