Please enjoy some of these. If anybody knows these machines, please feel free to post experiences. Plenty more pictures to come as soon as I finish learning the uploads and how to post comments properly...hahahahaha Dumb ass operator #1 Pic 1.Wirtgen W2000 is in Providence, RI. 2002. Pic 2.W1200F washdown after milling Transfer Station floor, Orange County, FL. 2005. Pic.3.Roadtec 60B, Long island, NY. 2007 Pic.4. Mid Atlantic Mills, Arcadia, FL. 2006
Never operated a mill but been near them quite alot, a very impressive piece of kit but they seem to need an operator on them, drivers dont seem to let them last very long As for pics and blurb, go to the SUPPORT section and locate the first LOCKED thread, FORUM FUNCTIONS Countrboy spells it out perfectly. :thumbsup
I much agree with the "drivers" assessment. hahahahaha
Some more pictures If anybody wants, I'll give details. Not enuff angles on some of the pictures but they were fun times...
Rebar This is from that Job in north of Orlando, FL.2005 We had no idea how deep the rebar was, I found it, the hard way. Luckily, no damage, few broken teeth. Fnished the day's rental no problem. In the last picture, I'm ****ing up. If you notice, the front of the machine is ALL the way up. That means the leg barrels have zero room to move for holding grade. I forgot to lower the front before cutting the autograde on. Thankfully, Wirtgens are pretty easy to work with
UK planers here are a few pictures of a planer working near my house earlier this year these machines are widely used in the UK and there is a big demand for the planings cheers graham
Excellent Pictures. Thanks!!! Looks like they were hauling ass too, I like the groundman knew enough to mark the CatchBasin/Culvert/Grate/Draincap off to the side because when the machine is over it, it cannot be seen properly. I've seen plenty of people over here that have NO idea why its a good idea to mark them like that. Actually scratch that, More then half the time over here they run right over it. hahahahaha
Nice shots, not too many of those machines locally. Pioneer has a few, bought a gigantic cat last year. Often we see a company call roto mill in town from down south as they do the train thing. Truck with a tanker pulls the grinding machine, put it into another machine which does it thing then dumps it back into a spreader. After that a finish coat of pave goes on and done. It's an interesting setup.
we use planers here all the time never seen a wirtgen though:drinkup
still more planers and a sweet stabilizer:drinkup
Wow man, Them old machines are cool as hell to look at. That one Roadtec looks like it might belong to a company called Valentine. That CATPR750 is single motor? V-12? I know the CAT PR1000's are a 8 cyl and a 12 cyl CAT engine(s). CMI have always made the best and most powerful straight ahead cutting machine however, Wirtgens are the best for city/municipal. Cool pics though, I've got some to come from a company called Dustrol. Old CAT's and those Modified, 30 year old, Ingersoll 14ft wide ****ers they run.
Milling Drum, Your 3rd picture caught my eye. Are you from Long Island? It also looks like Mohawks' tractor trailer there. I used to work for Seacrest. Might have worked with you on an Intercounty or Lizza job in the past. Stay well, John
I was in the NYC area for 2 summers (2005-2006) That is Mohawks last remaining milling machine. That one picture is from a job in the Hewlett Harbor area of long island. As you can see by us being stopped, we were on their ass. Lucky for the tree Thats Mohawks lowboy too with the machine on it in the other picture. Lizza and Intercounty I never worked for or with, some issues existed with that business that directly affected Mohawk, I'm not sure if you knew or know the details and surely I cannot mention some of it on here. I did run the Roadtec60B on a Seacrest Job that Mohawk was on rental for. Can't remember the location. That mixer truck in your profile picture, I saw a few of those around the city. My father and brothers have a few dump trucks down there in the boroughs, They work for Deboe, HMM (better known these days as Maspeth Supply) and EIC. This year I almost wound up with the paving company that got NYC DOT milling on Staten Island and Brooklyn, called Profetto Contracting but the union had to many guys sitting and wasn't about to let me in just for that. Mohawk was great to work for, Charlie O really knows his stuff and is a professional about taking care of his stuff. Know anybody that needs an operator or groundman? hahahahaha
yes that is one of valentines they do alot of work out here you are right about the cat pr750 and the cmis are really cool
I was once told Valentine have over 80 milling machines...dayummmmmm
i wouldnt doubt it. there was 4 on one job here and i looked them up on google earth and they have a pretty good sized yard with lots of mills. there is always atleast one of there mills around here .one of there planers is sitting in western constructions yard being taken apart dont know what happened to it but the whole drum assembly was gone.
That one there in the Picture being a PR1200 looks to be a rear loading machine. I've never seen one of those at all. I have run the Front loading PR1050 models. Both those types of CMI have removable cutter assemblies and they can change out the drum sizes from 10 ft to 16 ft. Biggest I've ever run is the 12ft drum on a 1050, and that 30 year old Ingersoll in Nebraska. I'm wondering how old this one is... That one sitting is prolly having an entire housing with the drum brought up to it from the shop or something like that. I dunno those names you tossed around but if they let them leave it in the yard that means they have plenty of work still planned for it once they get the drum in place.
topcutter here is a nice little machine we uk in the trenching game here in the uk the one pictured has a 19 inch wide drum with a maximum depth of 18-20 inches it is cutting to its full depth through tarmac and concrete at the job i am on at the moment ,it leaves nice edges for reinstatement and the millings are used else where (my friends farm) the base machine is a case 860 with a 200 hp cummins cheers graham
That looks like a cross between a mill and a rock saw....cutting deep into concrete and asphalt would require a nice, patient and unhungover operator hahahaha... Powerful unit for sure.
