I am looking at buying a tandem and my budget is 8 is comfortable 11 is cap. I run all fords ad love them I found a f-750 tandem with a c-7 cat in it an one know how this truck will be? how many miles are too many for this type of truck?
I never knew they made a f-750 tandem. what are you going to use it for?
One time I bought a group of L9000 dumps with 3406b and 7spds all with less than 100k..... They was site batch trucks, trust me 100k miles was too many, I have also had road tractors with 2m on them that was good trucks...... I guess basically what I am saying is each truck is different and usage means everything as with everything else.....use your own judgment and post pics if ya gottem Pj
im a landscaper so hauling dirt,mulch,rock ect http://www.ebay.com/itm/14111269682...a1m=T10&ga2m=T30&ga3m=T2&ga4m=T1#ht_17wt_1310
If you look at the picture of the tag in the doorframe, this truck didn't start life as a tandem. It lists a 12k steer axle, and a 21k rear axle. It clearly lists the gvwr as 33,000 lbs. I would be concerned about the frame and drivetrain being heavy enough. It used to be common (30 yrs ago) for people around here to make their own tandems, sometimes it worked well, sometimes it was a disaster. If you want a cheap truck for occasional use, it may be ok? I would have trouble buying a truck with out looking it over good and driving it. This one I would want to drive it loaded. Good Luck, Mitch
I'd be concerned about being able to register the truck for more than the 33K GVWR listed on the door. In NY, you wouldn't be able to do that unless a licensed upfitter had certified the truck at a greater GVWR and that's like pulling teeth. There's a lot of liability concern if the truck were to be involved in an accident with injuries. Check with your state's DMV.
I think there was an agreement between Ford and Sterling when they bought the L Series trucks from Ford that Ford wouldn't build trucks beyond a certain GVWR if I remember correctly. Tandem F-Series used to be fairly common.
Yeah I don't know about that me and a buddy have twin tri axles the only difference is the logo on the steering wheel and the grill
The C7 Cat is a problem child, and has the tendency to break very often and very expensively. It is also a very wimpy motor and frustrating to drive.
As others have said the c-7 is no gem. While I cannot find a direct link, I do believe that the c-7 & 3116 / 3126 are father and son. The 3116 / 3126 might have been a fine low hp dozer motor but not a great canidacy for a 300 hp truck power plant. I do like the air brakes option. I don't think as mitch said that it will be a good heavy duty tandem, its probably a single frame. Personally i'd be looking for an f-800 / f-900 w/ a 8.3 or L-10 cummings power plant, with a factory tandem, and maybe more gears. Oh, its been my experience that the 7.8 ford is a heck of a motor, or at least the one in my f-800 is!
what about either a 1978 Ford LNT 9000 tandem axle 10yd Dump Truck, 9spd. has 300HP Cummins with 411 rear ends, or a 79 ford lnt 9000 has 325HP Cat with 433 rear ends, motor has less than 5000 miles on overhaul. ?? they are old road tractors converted in 92 to dumps
If they are in good shape, I'd take either of them well before the 750. If everything was exactly equal, I'd take the Cummins, but that's just me, because I know Cummins engines better. I wouldn't be scared of a Cat, I just bought one a few weeks ago, I just don't know them as well.