Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

F series steering balljoints not taking grease

simonsrplant ยท 2015-11-02 23:51

I've recently bought an old (03) F550, ex Finning CAT truck with a basic utility body. Planning on going my own way after parting with my previous employer. Anyway, the truck has been looked after, as far as I can see (so far) and has only 200k km on it. I've been right through it an despite there being no movement at all in any of the front I cannot get grease into one of the upper steering balljoints. The zerk is clear, (it wasn't) I've poked about with a pick in the hole and liberally sprayed with cleaner and WD, to no avail. I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum and it pains me to run it without grease. Kinda dubious to heat it as the knuckle cv joint and rubber boot is real close. Any tips or past experience on this anyone? Thanks in advance.

Replies8
  1. #1Jonas3022015-11-03 07:32

    Those grease zerk blasters have worked well for me one that goes on the air hammer to force diesel in Otherwise it can help a lot to have some one working the wheel back and forth while to you try to grease

  2. #2Nige2015-11-03 07:42

    Before you spend a load of time and effort on getting the ball joint to take grease - ask yourself how much is a new replacement ball joint and what's involved in R&I..?

  3. #3simonsrplant2015-11-03 08:40

    Hear what you're saying nige... It's not a hugely expensive part in the grand scheme of things. But it's a bit of a stretched out ordeal to change them. At this point my time costs me nothing, so a little persistence could save me a few hundred bucks and a bunch of hassle. I also don't have a shop so I'd be doing the job outside... First snow fell yesterday... Really not volunteer... It's not going to fail anytime soon. The factory units don't have grease points. Just trying to be pro active. Jonas302, there isn't enough access to get in with a grease port cleaner. I'll upload an image when I get a moment.

  4. #4DDoug2015-11-03 09:03

    Try an enerpac hand pump

  5. #5Former Wrench2015-11-03 16:34

    You might try a new zerk and when it is out, see if you have a crust of dry grease in the threaded hole.

  6. #6simonsrplant2015-11-10 00:03

    I rigged up a hose, new grease injector, and coupled it to my manual enerpac pump... Temporary fitted a 90degree zerk to allow me to hold it on real tight. Works a charm. Now getting grease everywhere like I should. Great suggestion Doug. Thanks for your input.

  7. #7DDoug2015-11-10 07:49

    I have designed several pullers and stuff, use those pumps (and the air powered shoebox ones) all the time....you do know they make a higher pressure (IIRC p-40 model) that goes to 40,000 psi ? It's used for "hydraulic pop-off" assemblies. Thank you for the feedback, good to hear it worked out.

  8. #8simonsrplant2015-11-10 15:10

    Jeez, that's some breaking pressure. Yeah, I have a bunch of odd cylinders, air punp and hand pump, super useful and worth every cent. Be kinda serious to use that sort of pressure jacking stuff off. Must create some real force