Here are a couple of pictures that I took today. They are milling 8 kms for us. Leveling/shaping with the grader.
Every year the township rents a reclaimer for a month or so to fix up the paved secondary roads around here. When they chew up the roads the add bitumen from a tanker.
Thanks for the Pic's Graderman. I used to work for Miller back in the Mid 90's in Toronto. I also worked for them in Atlanta. They used to send machines to Atlanta from Canada all the the time and they all came from different divisions. In New Brunswick they are called "New Brunswick Industrial Cold Planing" in Quebec its "Talon Seqbec" or something, I mighta spelled that wrong. Miller are the biggest Road construction outfit in Canada last I heard.
Yes, they are a large company I believe. I know they go right out staight. They aren't afraid to work either, and they do a great job. I'm going back down there tomorrow to help the grader operator out so maybe I'll get a few more pictures.
hey milling drum i got some pics for ya these are from a project here, they have 3 terex stabilizers. the contractor is porter yett from portland oregon. you can see more of the project in the showtime section under freeway widening:drinkup
I gots some pictures of Dustrol's 30 year old 14ft machines that I was running briefly this year.... Unfortunately, I took a few risque pics of my G/F on that same roll of film and she dumped the CD with ALL pictures....need a digital for sure. I'll get em scanned soon but they might be kinda icky cuz of the scan...
Broken Manholes
The ground man must not have seen the manhole . dosen't look like they stopped to check things out either Telescooper
Now my youth and ignorance is really showing. What is it like to drive on a recycled/reclaimed/milled piece of road? I have seen a few of those big wirtgen reclaimers/recyclers here, and the idea seems good, but I can't be sure 'coz i've never seen the finished version of a remilled road(recycled material mixed with asphalt) I would probably try that, but i have no idea how nicely it finishes. I saw a segment about a wirtgen recycler once on TV, and they were finishing with single drum soil compactors, (smooth drums), tandems and then peumatic rollers. I also saw an article about green road building compared to the traditional methods, and somewhere they said that the recycling method saves around R9.69 per ton on a recycled road base. The numbers get bigger the more you recycle the road.
One of the roads near me was recycled a few years ago. They ground up all the asphalt to a base like material and compacted it. It was left for about 2 weeks, at that stage it was like driving on a gravel road. After the 2 weeks, they came through and put down binder followed by oil and stone top. Today it's like driving on any other paved road. I'm in a rural area where we have no manholes nor curbs, just the occasional culvert crossing under the pavement.
As Steve said, after it's leveled out, shaped and compacted it's the same as driving on a gravel road. It makes a good road after it's been chipsealed. If left to long before sealing it bonds together and becomes like pavement again. Then it becomes hard to grade. We have hauled this reclaim to gravel roads to see how it would work. Once leveled it made a beautiful road but after a few weeks it turned back to pavement again. Places in the road that didn't bond, separated and became potholes, so we ended up with a not so perfect road. We have hauled crushed rock over top of this and Chipsealed. We have also just Chipsealed over the reclaim and that has worked good to.
Shanghai zenith company provide grinding mill http://www.zenithcrusher.com [email protected] Shanghai Zenith Electric Power Equipment Co., Ltd. is an international and professional company, which engages in research & development, production and sale of the electric power equipment, powder making equipment, and mining equipment. Our products have been distributed to all the provinces in China as well as over 30 countries and regions in the world.
crushers, here at Heavy equipment forums, we have a rule that only paying sponsors are allowed to advertise, and to protect our sponsors, we enforce that rule pretty strictly. The exception is that we will allow a member one "freebie" to let our members know about their product. That's because learning about a new or different manufacturer might help a member out some day. Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, and if you have any knowlege to share about the industry and equipment in general, please do. But you've now had your one free advertisement...
Your tires make a humming sound while riding the grooved pavement...
nice
We don't see any of these in south africa!
What do you mean? The Roads Agency has dozens of 'em!
UK milling For your enjoyment milling drum. This Wirgen came right on through my work area ( or was it his area I was in ) so I did the honourable thing........... took some pictures Only taking enough off for the new wearing course travel speed at this depth is a fast walk Never ceases to amaze me :notworthy
Heres a couple of the technical bit This touch pad seems to give the mm alterations to the cutting drum and is controlled by the groundman
planning i spent a week or so behind a planner with a sweeper on the M3 years ago for gale plant ,who did alot of work for associated ashphalt it got a bit boring after a while :Banghead i was glad to get back to my normal job great pictures rob :drinkup graham
I also was a sweeping contractor behind a grinding crew last year. I got to keep the millings. I now use them to fill potholes then use a infrared heater to reheat the patch, then roll it. no seam to fail and a patch that is part of the original material. Just finished a patch in the middle of our airport runway. The state here also uses the grindings as a sub base (6" thick) then chip seals. This seems to hold well. Only thing is if it does pothole the edges are sharper and the hole is deeper.
