Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

F350 with “Death Wobble”

CM1995 · 2012-09-04 13:54

As the thread states, my 2006 F350 4x4 crew cab has a case of the "death wobble". It has happened several times, mostly on the Interstate going 60 MPH plus and either hitting two potholes in a row or a rough bridge expansion joint. The front tires start bouncing out of control and in severe situations I have had to slow down and pull onto the emergency lane basically bringing the truck to a stop. Here is a good example of what my truck does, not my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EuQ6f8rgT4 I have searched several of the Ford forums and it seems to be a common problem with the straight axle Fords with coil springs. The fix ranges from ball joints to new tie rods to new shocks and steering stabilizer. I have jacked the front end up and checked the ball joints for wear, they are fine. Ford sent out a letter stating that proper tire inflation will fix the problem and make sure your tires are inflated...:cool2 Has anyone else dealt with this and if so how did you fix it? Thought I would post the question here on HEF. I am contemplating new shocks and an aftermarket steering stabilizer. The truck has 86K miles with the factory shocks. Thanks in advance.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies39
  1. #1Bumpsteer2012-09-04 14:42

    My '92 Dodge W350 experienced it several times, as you know, it ain't fun. The simple fix for me was a tire rotation. A friends old F350 (late 90's) did it, a larger steering stabilizer fixed that one. Ed

  2. #2CM19952012-09-04 19:07

    I just had my tires rotated and balanced week before last. All was good until I hit a rough bridge expansion joint on the Interstate last week, the death wobble reared it's ugly head again. Tomorrow or the next day I am taking it to my mechanic that installed my EGR delete and HPOP to put it on the rack and go through the front end.

  3. #3buckfever2012-09-04 19:53

    A guy that worked for us had the same problem with his 2002 dodge 2500. A set of shocks fix everything. with 86k on them you might want to just change them anyways.

  4. #4CM19952012-09-04 20:27

    Yeah that is what I am thinking as well. They're all factory including the steering stabilizer. They're the Ford "Ranchero" shocks. I'll get a better idea once the front end is gone through.

  5. #5jrtraderny2012-09-04 21:24

    If you've go the Ford "Ranchos" they are junk. Most guys swap out the shocks for real "Ranchos" or Bilstiens.

  6. #6tuney4432012-09-04 21:25

    I experienced the death wobble from Hell a few years ago from my 1988 Chevy V30 dump.It was so bad that I would leave behind large hunks of rust in the road it vibrated so bad.Only happened at app. 25 MPH when you hit a pothole and I had to pull over or I was going to crash into something.It first went away with a steering stabilizer changeout,returned,so I changed the shocks-was OK for awhile,then returned and just gave up after awhile.Very frustrating--wish you luck.

  7. #7Steve Frazier2012-09-05 00:57

    I had it happen on a leaf spring F-350. New steering stabilizer solved the problem.

  8. #8mitch5042012-09-05 01:13

    I was glad to see this thread come up. I got a 1992 Ford F-Super Duty this summer, and I was just about to start trying to solve this exact problem. Mine only seems to happen when I hit just the right bump at just the right speed, (45 mph) with the wheels turned slightly (like going around a curve). It only happens every few weeks. I was assuming it was a tire, but my steer tires look great. I know my front shocks are shot, and the stock steering stabilizer is too. I guess I will start w/ them, thanks guys. P.S. this is a solid axle, leaf spring, 2wd.

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2012-09-05 02:12

    As above, shocks are a big cause. I did not see anyone mention what I have found to be wrong in several cases of this. The trac bar, aka panhard rod, aka, many other names, depending on where you are from. You know, the one that goes from the frame on one side to the axle housing on the other. It can look fine, and even be OK when being pried on on a rack, but the bushings in it seem to get soft over time and allow the side to side wobble. A good new set of bushings MAY be the fix you need. Another cause of this, though I doubt it is your problem, is someone putting lighter load range tires on the front end. Especially with the diesel trucks, they need 10 ply, or E load range tires.

  10. #10CM19952012-09-05 07:52

    No I have the Ford " Rancheros ". Curve + pothole = massive shaking. There is a section of I-65 in downtown that I avoid like the plague. I want new shocks regardless and the wife has given her blessing to "Get your damn truck fixed" since she was in the truck last time it happened. Jerry I am thinking there is a bushing gone somewhere in the front end as well. I am taking it to my mechanic that performed the EGR delete and HPOP swap. Good mechanic that also races on the side.

