Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

F250 Transfer Tank/Tool Box

lumberjack ยท 2013-03-05 11:25

I have a 2006 F250, 6.5' bed with gooseneck that I would like to get a transfer tank/tool box for. I would like as large of a tank as possible while still allowing the use of a gooseneck hitch. On the toolbox I would like enough room for my tool box and the electric grease gun inside its case. I also thought about mounting the filters and hose inside the tool box. Guessing my next truck should have an 8' bed! Yesterday I stopped in the morning to fill the 250 up, then that afternoon to fill the excavator, it would be nice to get away from that. I figure I will run all my fuel through that tank, to insure it's filtered before it goes in the equipment. I plan on using a flow meter to track offroad usage for taxes. Anyone have a suggestion on something they know will fit with the gooseneck and still offer a 80+ gallon capacity? Preferably 100 gallons.

Replies19
  1. #1rustyshakelford2013-03-05 11:35

    I bought a tank from tractor supply. It was designed for a short bed truck. It was L shaped but had cut outs so it would clear the wheel wells. I took it to a buddy of mine and had a 12"x12" or 14"x14" square cut out and rewelded in its place so it would clear the gn ball and give me clearance. I think I had about 90 gallons. I'll look for pics. It worked great. Brett

  2. #2buckfever2013-03-05 20:13

    I would find a local fab shop and get a price on a custom tank. I wouldn't trust my welding when building a fuel tank. You can get the threaded bung and fill bung and cap from tractor supply.

  3. #3390eric2013-03-07 09:25

    Yeah I looked at a f350 about a year ago with 6.5' bed with a tractor supply tank and toolbox. The PO before that guy had a gooseneck in the bed, with that tank tool box combo the gooseneck was useless. The guy selling it only used bumper pull so it was no big deal for him. I would agree on custom or buying one and modifying it. I second the 8' bed, have the big weatherguard box in my 6.5' bed and the bed is useless now.

  4. #4Deereman2013-03-13 22:27

    Check out titan fuel tanks.

  5. #5lumberjack2013-03-13 22:42

    The only tank I see at Titan is a 60 gallon? Looking like custom might be the route to go although I'm still looking. The ex will need fuel again tomorrow.:lol:

  6. #6Deereman2013-03-13 23:26

    Sorry lumberjack. I read wrong. You must be filling up atleast 160 or 200 sized hoe at that rate?

  7. #7lumberjack2013-03-14 07:50

    Nope, just a mini, but between it, the trucks, loader, and stump grinder, during the busier time of the year I'll burn 30+ gallons a day.

  8. #8lumberjack2013-03-23 17:07

    Thus far I've bought a 100 gallon rectangular tank and 15gpm pump. I'll see how it goes and if I build a custom tank I'll convert this tank to a site tank.

  9. #9lumberjack2013-03-23 19:46

    I can tell I'm going to want a longer hose. This 12'er isn't going to cut it. There's plenty of room on the passenger side to coil a 25' hose.

  10. #10CM19952013-03-23 20:02

    I second the 8' bed but you have a 6.5 so that's what we have to work with. You may want to try an offset gooseneck hitch. This will set the ball off center but might work to give you extra space to have a fuel tank and tool box. http://www.carid.com/universal-trai...heel-hitches-2155412.html?CAWELAID=1795016756 A friend of mine is running a short bed GMC 2500 with fuel tank, small saddle toolbox and an offset gooseneck hitch and hasn't had any problems pulling CTL's and mini's. When I was shopping for trucks, I planned on using one of these if a SWB truck came up at a good price. Weatherguard has several different sizes of fuel tanks. Personally I won't buy any other brand toolbox than Weatherguard. I have one on my '01 F250 that is still dry and in service, although it does need new shocks. This box was put on the truck new. I like the aluminum tanks as well and might even go that route next time but my 5 weatherguard tanks are still in service so it's hard to spend the money on a new one. My 7 year old 354 tank went on the new truck, just cleaned it up a bit and touched up the paint. As far as hooking the aux. fuel tank into your trucks tank, I would advise against it. Keep the fuel separate and buy off-road diesel for the equipment, it will be much easier paperwork wise. Put a filter on the tank as they are prone to condensation, I am sure you already now this. Tractor supply actually has a nice assortment of filters, fittings and swivels. I have two swivels on my tank, it keeps the hoses from being crinkled and shortening their life, plus it's easier to fill equipment when you can swivel the hose. There are $30 a piece or so and worth the money. ON EDIT - You posted those pics while I was replying. Nice setup, looks like you went to TSC. All my pumps are GPI's as well. They are good pumps although the toggle switch and relay will give you trouble from time to time but easily replaced.

  11. #11Shenandoah2013-03-23 20:05

    Nice looking tank. Don't forget to add the weight of the tank and fuel to your rear wheel axle rating when towing the gooseneck. If that's a 152 gallons that's about a 1,000 pounds of fuel plus the weight of the tank. I'm betting you already figger'd that in...

  12. #12lumberjack2013-03-23 21:31

    Yep, good point! it's a 100 gallon tank from TSC. The biggest combination I semi regular tow grosses just under 30k lbs. Now it'll be upper mid 30k lbs. Pretty sure my next truck will be a crew cab long bed. Skip these silly problems!

  13. #13Andrew_D2013-03-23 21:44

    I carry a 140 gallon tank in the Dodge 2500. Rides very nice when the tank is full! Can't use a gooseneck though... Dad has a GMC 1500 and had a tank custom built. It has 2 toolbox lids on top and the fuel fill and pump are inside the toolbox. It works but if I was doing it again, I think I'd go with one lid so that the fuel hose could be coiled around the outside and leave a space in the middle for the odds-n-ends. As is, the hose can get kinked by coiling it so tight in one compartment. The tank is the full width of the box and goes from the front to just ahead of the wheel wells. I think it's around 80-90 gallons. Our equipment operator farms as well, so he had one made for his box (GMC 2500). It's similar to Dad's, but the pump and fill are exposed. He has a set of hitch rails that can take either a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch. The front rail is about 2 inches away from the tank. Andrew

  14. #1405rammer2013-03-24 14:17

    Andrew_D do you have any pics of that fuel toolbox set up?

  15. #15Andrew_D2013-03-24 14:30

    I knew you'd ask that...I don't have any, but I'll see if I can get some! Andrew

  16. #16lumberjack2013-03-28 21:29

    Had to fill up again today, ran out filling a truck. 5 days, 117 gallons + whatever to finish filling the other truck.

  17. #1705rammer2014-10-19 08:46

    Andrew D did you ever get those pics. I'm buying a high lift and am going to need a fuel tank soon. I have a Ram 2500 with a short bed, really wish i bought a long bed now.

  18. #18lumberjack2014-10-19 10:57

    My next truck will be a long bed for sure, I'm tired of not having a tool box which leaves 6 tool boxes in the back seat/floorboard. My tank cracked a weld a few months ago, pulled it out, washed out the bed, and welded the crack. I've never wanted a smaller tank for sure. When we get busy I wish we had double the capacity, filling up in 2-3 days gets old and time at the station during prime working times can be expensive.

  19. #19JDOFMEMI2014-10-19 18:44

    You can get the side boxes that go over the wheelwell and set flush with the top of the bed. Its not as good as a crossbox, but it gives you a good option while still letting you pull the trailer.