Pics Picture #1 is in Providence, RI. The machine is actually a Wirtgen 1900DC. Performing the work is Cavaliere Industries Inc. in Stamford, CT
Picture #1 is Calaviere Industries W2000. The operator was from FL. on short notice hire as was the groundman who wasn't worth a hell to work with. The work was for Lynch contracting in Providence Rhode Island. The DC1900 was changed out for the W2000 due to a blown track motor about a week before that picture was taken. I'll bet Cavaliere Industries have an entire CD of pictures from that particular day that became availible to them thanks to that operator who insured the photographer saved the pictures to disc and sent them out to him. I'll even further bet that a few pictures from that day are in use on Cavaliere industries website, and if the commentor went back and had a look at the disc they would see the side of the machine reads "W2000". Ta Ta:drinkup
For Atlas Rob Excellent pictures! Looks like an older DC2100. Those are Tough as nails milling machines. The pattern the drum leaves is mighty pretty as well. Thanks Rob.
Providence You are excatly right! good looking out.
1900 FYI, I was a laborer for Lynch
Is that a blue 2CX to the left in the 3rd and 5th pics? I have to say, I have never seen such a tight working environment before. It looks soo cool!!
Aw, I was hoping you were DJ from Cavaliere. Makes me wrong twice now. That Blue machine in pictures is a W2200. Good to see you again. I've got more pictures at myspace if you are interested. http://myspace.com/internazi
airmaster yes bellboy thats a 2cx airmaster ,compressor on the rear and a 4-1 or chippings bucket up front .as for tight thats a job with room in the uk cheers graham
Here's some with more to follow #1 Getting kinda close #2 Custom Company made Wind deflector for keeping it cooler with tail wind. #3 I really dislike dirt. #4 Fast moving JD 750 #5 Builtin cap holder for really windy days.
More same site. #1 I do not like clay. #4 Full Depth asphalt edge #5 Too much dirt.
Here's some from Roder's Pass Montana.
A few more.
Cool Pictures! That old CAT looks like its been down the road a few times. That shouldering Job looks like it was the type of Job where everybody is sucking dust...I feel for you and the groundman. Thanks for keeping the thread going. I noticed the drum was a Kenametal. What brand of teeth were you using?
Well, that machine has a history. It came from New Orleans, and was never under water. When it was brought to our shop, sea shells were found in the engine compartment. That shouldering job was just me Operator/Water Truck Driver/ Groundman and my Forman/ Water Truck driver/ Groundman. I got the brunt of the dust, while he strolled along in the water truck. I believe there we were using Kennametal RP-19's. Also use RP20's, Rz-19. Sandvic Blues and Red boxes (trispec?) don't recall the type. I'm sure you also noticed the toolbox on the back, the improved air intake on the hood, and the trucker lights (aka stupid lights). My company has a decent number of mills. 4 565B's 2 or 3 450's 1 1000 (susposed to be retired this year) 1 W2200 8ft cut and rumor was a new w2200 with 12.6 ft cutter and a 7 ft cutter. Industrial builders is the company name. I'm actually pictured on the website as a groundman 1st year.
That clay business probably won't come off with the drum spinning at full RPM with the water shooting down..... The one picture with the dust covered console brings on a few memories too. Good to have ya around, there isn't anyone that does tech talk about milling here yet though.
Some beautiful scenery you get to operate in. It amazes me how you work on roads with no obvious safety barriers or cones, although I am aware pictures do not always show a full and true account of working practices and the comment is an observation not a critisim. Thanks for sharing :drinkup And, Milling Drum you are welcome :drinkup
Some pictures of my baby I'm the Ground man for that Recycling Train. Ive also worked with the Roadtec RX110 and RX120 Single unit recylcers.
Nice pictures Bean, Thanks for adding them. Rob makes a good point about the lack of safety on jobs over here. Usually on the mountain areas in the east when I have been, they use a system where a flagman exists at both ends of the closed road area and a pilot car brings the minions through. Seems to work ok until the end of the day and everybody gets drunk together and the flaggers realize why they will in most cases stay flaggers....
Our job sites consist of 2 flaggers and a convoy truck leading the traffic. We rarely have cones or closed roads up here in Canada. I had my foot ran over twice 2 years ago and hit by 1 car. This year i guess i got lucky and nuthing cool like that happened
we have 4 mills were i work. a wirtgen 1900dc, roadtec rx60b, and 2 wirtgen w2000's
That is exactly what I mean by the comment that pictures do not tell the whole story. I have never come across the use of flagmen and pilot cars in UK but now you explain it, it makes perfect sense for those situations. :thumbsup Bean, thanks for the pics. Can you elaborate more on what they show. I assume it is a planer feeding straight into some form of recycler. Not trying to be a smart *ss, we dont do that here and I am intrested in what the proccess is. Great pics Brian thanks for sharing
My company specializes in Cold in place and foamed asphalt recycling. The PR1000 pushes a 40 tonne tanker of 300+ degree asphalt cement or emulsion and pulls the recycling train and water tank which screens and crushes the milling to size in a closed loop. After they are sized (usually to 1 inch) the material is weighed on a scale conveyor and dropped into a pugmill where it is mixed with the AC or emulsion. With that particular machine the Rap is left in a windrow and the paver which is not shown pics it up shortly after and lays it to grade. To give you an idea we usually produce about 2-4 lane kilometers a day between 3 and 6 inches deep adding anywhere from 1%-4% AC or emulsion. Last season that particular train did about 650 000 square meters. Any other information you would like?
