Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

F450… as a pick up

simonsrplant · 2018-01-23 00:05

So I’m considering trading my 16 F350 single rear wheel in against a similar spec 16 F450. Both have the same mileage. On paper the 450 is better as I’ll be paying less interest and get an extra year of warranty. I’ve recently upgraded my trailer to a pre owned tag along trail king w/ tandem duals as my tandem single wheel trailer was constantly on weight limit, as was my F350. I tow occasionally maybe a few times a month, often in or through mountian regions. Has anyone out there hot or drive a pick up class F450 regularly? What do you think? I’m not sure if that size of truck will be a pig for normal use.

Replies17
  1. #1simonsrplant2018-01-23 00:06

    This is the potential and the current

  2. #2The Peej2018-01-23 05:46

    The 450 is a lot more truck than what you have now. To drive it everyday unloaded will definitely be different,

  3. #3Junkyard2018-01-23 07:11

    I drove a Dodge 4500 crewcab with a 12' bed everyday, everywhere for quite some time. It's not too bad. Really the 450 is no different than a 350 dually as far as width etc. Heck my 4500 turned better than the 3500's we had and it was several feet longer.

  4. #4Bls repair2018-01-23 12:10

    Any difference in registration or inspection cost?

  5. #5simonsrplant2018-01-23 12:16

    Short answer, here in Alberta, no difference

  6. #692U 34062018-01-23 12:28

    I have a relative whose daily driver is a crew cab F450. I was under impression the Powerstroke in the 450/550 was castrated compared to the 250/350. Or maybe it was just the cab and chassis versions?

  7. #7RTSmith2018-01-23 13:03

    Ratings down just in the C/C versions. Truck versions weren't. Do look at the rear gear. Most of the 450s are 4:30 now. Will slow you down a touch.

  8. #8Wytruckwrench2018-01-23 14:28

    I have a customer and a friend that had a 450, we put a gearvendors overdrive in it. Drove it all over and as his daily work truck. Loved it.

  9. #9old-iron-habit2018-01-23 20:21

    Does the F-450 still have the oddball 10 hole wheels with the baby sized studs? Only thing I did not like a few years ago.

  10. #1092U 34062018-01-23 21:36

    I think my work truck (2014 F550) has those. I re-torqued a wheel on it last week due to a flat tire replacement and I think I used a 24mm socket on the nuts. Not 100% certain on that though.

  11. #11Steve Frazier2018-01-29 00:25

    Someone already mentioned the gear ratio, the 450 will probably be lower and affect your fuel mileage accordingly. Also be aware that for some reason the diesel engine in the 450 and 550 becomes problematic vs the 350. I don't know if they are tuned different or it's due to the lower gears but the failure rate in the bigger trucks is much higher than in the 350. You'll be amazed what the extra set of wheels in back will do for towing stability. Outside of the rear axle the 450 and 350 are virtually identical and having the duals in back greatly reduces the trailer wagging the truck. On moderate loads you won't even know it's back there except when it comes time to stop!

  12. #12bdog12342018-01-29 02:00

    I have a 17 f-450 crew cab 4x4. It really is no different than a f-350 dually driving it around. It does turn sharper and it rides rough but not really any worse than a 350. Mine is the pickup version not a cab and chassis so it has full power but due to the low gears the top speed is governed at 87 mph. I have about 30k miles on it.

  13. #13farmboy5552018-01-29 12:49

    I delivered the Ford Super Duty from the factory to the dealers 450 & 550 have a wider frt axle & geared lower. Going to ride stiffer due to heavy duty suspension But one hell of a truck

  14. #14simonsrplant2018-02-12 19:57

    Well, the one I was after and would have thrown a deposit on sold... but I think I’ll search one out. I like the big running gear and better steering lock... and obviously the load capacity. I’d consider a pre owned cab and chassis configuration at the right price... My F550 service truck has been nothing sort of reliable and really isn’t lacking in the power department even tho way less than the pick up versions.

  15. #15cw4Bray2018-02-13 20:56

    What is the difference for liability insurance between these two trucks up north ? I looked into getting one recently for personal use. My insurance company wouldn't touch it. They claim it's a commercial truck and wouldn't insure for private individual use. Progressive was the only company I could find who would cover it.

  16. #16old-iron-habit2018-02-13 23:01

    The commercial insurance on my F-550 is a bit cheaper than the insurance on my daily driver F-350. It does not get the same miles though.

  17. #17simonsrplant2018-02-14 09:20

    I’d bolt it onto my existing commercial policy. My personal 350 is on my commercial policy.