Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Freightiner FLD 120 air leak in the cab. How do I fix it?

Skideoder ยท 2013-03-06 16:13

I posted this on another forum and got a pretty generic answer that didnt really help. So here's the issue, the hvac control module or whatever its called that's in the dash has a small 1/8" line thats leaking right at the fitting. Im unsure of how to get the fitting/line out of the module (does it pull out, twist out?) so that I can further inspect and repair it. I took a picture of the actual fitting so its a little easier to understand: This leak is pretty severe, and will empty the air tank within 10min of shutting the truck off (only large leak Ive found so far).

Replies7
  1. #1dirtmonkey2013-03-06 17:33

    Maybe a push n pull quick connect? Sorry if I'm no help. It's not like the q/c 's I have on my truck but ,I don't know if there is any other type. :beatsme. Try pushing in on the fitting and pulling on the hose. Good luck !

  2. #2Skideoder2013-03-06 17:46

    I've tried to pull the line out, and its such a tight space and awkward angle I have my hand at, I dont have any leverage, and I cant seem to get even a tiny pair of pliers in there. I dont wanna break anything being that its 24 year old plastic, so Im trying to be as gentle as possible. I called the local Freightliner dealer just to see if I could get the proper name for the part, and whoever I spoke to was all over the map and said my best bet is to "just bring the truck in"...yea sorry, Im not driving the truck almost 60 miles with it leaking air like that. Last thing I'd need is to be stuck in Houston on the side of the road with a truck that I couldnt tow home by myself. I have a mechanic about 5 miles down the road, but I hate to bother him with such a small problem. It always seems to be the small things that are a pain in the *ss.

  3. #3Shenandoah2013-03-06 17:52

    Looks like a standard 'push to release' fitting where you can place your finger and thumb tight against the fitting only touching the line, and then push the round disc up into the fitting while pulling on the line with the other hand. This release the 'chinese finger lock' inside the fitting. To reinstall you simple push the line back up into the fitting. Look for holes or cracks in the line that may allow you to cut off the last half inch or so of line to eliminate the leak.

  4. #4Mike L2013-03-06 17:52

    what he said. let the air bleed down before you try it. makes it much easier. when you get it out try trimming the line back half an inch if you have enough line and put the line back in. sometimes the line wears enough to let it leak and that will fix it without spending any money. if that doesn't fix it then you'll have to replace the hvac control in which case just cut the air lines off flush with the fitting and plug into the new control

  5. #5Skideoder2013-03-06 18:08

    Awesome thanks guys. I feel like Im at my wits end not being able to figure this out...

  6. #6Water Doc2013-03-10 09:56

    Yup, its a push to release type fitting. I use an open end wrench that just slips over the line to help push up on the collar. I find the wrench makes contact most of the way around the collar and helps to push it up evenly. The more evenly you push it up, the easier it goes.

  7. #7millercross32013-03-25 13:25

    you'll probably donate a little skin and if you do it right, some blood too,lmao...those fittings usually hold better than they are suppose to and you will have to pull a little harder than what you feel comfortable with and when you start thinking that something is going to break if you pull any harder...she lets loose...has a little laugh to herself over you leaving some skin behind with a blood tear...don't ask me or how my hand/wrist know