they did that here twice on the 13 miles of the warm lake road, they had flaggers at every entrance along the 13 miles that was about 40 flaggers they had 2 pilot cars and it was about 15-30 minute delays. valentine surfacing was there right after i left to tear up the old asphalt:Banghead
I think the term Rob is looking for is.... Cold-in-place-recycling-train. Mainly those trains are found out in the middle of nowhere to either stabilizer base or because the cost of trucking asphalt is out of hand. I've seen some that produce a great finish product of which lasts a good little while too. They also run Hot-in-place-recycling-trains here and in a few other areas of the world. Martec.com
Thanks for the pictures from Ohio and thanks to Bean for adding more.
Valentine Surfacing has completed more than 6,000 lane-miles of cold-in-place recycling. CIR is a proven process and is your best roadway rehabilitation alternative
do you know what company those trucks were from? they look like some of debco constructions', just wondering they do alot of work up there:drinkup
Bean, Oakland and Milling Drum :thumbsup thank you very much for the lesson. It makes perfect sense to recycle and relay especially when its a very long way to haul new material in.
I'm surprized they haven't got any of those running in the UK really. From the looks of the paving operations in the pictures I've seen on here, They seem to have pretty good operations over there where you are Rob. Trust me, you would laff your ass off over here at some of what goes on. I might just have to see about a visa over there and come visit for a season or two.
They were a part of Riverside Contracting or was is Riverside Sand and Gravel? I can't remember for sure.
the company i work for used to do cold in place recycling. they used to use an old barco mill 800 that pulled an blaw-knox pf120 paver and pushed two tankers . i never got to see it in action they quit running it when i started there. my boss's brothers company took over the cold in place stuff they use an wirtgen w2500
I don't know about down south but up here we do ALLOT of city work aswell as county roads about half of our work last year was in the city. My company has even done a few cul-de-sacs over the years. If you want to see how the single unit recyclers work there is a flash video at http://www.seeleyandarnill.com/rx120_rx110.swf which may be a bit dated but you get the idea. both the rx120 and rx110 are one of a kind machines
Sorry Bean, I had no idea they would run them in cities. I can imagine that would be a tight time frame on the road/off the road.
Was just letting you know is all. Usually cops flag the traffic lights and there is a 1 or 2 traffic light limit for your jobsite. Depending on the city and what kind of area you are in you are allowd to work anywhere from 7am-9pm. For very busy roads you get the odd night job. I just wish those city workers would lower the manholes properly 1/2 the time they lower the manhole then put the concrete spacers or bricks on top :Banghead. Hitting the big brass traffic light magnetic detectors is always good for the drum to.
Wrote you a wonderful essay TWICE and got logged out TWICE it took so long :beatsme, so this is to see if it happens again
That worked so it must be me typing slow I think the rig is too big for most of the places we could use it. I can see it doing full recon/ recyling of the top 6" on our country roads a lot of which are in desperate need of some TLC. The major road network is also in need of TLC but as that is happening bridge supports are getting beefed up due to the danger of impact from 44ton artics. When most were built we ran at a max of 32t, shoulders are getting widened new comms and street lighting ducts and drainage upgrades also happen so it is major const rather than quick relay.
Rob, These recycling trains need parking at the end of the day which is another reason why they are difficult in heavy urban areas. Like Bean pointed when the cutting operation is interrupted, its moreless a problem for the whole train. In the UK I'm sure they have demo'ed a train or two. I've spent plenty of time with Hot-in-place trains. Funny story. Transport Canada (DOT in Canada) in the summer of 1993 decided to try out a company called HIP. (hot-in-place) They had them running a course of the airport runways in Ottawa. The HIP fellas were in their glory to be finally given a shot at credibilty nationally. Cameras were there, all the big wigs including the transportation minister at the time. They were running an elaborate setup with multiple preheaters,(they are huge furnace blasting heat into the ground dinosaur looking things) the rest of the train is simular to the pictured trains here. All the machines were rigged with portable generators for additional lighting. Some poor soul rigged up the generator on the preheater/grinder/pugmill on the front of it because there wasn't room anywhere else. Low and behold a propane line (source of heat) gets tangled in the exhaust of that portable generator and melts, catches fire and they can't put it out in time before the engine is completely on fire.... They are dead right where they sat. Up to that point things had been going pretty well, they were nearly 6 inches deep, and the paved mat was comming up smooth and meeting compaction test requirements. Took years after that before the Fed's gave in to it. Counties used them without federal approval plenty though and they did plenty of work. They are still around from what I understand. twas hilarious
you have a very malicious streak :drinkup
Hey Bean, I saw your looking for a Full Lane machine. (used) I know of a PR1000 in great shape being retired. Its located in Nebraska. I'll be happy to make a few calls and find out what the specs are. I do know both motors do run, I'm not sure of hours and drum width, they run a few at 14ft and a few at 12ft.
