Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Trucks

ror76a · 2007-11-29 12:31

I have a couple of old trucks 76 & 77 in my fleet that don’t see a lot of miles any more. I should probaly sell them, but they are not worth very much. They might be worth more to part them out, but they are still in fairly good shape– rebuilt drive lines that run great, cabs are decent, don’t even break down much – mostly air leaks & lights. Occasionaly they are handy, just put the insurance & license on them and go, but I hate to have them just sitting around the yard. What would you guys do with them, keep them around as an occasional backup or sell/scap them for whatever you can get?

Replies9
  1. #1cat3202007-11-29 12:44

    If you got the space don't need the cash I would keep them .Maybe restore them you have to figure they are paid for stronger than new maybe not as aero dynamic maybe not alot of creature comforts . what are they post some pics.

  2. #2Dwan Hall2007-11-29 14:11

    Have you looked into a "Glider kit" or do they still make them? I think they covered everything from just a new cab to everything but the drive train. Which gives you a updated title. Then there market value would go up and make it worth selling. Just a thought. Otherwise I would just keep them, but keep them from roting by atleast running them around the block once a week. Nothing wares out a piece of equipment worse then just setting. It rots and you get nothing in return.

  3. #3ror76a2007-11-29 21:25

    I have thought of the glider kit option, but I think(never asked a dealer) it would cost half to 3/4s what a whole new truck costs, so that by the time I put it all together I wouldn't be any money ahead to go that route. If I needed another newer truck I would look into it more, but I have more trucks than I need as it is.Would a glider kit have to pass an emmsions test, being a "new" truck? (I don't think the old 350 cummins would make it today). The Ford is a 77, 350 Cummins, 13 speed Peterbilt is a 76, 350 Cummins, 13 speed, geared low I also have a 77 Diamand Reo Quad axle dump - 350 Cummins, 13 speed, but that one is rough, it has been demoted to off road hauling only and a 69 Freightliner cabover - 335 cummins, 15 speed that we have been robbing parts off of for a couple years now, still would not take much to make it roadworthy again.

  4. #4mikef872007-11-29 22:04

    I would make sanders out of them. That usually what i did with my trucks. That's whats nice about older trucks they run forever. I have a few 1980's mack RD tenwheelers. They take a beating and keep on going. My Mack Granite went through a motor in 40,000 miles, the Mack electronic motors are plague, nothing runs like an older truck.

  5. #5cat3202007-11-30 09:22

    My friend has an older mack DM i think it's a '70 or '72 it has a 5 with the overdrive nice solid truck I know i have driven it was a ten wheel dump them he put a tanker on it fro crack filler now the last time i was up to see him it was being rotated into the sander body. only problem was it has a small motor in it i think a 237 .

  6. #6thejdman042007-12-01 15:49

    id part them vs scrap money wise

  7. #7seabiscuit2007-12-05 11:51

    Hey ror76a, You are in the type of situation I'll be looking for in about a year. I think you should make it known somehow that you have reliable old used trucks for sale. I've been looking through ebay and online truck trader and truck sales to get an idea of what is available and prices and what I'd be up against when I am ready to buy a used single axle tractor to haul a 15000lb trailer. For my needs I'd only use it to haul once in a while, probably as private use, but since I just have a Sprinter I can keep it from sitting and going to rot. I'm sure I'd fix it up over time too. You may not get much money but you'll keep it from going to rot. I'd like to find more people with low price well running old trucks. I thought the Peterbilt looked sweet. What did you mean by it is geared low, will it still run at highway speeds?

  8. #8Turbo218352007-12-05 21:01

    Whats your operation consist of as far as equipment. What are your needs for that equipment. If your have enough equipment and have the need for a mechanic truck get a body for one of them. How do you fuel your equipment. Would it be beneficial to have a lube truck. All this really depends on your equipment needs rather than truck needs. They may not be getting the best utilization this way, but it does keep them from sitting. Depending on what part of Mi your from it may be worth it to get a plow and salt spreader for these rigs. Or maybe just get real creative, or get rid of them.

  9. #9BIGDAN3152008-01-30 10:57

    BiGDAN315 Boy I tell ya scrap metal is right up there at around $ 200 a ton where Im'e at. But you would think they are worth more than that in working cond.thats My 2 cents..lol