  11. #11JNB2012-09-05 09:48

    I didn't realize this was such a big problem. Must be since its got its own website. http://www.superdutywobble.com/

  12. #12d9gdon2012-09-05 22:37

    Had it happen on a 96 Dodge 2500 4x4 and a new steering stabilizer fixed it.

  13. #13TozziWelding2012-09-06 00:46

    Check the rubbers in the trac bar, that solved mine.

  14. #14CM19952012-09-06 06:56

    Thanks guys for the input. I plan on dropping it by my mechanic today and put it on the rack. The truck is 6 years old and just turned 86K miles with all the factory equipment up front so I am kinda looking for a needle in a haystack. I have been pricing new tires as well, how lucky I am that not only I need to fix the ol' death wobble but I need new tires too, oh yeah the wife needs tires as well. Did I mention that not only are my tires R18's but my wife's are too. Priced them out yesterday for "fun" at Costco, 8 tires mounted and balanced - $3K.... Jokingly I asked the tire guy if they provided 2nd mortgages or would they be willing to accept first rights to my unborn child in order to pay for those 8 tires. He declined the child but gave me this info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...at=90711&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US

  15. #15TozziWelding2012-09-06 16:23

    The tires on my wife's Mountaineer are 17's and rival the price of the 12ply 19.5's on my welding truck. I was lucky with my F-350 Super Duty the last of the 16's.

  16. #16CM19952012-09-06 19:20

    I took my truck to my mechanic today and after putting it on the rack and checking the front end out, the steering stabilizer had about 1" of play in it that you could move with your hands. Replaced the steering stabilizer, the rest of the front end linkage was tight. I haven't drove it at highway speeds yet on the pothole filled I-65 so the jury is still out if this is the fix or not. This weekend I'll be searching out potholes... Back 6 years ago when I bought my truck new I didn't think about it having 18's. If I had to do it over again I would have had them swap the wheels to 20's as the tire selection and pricing is better, oh well live and learn. Tire prices in general have gotten ridiculous.

  17. #17willie592012-09-06 19:34

    Ha, I've drove "pot hole filled I-65" around The Ham, would rather drive that road any day all day as opposed to I-59 in the NE corner of the state. :Banghead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TJgaHAlAwE&feature=plcp

  18. #18CM19952012-09-06 19:57

    OK that part of I-59 does suck but come to think of it so does the rest of I-59 all the way to New Orleans. We consider folks up in that part of the State Yankees so we don't go up that way very often...:tong Actually there is just one section of I 65 that is pure hell. From HWY 31 in Vestavia to downtown, south of there has had lanes added and resurfacing completed well into Shelby County. IIRC you did some tie backs on the section of HWY 31 that goes from Vestavia down to Homewood.

  19. #19willie592012-09-06 20:12

    Actually installed horizontal drains in a slide area and contractor did a rock buttress on a section of Hwy 31 between Vestavia Hills and Homewood.

  20. #20CM19952012-09-06 20:24

    Ahh horizontal drains, I remembered it had something to do with drilling. LOL, I hijacked my own thread. From F350 death wobble to horizontal drains, you never know what you're going to get on HEF when two Mods get to posting in the same thread.:tong

  21. #21willie592012-09-06 20:55

    Well, we're just killing time having a conversation until we get the news that stabilizer did the trick. :drinkup

  22. #22FSERVICE2012-09-06 22:43

    willie when are they going to start building on them basements you keep driving over in the vids?? lol i cant say alot tho the next county over from me has worse roads than you do there

  23. #23willie592012-09-06 22:52

    LoL, it's not my roads FSERVICE, that's a road from CM's home state of Alabama. I just have to "rub it in" at him.

  24. #24CM19952012-09-08 10:39

    So far so good. I have hit every pothole on the back roads around my house. The real test will be tomorrow on I-65..

  25. #25wosama931b2012-09-08 11:33

    Hi HEF, Sounds like the problem i have with my F250, I changed everything out, and wheel ali-ment, I though it was fixed untill i hit another bridge line. I think i will have to redo the bushings and ball joints, tire air pressure my ass, I have an old F150, 80 model and nave never had a problem, old big foot just keeps rolling, I have been a Ford man all my life, but this death wobble thing has put a real space between me and Ford Motor Co. I saw a kit they say that fixes the problem but it was $800, and sure about that. wosama

  26. #26390eric2012-09-08 12:05

    Usually death wobble is a worn out bushing in the suspension or balljoints. The steering stabilzer covers this up. I am big into lifted big tired trucks, know a thing or twoabout building front suspensions. I would advise with your truck the balljoints will probably need replaced soon with your mileage and the weight of that diesel on them. Also the track bar bushings are real big problem. The only thing the stabilzer is really meant for is to absorb shock when you hit that big pothole, usaully with death wobble there is more to it. Everything might seem good and tight now, but wouldnt be surprised if you are going to need some new parts in the near future.