Milling, I figured I would get out of the union thread and found you on this one. Turtle only does work on the air force base I work on. They sub for the paving company that gets all the work on base. I've never seen them do any commercial work around here. CW matthews bought out the local APAC division a couple of years ago. They are getting huge around Atl.
Some more Heres a few more...
more more more Various pictures...
even more Always the fun....
Now I cant seem to figure my own junk out:beatsme
Iron Its all good down here in Texas
Some more eye candy...
Always something going on
Couple from today. Loaded, waiting for trucks, and the cut.
Shouldering.... Great pattern on that 450!
Captured a few more pics.
new here,frist post. worked on that 60B before & profettos,intercountys,lizza and mohawk MILL IT UP...GRIZ.
Welcome Griz, always nice to see some folks who know the equipment. I still keep in Touch with Charlie from Mohawk. They are good people.
milling drum,last time i was at charlies i put a fan motor on his 700.then stoped by joes yard in hicksville to look at one of his 900s.havn't seen charlie in two years or so. this looks like a great forum. GRIZ.
Yes, this is a great site. I miss Long Island and NYC. I'm sure you know all about what happened with Charlie because of Chippie, now he only mills on rentals and is hardly ever on a job more than a day or two. I wish I still worked out there but Local 14 and 138 had issues with me being from Fl. Please get us some pictures of the some of Lizza's machines, there are hardly any newer Roadtec pictures here. Always Cuttin'
I have lots of pictures, just have to figure out how to post them. If you would like to see some picture of the new RT500, I was out doing some work on it in Carson City, Nevada in the summer. Go to www.roadtec.com it's a new pullable cold inplace machine, it's impressive, and RX900 has 2 tankers in front of it and it mills the lane backwards, feeds the material into the RT500, the RT500 sizes it, runs it through a plug mill, oil is injected, it's mixed and it comes out in a winrow between the tandems and 2 other tankers it is pullin straddle the winrow, then the pick up machine, picks it up and puts it in the paver. I'll try to post some pictures of machines that people have destroyed, you will not believe. I can download new software in your machine, but I have a heck of a time putting a picture on the internet. MILL IT UP ...GRIZ.
Its all good. Thats a cold-in-place paving train your describing, they have been around for a very long time actually. Roadtec's version which seems to run pretty good from what I've heard. Check this out (just click the link or copy and paste it) its Charlie running one of those 60C's he bought from when they auctioned off Co-Fires mills.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aJ6VV-JFVc
Next Job in MN. Cat 1000 and Cat 450 being chased.
The cut size, and pic of how close we were getting to being chased.
Holy Mackeral, that PR1000 has a pattern and a half...wow! LMFAO@ PR450 being chased!
:lmao Welcome to hyperspace Griz,....... we'll engage crawler for a while till you get the posting sussed out, we got plenty of time hit us when your ready. Have a look at this. changexlt, great pics thanks for sharing.
Last four of that job. Sitting waiting for traffic control long line of trucks. Starting the cut. Two closer pics of the 1000's pattern.
:update Next, load out truck with reclaimed asphalt. No water. asphalt before grinding is 10-13 inches deep, and deeper after grinding. Ol 350 can't go that deep. Pic 1 10 or so degress pic 2 just too deep. :Banghead pic 3 There is trucks back there! Pic 4 Hope the wind don't switch.:thumbdown
cold inplace paving Here's some pictures of cold inplace paving in Niagra Falls on Tuesday.
Nice Pictures Griz! Those dudes go alot deeper than the Gorman Bros Cold-In-Place train I saw in the Adrondacks in 2007. On that Job I was with a Villager W1200F trimming the shoulder off cuz the PR1050 wasn't getting down into it enough without slowing it down to where they couldn't maintain a decent speed. That RX900 obviously has NO problems with power. Dayum, that sucker is cutting deep. My Friend above Changexlt, dude, that thing is on such a sharp slope angle it looks like you might fall off it. Is it hard to hold straight in that cut material? I'm surprized that old thing has enough in the gear drive system to pull a heavy load like that off the ground. BTW, last friday I saw they put the 4ft drum back in that other 450. (or was it the same one?)
MD, (bet that sounds good don't it) It holds where ever I point it. Not real worried about depth or straight, just loading trucks. I actually have too much power for loading this loose material no bogging down here. I'd assume they put it in the old 450. Still have the same one I started with now with that 6ft micro cutter. Hope to get through this job w/o changing teeth. Would make for 3 jobs w/o changing a single tooth.
Wow, neat pictures griz thats the first pictures of that sort of operation I have seen. Its been described but never shown :notworthy. ( sorry MD )
Its all good Rob! I'm of the opinion however that a Cold-in-Place thread would be in order.
