Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

F-700 have the guts?

Legdoc ยท 2007-11-30 13:29

I am considering using my 1989 F-700 370 gasser 5+2 to pull my 27+5 tandem dual gooseneck with my case 580M on it. This will be for short hauls only( less than 50miles). I want to get to the destination but speed is not critical. Is this even feasible to consider?

Replies7
  1. #1digger242j2007-11-30 14:25

    I used a 74 F-750 with a 391 gasser to pull a 680 around the hills of western PA, so, it can be done. Hardly the best setup, but it can be done...

  2. #2Legdoc2007-11-30 15:07

    Thanks for the reply. I may put a 20k dozer on the trailer as well. There are few hills down here to struggle with.

  3. #3Camarogenius2007-12-09 11:36

    I use an F-800 every day. It does great. The only question in my mind would be the gasser. Wait, Check that. A gasser motor means hydraulic wedge style brakes. Bad Mojo. Wedge brakes are high maintenence, and parts are expensive.

  4. #4thejdman042007-12-09 22:30

    I agree watch the brakes but a good heavy trailer should be able to hold its own as long as they work (only takes one little ground problem and no more trailer brakes. Thats why I prefer air brakes but anways, sure it can be done. There is a guy w/a 1 ton dually and bix tex 20+5 goose who pulls a 580 around almost everday to and from sites. I highly dont recomment it and know tis overloaded but you should be ok, gas milage and speed wont be the best but itll get done.

  5. #5Legdoc2007-12-10 08:05

    The F-700 has the girling brake system. I can see it being a PITA! But it is what I have.

  6. #6surfer-joe2007-12-10 22:17

    The 370 F700 is no speed demon, but properly tuned they do alright. Rather tough engine actually. Yeah, the brakes are a bitch, so you have to go with electric brakes on the trailer. I wouldn't advise relying on the truck brakes only, which, by the way, can be quite expensive to repair. But you likely know that. Hum, parts are getting a bit hard to find for them too. Using a good heavy duty trailer with likewise heavy duty electric brakes will go a long way towards saving you money on truck brakes, and just maybe keep you from hitting anything else expensive. Good Luck!

  7. #7WITJR_492007-12-23 00:06

    E-250 Ford I have a Takeuchi TL-26 . Can anyone tell me what options do I have for getting my machine from job to job. I have alway wanted to get me a loader. I finally was able to move forward with a new career. Thanks for your help Witgray:usa