Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

fae vs fecon standard flow mulching head

fourwheelinj1 ยท 2025-05-28 11:27

Looking to buy a used standard flow mulcher. I know it is not high flow and I don't need that. I have the chance to buy a almost new FAE or an almost new fecon for the same price. Biggest difference I see is that the fecon doesnt have a hydraulic door or guage and the FAE does. The FAE seems to have a few more teeth. The one advantage I see to the Fecon is that the teeth are reversible and a little cheaper. Thoughts ?

Replies2
  1. #1Tones2025-05-28 15:23

    You don't need a gauge on a mulcher although handy to have. All the Fecon mulchers I've seen a door can be fitted but they were high flow heads. IMHO having more teeth requires more power, something you won't get out of any low flow head. You'll need to understand how dynamic balancing works though for any head you buy.

  2. #2KSSS2025-06-02 09:56

    I was going to say the same thing on number of teeth, but also how they engage. When you look to see how the teeth engage, some brands stagger the engage, meaning all the teeth on drum tooth line, don't engage at the same time. This allows for more power per tooth. My Diamond mulcher allows for using different teeth styles on the same drum, and reversing the teeth as well (depending on which tooth your using). There are a lot of things to consider on a mulcher to make sure your getting what you need. FAE is a really good mulcher in my opinion.