Hey fellas, I'll try to get some more pictures of cold inplace, but it's going to take a little while, I have to leave in the morning for a job on the Canadian border till Friday, then I have to go to Bangor Maine and I'll be back late next week.
They have to pull the cutter out for transport due to weight restrictions as well as the drum being to wide to be on the transport. We always did the same with our 1200's and 1000's as we would run a 16 foot cutter on certain jobs.
Actually the mill does all of the pushing/pulling of the trucks, tankers, and crushers it is hooked to. :thumbsup
Don't see many of these around....
The drum...
Lawrence Lynch in Falmouth MA just took delivery on their new RX400 Roadtec, it has a variable cutting system with a folding conveyor, Moba equipped. GRIZ
Excellent pictures Griz, those things look like they are a great machine. This is a W2000 at 7'2" with a C18. The other W2000 is 6'8" with a C15. That orange one looks like a factory paint job. Vogele orange like the rollers.
Yes sir mill drum, it's a very inpressive little machine with a 325 hp cat engine. Small size is ideal for city streets and tight places, you can do alot with it. drum sizes are available in 26" 36" 48" or 60" to cover most jobs. GRIZ
If i'm not mistaken Lawrence Lynch was awarded one of the city of Boston contracts for 2010 - i am curious if they plan on using this machine or subbing out the milling?
Do they have a half lane mill?
I was told today that Lawrence Lynch has subbed they're Boston milling to Costello
Costello must be short on in house work, they have a pretty big paving operation.
W2000 with a C18...that's what I need. The C15 I have does fairly well, but more power is always good
Well its kinda funny you mention that cuz all the W2000's I saw until around 2007 or so had 7 2 drum with C18. Then all these 6 8 models with C15 came out everywhere....and I'm sorry but I like the extra foot off the right side, all half lane mills should be offset like that in my opinion. We are fixing to run that C18 mill tomorrow, its been broke down since I got here, now the Orange one is broke down. Both head pully problems too....I won't get into the usual slag offs of who/how/why because its the same old thing....some dudes that learned with a Wirtgen and have NEVER seen another type of mill and think they know it all because the Wirtgen is so easy to run... Utter nitwits...
Does stock pile count as milling?
Pretty much loaded and ready to go. Got myself a different trailer this year.
ChangeX has it going on this year for sure Even those 450's go on those easy. Funny, the lowboy driver here has a detach 4 axle/extended deck trailer but prefers the folding neck trailer....I just lafffff... is it still cold up there? I wished they'd call....
Why don't you call? Earl needs an operator, I hear, lol. Everything starts on the 26th and I mean everything.
For my Buddy ChangeX....
Well back for the first day of work, and we're milling out from mountable asphalt curb so I thought I'd share.
Don't see many of those 465's around. They must have maintained it for it to have lasted this long.
I think it has 7300 hrs on it and it ran quite well (I'm sure the new drum didn't hurt at all)
Never cared much for CAT mills but the newer ones are pretty good. Found out the other day I will not be visiting the upper plains this year. Hitting three water boxes before 10 am wasn't good and I'm not sure if I care to to try that on again.
A bad day in detroit A bad day in detroit..............
Wow, Looks like they had already made a couple of passes over the spot that caved in.
Dustrol has drums 14ft wide like this one. I finally finished cleaning up the stock pile too. Running that old 140G was lotsa fun
Some tandem cutting on i-26 at the SC/NC line. Stuck here until mid July. Yep,the Roadtec 50B is running circles around my w2000. (what are you all putting in your fuel Dave??:notworthy) Heres hoping for a R-900 for Christmas or even an R700
Nice picture, its a wonder they let you get that close. The 50B is a 7ft drum too, that W2000 is a 6 8, any extra power the 50B has helps turn the bigger drive components the 50B has. I seriously doubt your boss over there at Carolina Milling would buy an RX900 because they are so heavy. They would require a blanket permit that he most likely wouldn't want to pay for. A RX700, maybe. But when I was there he was stuck on Wirtgen pretty much.
i have some good pics
So...... Where are they?
this thing wont let me post attachments yet
Roadtec RX60B on loaded up, ready to roll.
here you go
the plane in the first pic is taking off
That looks like Jerry F and the IBI W2100. There aren't many of those up there. Theres a few pictures of that machine (if thats what it is) in the other "pictures too share" thread. Great Pictures all the same. Thanks and have a safe season.
how many tons can you put into one of those side dumps?
I ran a load of sand in one at 98,000 lbs. Great trailers for milling in open areas.
ive had total truck weights over 110.000 before but very few drivers help u out
heres another one for u drum
Way too much over legal. Had some coming in at what the truck driver said was 131,000 lbs. I've had 31 ton in a few bellies before too. They complained after one guy broke a spring.
LMFAO Hey BJ whats up man? Thanks for posting that...HILARIOUS!
RX-50B Stomping Wirtgen Hi Dock, I forgot to tell you that we rigged all our mills with Nitrous boosters
Wirtgen never heard of them! I think id rather have an old raggged out barber greene with a 8v92 detroit no turbo either!
A few of the locals rigs loaded and ready to roll.
thief river days... ...
