I've been looking around for a truck last couple weeks and it seems like 80% of all the gravel trucks in my area are 8ll transmissions. Why are they so popular or is it just a coincidence?
Around here everything has a 18 speed. except the Macks, which have whatever tranny Macks have. Only dump trucks here with the 8ll are converted highway rigs or maybe solo trucks that never pull a trailer.
8ll are a tough tranny. They are easy to drive for the average driver. The deep reduction is favorable on job sites as well. That being said, my trucks have 18 speeds...
I've got one of each transmissions. They are both okay with a good low and a good overdrive, however, I will take the 18 speed over the 8LL any day. FWD
It's one of the very best trannys out there,it's in my 2002 Chevy 7500 dump and for a manual in that year it was the most expensive tranny available.Typically,an 18 speed RR is for larger trucks and the 8speed usually for large 6 wheeled applications.
i have a t450 kw tri dump with only a 300hp 3306 cat that weighs 26000 empty and we pull a 26000 track loader over some steep roads and our 8ll has been fine i thought when we bought the truck that it might not be to good but it has worked out fine
8LL is what all the mixer trucks use here. One of my dump truck venders just purchased two new Pete 10 wheelers with two drops. They both have 8LL and those trucks crawl around a job site very well. He tailgated 1000' of 2.5" crusher , up hill in sandy conditions with 4 curves and one switch back. I know with out a doubt that the other companies that serve us could not have done that with the typical 10 speed road conversion dumps. It also helps to have a driver that knows what he's doing.:bouncegri ( he also had to back down the same road to get out )
8ll are nice for dumps when having to pull or back into tight areas loaded. they are also great when you have to back a loaded trailer up a steep hill. Being able to move slowly while keeping your reves up is nice.
most of this is in town, work for a municipality. Hauling snow, fill, etc. Occasional long trips to haul out concrete or get a load of gravel.
Worst trany I ever used. I drove a W/S dump with one. Took about 2 days to get use to it and then I would be back on the yellow iron or into a truck with a 13 or 15 spd. Month or two go by and back into that W/S and start learning again. Seemed to have big steps between gears and was nothing like a 13/15 which I could shift in my sleep. Cheers
The right trans for a truck that off roads any is the 8ll. I have 2 both shift well and they leave a 10 or 13 spd behind on and off road. With the 8ll you get 2 reverses 3 if you use high range and a deep reduction that will pull anything if you can get traction. The 18 spd is good too but around here seen more in trucks hauling heavy but with more road time than off. After owning a 8ll I will never again have a tandem or Tri-axle dump with out one.
I am agree with your point of view. That's why these are popular.:tong