Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

F450 weight

orville ยท 2012-04-10 20:20

I finally found and bought an f450 that I liked. It currently has a 12 foot flatbed on it, but it will come off and a 11 foot dump box will go on it. I wanted to change title and licence it but they would not let me because I do not know the empty weight of the truck. I bought the truck in Arizona and it had not been licensed for the past 4 years. Does anyone know the approximate weight of this truck. F450, with 7.3 diesel, 5 speed transmission, 84 inches cab to axle. Cab and chassis, or dump, or flat bed. Any one know a good place to buy a PTO other than a dump box dealer?

Replies9
  1. #1CM19952012-04-10 20:30

    What year model? Are they asking for the GVW or the tare weight?

  2. #2orville2012-04-10 20:40

    They are asking for empty weight. It is a 1997.

  3. #3CM19952012-04-10 20:54

    I think in 1997 they produced a "Super Duty" which was a "F450" equivalent with a 15K GVWR. The 450 and 550 designation came later in 1999 with the revamping of the F series line. That being said, you may want to register it at 15K GVW, although I am not familiar with your states licensing laws.

  4. #42stickbill2012-04-10 21:21

    You need the empty weight and some states want a weight ticket.Plus the truck has to be weighed with dump bed not just cab and chassis.That's how Texas wants it done.

  5. #5250c2012-04-10 21:43

    I have a 91 f450 with an 11 foot bed it weights 8500lbs

  6. #6Steve Frazier2012-04-10 23:52

    I had a '97 F-350 with the 7.3 and 5 speed with an 8' dump body, it weighed 8600 empty if I remember correctly. The "F-Super Duty" is basically the same truck with a bigger rear, it might be 100 pounds or so heavier.

  7. #7Dualie2012-04-11 02:57

    The F superduty has a strait front axle and a Dana 80 rear end with 10 bolt lugs and wheels. still the same 16" tires which are horribly undertasked for the true capacity of the truck. I would say that 8400 to 8600 would be a safe bet.

  8. #8orville2012-04-11 05:47

    Thanks 250c, Steve, and dualie, that was what I wanted, a close number of the empty weight.

  9. #9Aussie Leroy2012-04-11 07:03

    I have a F450 2010 4x4 twin cab dually it weighs 4500 kgs i weighed it tonight on my weigh bridge on the way out the gate tonight. Cheers Leroy