Couple pics of last weeks hourly work, in casper, wy. First end dump truck of the year, even came with a not so smart truck guider. Taking the street deeper, so it can be reworked properly with a good mat, other milling company was breaking through at 1 3/4 inches. We took 3 3/4. Taking Gravel and sandy subbase 8 inches total.
Ever seen a 30 ft averaging ski on a 450?
Have I mentioned I absolutely HATE this machine? This happens on probably 3 out of 5 jobs we do with it. Had to bring out the crane, they have made quite a bit of money of this machine haha
Running our 1200 and 2000 in tandem, the 2000 was milling a 7" concrete sidewalk...boooring.
What size is the valentine roadtec? The sticker looks like a Rx-1000?
ChangeX that averaging ski looks like it would suck if you tried to go to fast with but...I doubt thats possible with a 450 anyways hahahahaha ToeGrinder why do they let that thing out of the yard? I'm sure it has some uses in certain applications with the right operator but dayum....they can't be making money with it having it pulled out once a month. Dan Lamb looks cold on the 450, I haven't seen a day in close too two weeks it hasn't been in the 90s.
I've seen a few local guys that swapped out the two rear wheels for tracks to solve that problem, the one fellow said it eliminated 90% of the problems they had with it but god save you if the front wheels ever touch a soft surface.
The problem with that is you wouldn't be able to swing the right rear leg in front of the cutter box, which I use often. I'm also not sure the left rear leg would clear when set in.
We have 4 of those W1200's and they all have tracks on the 4 legs, im sure all the machine diminsions are the same so i would think you could replace the heavy wheels with tracks. I couldnt imagine running one with wheels with the stuff and areas i have to cut.
If its a clearance issue for a track in that area in front of the drum housing, that rubber tire 1200 might be the same as a 1000 model with a bigger drum housing. I'd like to know how big the difference is in weight too.
From what I was told the machines are identical and the legs are interchangeable and should keep the swing in functionality
The machines are not identical. I actually thought the same thing when I first got ahold of it, I wanted to switch it out the wheels for tracks. But the are two completely different frames. The area where the wheels are in the frame when set in is a lot wider on the track version.
it's kinda hard to see in the picture but you can definitely see the difference in frames compared between this pic and my earlier post
I'll never be able to tell the joy of running this thing, complete with worn out drive pulley wheels, bad flashing....its almost like comming home It did have a V-12, that was kinda a consolation of sorts, never got to get the power out of it because of the worn out pulleys.
Dyna This thing wasn't all that bad....kinda impressed with it.
added a PR1000 rear conveyor to eliminate windrow elevator.
Custom Built recycle trains great to look at! This from last nite, we spend an average of an hour parked every nite waiting for....you know.
Replacement mill they sent to us today
This was what was in the fuel filter of the other one
here is the **** machine that wouldn't start in the cut
Wirtgen 3800cr.
Nice fuel filter....hahahaha
do you know why all the water and moisture is getting into the fuel system, i ask this because one of our small mills is always haveing problems with the fuel getting water in it.
I'm pretty sure the fuel cap was left off. I have had this problem on a larger machine before where the fuel tank had a bolt on lid for cleanout that leaked due to bad welds/gasket. Cap the fuel tank and pressure check with 40 psi of air or so, and you will find out if the tank is your problem. If it doesn't have a fuel water seperator it won't hurt to add one aswell.
I wouldn't put 40 psi of air into a tank not designed as a pressure vessel. You could permanantly deform it, or have to pick up the pieces and build a new one. Two or three pounds will find a leak.
And in most cases, the leak will be somewhere REALLY hard to get at. Cause mills are good for pain in the @ss things like that
The sidedump was in South Carolina, most likely one of the few that far east. The old RX45 was one of the first PP&S half lane mills. Shouldering in South Carolina is awful. I've never seen material build up so hard and so fast in a drum housing like around here.
Check Nice feature that Dynapac has....
Sitting waiting for them to get out of the way....
Flexplate
Pr1000 Some of Toegrinders old friends here....
looks like the western contractors have a lot of old iron, if thats part of the current fleet i would never work for a company with that stuff haha
other than arizona pavement profiling anybody know who the other big milling outfits are in the southwest?
One of the good things about running old machines, the others around it most likely have some REALLY good experience...and thats the case here. Theres a few contractors with mills in Phoenix, I saw 5 machines while visiting there last feb. Most of them looked newer. Using Google as a search engine works.
Last week
I believe that Arizona pavement profiling has 2 pr1000's for cold in place and then some newer equipment like a rx700. Nesbitt contracting also makes recycling trains and asphalt mixing computers among other things.
They sure do, the other 1000 is the backup for the one we are running now. The fella I am with built that recycler you put up in those older pictures. Great to get to work with people that actually know what they are doing for a change.
John nesbitt? I talk to him several times a year about various things.
The shop foreman Richard. I doubt John does much wrenching being hes the owner.
I thought he was Equipment manager or something but I must be mistaken.
just curious if anyone here has actually ran a new roadtec rx400, we just got one and i have been operating it for a few days and i think once you've ran a wirtgen w120f the roadtec is a joke for trying to do the same tight area milling and for 325hp on the roadtec and 280-290hp on the wirtgen, the wirtgen will work circles around the roadtec and thats been proven at our company. Roadtec needs to start from scratch on there small mill. would like to know someone elses opinion that has run one or where you work if ya got a rx400. There just to freaking big for what small mill work is.