  27. #27CM19952012-10-25 19:18

    Just an update. I have a new steering stabilizer, new shocks and new tires - truck rides like new. Time will tell if the death wobble comes back but for now it's great. Here's to hoping the economy gets better and I can jack that one up and put a new one underneath it in the near future.:drinkup

  28. #28BKrois2012-11-09 19:01

    I had a bad wobble/vibration on my 04 F350 diesel, turned out to be a bad front passenger side hub.

  29. #29daddy2012-11-09 20:32

    For the life of me, I can't remember where I read this, or what truck it was a problem with, but ovalled out holes where suspension components bolt or rivet to the frame can cause death wobble. Not something that you would think to check, because it should never be loose or worn out, as it should be a fixed connection.

  30. #30OzDozer2012-11-10 19:44

    I thought only Model T's got a death wobble in the steering? Had a friend who restored a Model T, he spent years restoring it - then sold it within weeks of getting it on the road, because he couldn't handle the death wobble in the steering! Here's my .02c worth: 1. Install a heavy duty steering damper on the track rod. 2. Replace front shocks with a premium brand heavy duty gas shocks. 3. Balance front wheels, and brake rotors, too. 4. Inspect all front end rubber bushings and replace those that show signs of wear, or are spongy. I owned a SWB '77 4WD F100 that had the long-radius-rod-supported, Dana solid front axle. This thing was a beast, it originally came with manual steering, and was all over the road from new. Fitted power steering when nearly new, and that improved it some, by reducing the number of turns lock-to-lock and providing more control. Never had a death wobble problem, but this thing was a beast on dirt roads at speed when lightly loaded. You'd hit washboard on one side and it would be sideways within seconds, as the washboard impact went straight back to the centre of the chassis via those long radius rods, and pushed the back sideways. If you weren't on the ball with lightning reflexes, you'd be off the road, or on your roof before you knew it! The huge tyres on the F series provide a lot of rotating weight to start death wobbles if they become unbalanced. Had a problem a few times with mud buildup on the inside of the rim, creating sudden massive imbalance.

  31. #31d9gdon2012-11-10 20:04

    Oz, those Fords were like herding a hundred head of goats down the road by yourself.

  32. #32OCR2012-11-10 23:34

    Death wobble: Well here ... some interesting reading. rofessor... lol​ Some more.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_oscillation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroelasticity#Flutter The old "tank-slapper" got me back in the 70's, and I fractured a cervical vertebra. That's why I'm so mean to grandpa... from the "pain in the neck"... lol Lol, know all about that... 63 years on gravel roads. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishtailing OCR

  33. #33Brad1202012-11-12 08:23

    if it is a 4wd check your front u-joints in the axles

  34. #34AT&SW2012-11-18 15:42

    I have a super duty that has had a shake/vibration in it for over 30k miles at 45 mph with no success in finding out what is causing it we finally gave up trying to find it. Tires, rims, rotors, suspension, u-joints, and many other parts with no improvement.

  35. #35Paps32112013-02-16 19:05

    I have an 05 f350 and I know tht wobble too well. I took the truck back to ford and they replaced a few shocks etc and added some stabilizer and its better

  36. #36Oxbow2013-02-16 19:10

    I had a 78 GMC 2500 that did this as well. New tie rod ends cured it for me, haven't had it happen to anything else since though and that includes a 95 F 350 that I put 305000 miles on.

  37. #37CM19952013-02-16 19:17

    My death wobble had went away with the above items changed, however currently I don't have to worry about it -

  38. #38mitch5042013-02-17 01:11

    Oxbow, was that 95 F350 a 4wd? It seems this exact wobble is only supposed to be Ford solid axle trucks

  39. #39Oxbow2013-02-17 11:41

    Yep, 4wd crew cab long box - solid front axle. I have 05 and 08 F 350 crew cabs now and as of yet had not had these problems. The 05 only has 160,000 miles and the 08 150,000 miles though.