Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

F350 deisel truck starter

jmac ยท 2007-11-12 13:16

I have a 06' F350 deisel and want to put a car starter in it for the early morning cold. Any one do this?

Replies9
  1. #1jmac2007-11-12 13:49

    diesel is spelled (DIESEL) OOPS

  2. #2CascadeScaper2007-11-12 15:18

    My buddy does it, he's a certified car audio/video/alarm installer. System is called a remote start, it's about $300-400 I believe depending on the system. Car has to be an automatic tranny to be able to do this.

  3. #3jmac2007-11-12 15:55

    Anything special for diesel motor? Must be some sort of delay?

  4. #4PSDF3502007-11-12 18:39

    I was going to do this to my 04 but the service dept. were I get my truck serviced said they dont recommend them. Said they used to install them but stopped after many problems. Dont remember what they were. Now I just start it while getting ready and then go. Plugging in helps heat up faster, but I dont bother.

  5. #5jmac2007-11-12 23:02

    I went to the dealer today and they said that if they install a Ford brand remote starter that it will work fine and the remote starter has a delay in it for the glow plugs to warm up, about 30 secounds. The dealer install is $330.00. Getting it done this week. PSDF350 go ask your dealer for the Ford PowerCode starter, no warranty issues.

  6. #6CascadeScaper2007-11-13 05:36

    Yeah, my buddy was saying they do have a delay for the glow plugs to heat up and such. I'd go the Ford route, IMO, that way you know they can't screw you over for warranty, etc.. We all know how that goes.

  7. #7PSDF3502007-11-13 07:00

    Thanks Jmac I will look into it again.

  8. #8thejdman042007-11-13 20:12

    yes astro start, delay wired in for glow plugs

  9. #9smalltime2007-11-15 10:27

    My grandpa used to keep an electric heater in his car. He ran an extension cord from inside the house to the heater. When he woke up in the morning, he would plug the cord in (inside the house). The interior of the car would warm up while he was getting ready for work. When he would leave for work, he would unplug both ends, leaving the heater in the car. When he came home, he would plug the heater back in at the car. It would be ready for him to plug in inside the house the next morning. Not as cool as a remote starter, but easy & effective.