Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fair price to pay for this pc150.

RuskEnt ยท 2008-06-29 20:01

Before I hand over the check for this machine this week I figured i'd ask the experts what its worth. Its a 1998 I belive, PC150LC. 6000 Hours. Machine seems pretty tight and runs good. I would be buying it off the orginal owner who currently does my excavation. Here are a few pics. He wants 35k. Good deal or should I pass?

Replies11
  1. #1diversified man2008-06-29 20:14

    offer him 28K and go from there act like you dont need it but you will do him the favor by taking it off his hands see what his reaction is hey if you can save 7k its better then nothing let me know how you make out

  2. #2CM19952008-06-29 20:44

    My suggetstion before you buy it is run some oil samples. Engine oil, hyd. oil, final drives, swing drive oil and coolant - that will tell you alot about the condition of the machine. Here locally it is $12-15 per oil sample. Very cheap insurance. Check out machinery trader: http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...CF78D2401984DD77199E583F0F&Thumbs=1&scf=false After looking at the auction results and machine for sale prices, I would also suggest that you offer him $28K and see where it goes.

  3. #3John C.2008-06-29 20:54

    I believe it uses a Cummins 4 cylinder engine in that model which was a real downer compared to the Dash 5 models. There were main hydraulic valve problems on the Dash 6 units for quite awhile. You should get someone who knows about them to check it out before you lay down that kind of money. The oil samples are a good idea unless the owner has already changed them all for the sale. On the west coast that machine would be real lucky to get any more than $25,000 at auction. You also need to check the width of the machine as I'm sure there are regulations on how wide the machine can be to haul without over width permits. In Washington State one of those machines with 32" pads requires the permit to haul it on a tilt trailer. Good Luck!

  4. #4Dirtman20072008-06-29 21:01

    Is it a grey market machine? the tracks, U/C ,and the bucket looks like something you would see on a machine over sea's. I was going to say 30k before I saw yours and the others price. so 28-30k seem like a good price to offer.

  5. #5RuskEnt2008-06-29 21:13

    Seems like it is worth around 28k. How come when I crusie machinerytrader.com I see very few it any machines listed for under 45k? That is what made me think the machine was a good deal at 35k. Do you think I could find a much better machine for 35k?

  6. #6dirt digger2008-06-29 21:19

    VERY good advice...we run oil samples on our trucks and machines all the time, we actually just found anti-freeze in the oil of one of our peterbilts...$6000 to fix the problem, but if we would of let it go and not noticed it could have cost much more down the road

  7. #7backhoe12008-06-29 21:33

    Does anyone else think the paint scheme is different on this machine? I personally haven't seen this style. I also don't think a grey machine is that big of a deal, just make sure your dealer will be able to get parts for it. the rest is insignificant on an older machine.

  8. #8PSDF3502008-06-29 22:04

    Heres one for 37,500 4400 hours. http://www.volvo.com/dealers/en-us/chadwick-baross/usedequipment/index.htm It would seem can't post direct link, it is second from bottom.

  9. #9Tony2008-07-01 07:31

    Paint Scheme Yes, Backhoe1, the paint scheme is different... By what the poster says, the machine is being sold by it's original owner, and the poster is from Jersey. Read on... When Komatsu introduced first Dash -6 excavators in 1994, the yellow paint (called "Tiffaner Yellow") had to be the worst looking yellow paint in the industry. Many refered to it as "Baby **** Yellow", because that's exactly what it looked like. Well, Bob Binder, owner of Binder Machinery in South Plainfield, NJ (the NJ Komatsu dealer) wasn't going to let a crappy paint color affect his chance at selling these machines. So he came up with his own Komatsu paint scheme, and even bought a diecut decal machine to make his own decals. He sold tons of Dash -6 excavators with this "Binder" paint job. You can still find quite a few Dash 6 Komatsu's painted this way in Jersey, as Binder did a really good job marketing the product. I work for the Komatsu dealer "just across the Hudson", and every once in a while you'll see one of these custom painted machines over this way. I always thought Mr. Binder had a real novel concept and just enough balls to think outside the box and overcome the general dislike of the machines looks. PS: The PC150LC-6 in the picture is more than likely a UK built machine (a "K" prefix in the s/n will tell you). They were great machines when the hydraulics were tuned correctly. Whoever is buying a PC150-6 should check with the local dealer and make sure all the early field campaigns were completed. Not a bad machine at all, and pretty good on fuel to boot. Have a great day, Tony

  10. #10John C.2008-07-01 23:23

    RuskEnt, I checked Machinery Trader and came up with the following on the summary page. Nine machines sold at auction, high $35,000, low $18,000, average $27,889. Five machines offered at retail, high $59,500, low $40,000, average $48,900. The dealers would have you believe they have inspected and done some repair work to their machine making it worth more to purchase from them. This machine is ten years old and no dealer is going to it fix up to sell it. It is not expensive enough to get the kind of margin necessary to pay for anymore than cleaning. The seller is asking high auction sale price and it may be well worth it. But you should consider that if your seller took the machine to auction he would have to pay for freight, cleaning, fixing any obvious issues that might make it look bad on the ramp and pay the commission which is never less than ten percent. That might net him about $31,000 after expenses and commission. It is more likely though that the machine would only sell for the average of $27,889 therefore netting him around $24,500. Now you have your range of value for negotiation. Another question that I would ask is why the low hours on an expensive and productive machine. Ten years of operation on single shifts could show twenty thousand hours of operation. This meter showing 6,000 hours in ten years means the machine only works 600 hours a year? I don't know anyone who could make payments for the machine at that, much less make a profit. Something is wrong! Good Luck

  11. #11PSDF3502008-07-01 23:42

    John come east you will find alot of machinces with those kind of hours. The one I posted a link to only has 4400 hours. Maybe it has something to do with alot of guys only need a machine for certain things, not full bore day in day out work. I have an 86 cat skidder with 11,000 hours thats 22 years old. Thats 500 hours a year. Also machine he bought/buying is from a private seller. Most guys I know aint taking anything to auction. They either trade it in or park it in front yard (like my skidder) with a for sale sign. Also most aint going to auction either. They either go to dealer or someones front yard.