Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

External flange bottom track rollers

cjmc · 2020-02-20 12:52

hi all I’m putting a full new set of bottom rollers on my ex60-3 undercarriage. 5 rollers each side. All old rollers are internal flange type. Dealer that I bought the parts from supplied me with 6 internal flange rollers and 4 external flange rollers, He said this was a better job for keeping the tracks inline. He said to mount the external flange rollers at the 4 corners of the undercarriage, next to the sprockets and idlers. What’s people’s opinion on this? Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1Bls repair2020-02-20 15:36

    What %of wear on the track chain

  2. #2cjmc2020-02-20 16:55

    Chains are being replaced, basically everything except the track motors is being replaced on the undercarriage.

  3. #3Nige2020-02-21 08:46

    When you say "internal flange rollers" do you mean the rollers only have a flange on the inside, or do they have one both inside and outside like the illustration below.?

  4. #4cjmc2020-02-21 15:02

    By Internal flange I mean there are only flanges on the inside, external only have flanges on the outside. Rang the dealer again today to double check and he said to put them at the corners, next to idlers and sprockets.

  5. #5Nige2020-02-21 15:34

    I have no idea if the combination of inside & outside flanged rollers is correct for the machine but if it is what the dealer says is correct. The outside-flanged rollers should go next to the sprocket and the idlers, the inside-flanged roillers in the centre of the track frames.

  6. #6cjmc2020-02-21 15:51

    Ya that’s the way I mounted them alright. I presume there is no inside or outside to the rollers themselves, they looked symmetrical and would have bolted on either way? Thanks

  7. #7Nige2020-02-21 16:19

    If they are oil-filled you'll see a small rubber plug in the end of the roller shaft (see the illustration above). Those plugs normally all mount facing the same way (either facing to the inside of the machine or to the outside) but for your machine I'm sorry I have no idea which way is correct.

  8. #8cjmc2020-02-21 16:40

    Thanks for the reply. Ya my new rollers all have a plug on one end of the shaft. But the old ones I took off had a plug at each end, so I guess it doesn’t really matter which way around they are.

  9. #9John C.2020-02-21 19:51

    I always put the plugs to the outside. If I need to put grease in a leaker, it's got easy access.