John and Jim nesbitt are the owners. John designed the crushers and builds the computers. If you look on the computer it says "Nescom" on it. The shop does the actual building of the crushers.
There is Petera milling, which was started by two brothers who used to work for APP back in the day. Like me, they left when the manager before Jack took over and took everything away(money, trucks) and started treating people like crap. Then there is C&S Sweeping, which is THE sweeping outfit of Az. He just bought a couple W2100's and picked up a 600,000 s.y. job in Tucson. He wanted to fly me down to phoenix to get him started, but I have my own deal I am working on so I had to say no. Otherwise I would have in a heartbeat, he is an awesome guy to work for. I can give you numbers for both if you want.
John you ought to give Sam a call with C&S since you are already down there and tell APP to **** off. Like I said he picked up that Tucson job and needs a good operator, and will treat you good. Let me know if you want his number
Saw these posts much too late. I actually did see the C&S W2100 on the lowboy headed into the hills outside Phoenix while we were headed back to New Mexico on one trip. Looked in good shape.
Finally got ahold of some of my old and new pics to post up. Pic #1 Note to self...mills don't make good mud trucks...Gm Proving Grounds in Phoenix Pic #2 Getting a new engine in Tucson after dropping a valve '04 Pic #3 Milling drums buggy at APP Pic #4 Glenwood canyon in Glenwood Springs, CO. Best job I ever was on, 56 miles total between the westbound and eastbound lanes on an interstate. '01 Pic #5 Tucson, AZ '04
Continued... Pic #1 I-10? in Tucson Pic #2 The crane that usually pulls out our W1200 Pic #3 App's PR-750 in Vegas
I'm not familiar with Mills at all really but after reading this thread I am interested! In your last post you posted a picture of a Tow Truck looking to be a Rotator. Does the mill have to be lifted out of the cut almost all the time or can they most of the time drive out? Keep up the great pictures!
Normally the mill drives out everytime unless it breaks down or gets stuck. There is pictures of mills with wheels instead of tracks around here somewhere, those tend to get stuck allot.
Pr1050 It isn't even possible to begin telling the joys of this machine
525 Day after we ran that PR525, we put a rebuilt planetary in it. Now they want to put a micro mill head in it. Old, raggity money making SOB. And the W2200....well lets see how those holders look in a month.
Rx900 well....I ran it for a day....
Ortiz This operation have some very interesting pieces of equipment. The Terex CMI is a 1994 model with a narrow conveyor, the upper is a folding conveyor. I've never seen a folding conveyor on any CMI other than this one. The One I am running is a 2004 model which kinda boogles me because I had thought Terex was in control of CMI at that point. The grade control systems are custom made by a company or people from Japan. They seem to work good but they are along the same lines as a Topcon system where the operator has very little control. My personal opinion of such systems is that they slow the mill down because the groundman is tied to staying at whatever location the boxes are, thereby making it a chore to make changes or stay moving if obstacles are in the way. I should be able to get some better pictures as time goes on, get off this night shift nonsense. As usual, Granite are in complete control of the milling operation and do not allow us to get too far ahead.
CMI folding conveyor The only CMI I have seen or heard of with a folding Conveyor belongs to Ortiz & Associates. 1994 PR800-7.
would be nice to have ground guys that knew how to mark and not just play on their phones...
Hahahaha as an operator I had a foreman on the ground whack three water valves in less then 2 hours on side street cutbacks. All were located on the radius in the exact same spot. Later that day we ran over an exposed manhole, that was my last day operating that mill. Then, end of the day in 95 degree heat the foremanwaterboxwhackoff loser asks me to wash down the engine....uh, what would have happened if I used a powerful stream of cold water on an extremely hot twin turbo diesel engine?
Cold Milling Video
What year is the W1200F... I was wondering what year the W1200F is, as the 2006 W1200F I operate has a different handrail on the ladder.
The only 1200F that iv run was an old SOB, at least a 2002 model, be sure wirtgen did make changes toward improvement on a continual basis. In Florida those 4ft heads were used on quite a bit of shouldering work because the loadout systems could keep up at maximum depth. The job I had come from to where those pictures were taken was on HWY 29 coming out of Everglades City which was all shell rock shoulder excavation 10 inches deep off the asphalt edge at 2% ..... 8 ft width. Guardrail forced me to modify the ladder considerably so its a pretty good chance whatever you see in that picture is fix it enough to run and thats it.
they are very handy for shoulder work here in MN as well, we hire our machine and operator out to many other companys for just that kind of work. Here is a picture of our machine loaded and ready to go out.
Can tell by the body and frame its early 2000's or late 90s, round there. It has a few little items that resemble the DC series.
year of W1200F Date on manufactures tag list 2006.
Might be so, I was using that water tank piece that hangs down as a ref. You can run the serial number and that gives the exact date. Generally with any type of heavy equipment that's how it is. You would order parts off that number as well.
COOL PICS!