Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Extreme duty milling

JDOFMEMI ยท 2008-09-15 21:05

I was reading the latest world mining journal today and come accross this. I thought I would post a link here. It seems in the land down under they use mills a little different than we do here in the states. I have heard them advertised for mining work, but the scale here is enormous. 14 Wirtgen mills loading haul trucks with iron ore! http://www.womp-int.com/story/2008vol7/story014.htm

Replies4
  1. #1mouse2008-09-16 10:04

    the wirtgen miner weighs about 180 tonnes, cut 4200mm wide and 800 deep with an operational expectancy of 6k hours per annum. i had heard fortesque had 15 of the suckers, saves them blasting and crushing by using the surface miner.

  2. #2Nick Abeyta2009-01-12 13:29

    Wirtgen - Surface Mining Interesting - At those production levels, it doesn't seem cost-effective to mine that way, I'd have to assume there's a good reason.

  3. #3redline2009-01-12 14:10

    a link to the Fortescue web page http://www.fmgl.com.au/IRM/content/project_mining.htm

  4. #4milling_drum2009-01-13 13:30

    That miner/mill seems to get moving along pretty good.