Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fair rental rate for old D8?

BryceH ยท 2021-10-24 22:04

I have a neighbor that has a 1960's D8 dozer. We were thinking of using it for a project. Could take us as little as 20 hours and as much as 100 hours. Machinery Trader shows they are valued between $8K and $19K. What is a fair hourly rate including delivery and pick up? (20 miles or less) He just threw out a $100 as a round number. Thoughts? Thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1skyking12021-10-24 22:33

    plus delivery and pickup, sounds fair. That would be $4000 for a week. you can rent 100 hp dozers from Sunbelt for $2300 for a week. In a straight push the old 8 would move 3 times the dirt.

  2. #2Jonas3022021-10-24 22:39

    Usually private rentals of old equipment are based on hour meter time and not days the advantage being on a stretched out project the dozer may not get many hours The disadvantage is being older equipment your expected to take care of small malfunctions and a major one can get awkward Given that 100 an hour on the clock sounds reasonable

  3. #3Flat Thunder Channel2021-10-25 12:40

    I'd opt for a newer smaller machine rental. The smaller unit might not move as much per push, but it will operate faster with easier controls. Guess it depends on the scope of the project. Just straight pushing large amounts of dirt or navigating quickly around with less per pass. My two cents.

  4. #4361brock2021-10-25 15:49

    does that $100 per hr include the operator and fuel?

  5. #5epirbalex2021-10-25 19:42

    I don't think age is the worry but how well it runs . There was a thread on here awhile back that wrote of two D8T's on a job site , one a spare for the other and couldn't get a day's work out of either .

  6. #6skyking12021-10-25 22:42

    I was on a scraper show for Scarsella many years ago, they had 6 scrapers to run 4. The D9 was not the problem, and one day they sent all the dirt hands home when only 2 out of 6 would work. Luckily I was on an excavator! If the owner is proud enough of it to rent it out, it ought to run OK.

  7. #7catman132021-10-26 00:04

    ( The disadvantage is being older equipment your expected to take care of small malfunctions and a major one can get awkward ) this is where it can be no fun , with a rental you buy rental insurance to cover your butt, if you blow tranny or toss a rod , you will be spending some scratch , and if you dont make good you wont be able to beg , barrow , or steal anything again

  8. #8Willie B2021-10-26 05:47

    No way in Hell I'd rent out my 1989 dozer! I can run it myself without breakage, it's near certain a renter will bugger something up.

  9. #9361brock2021-10-26 07:51

    I'm with you Willie, mine is 1988

  10. #1056wrench2021-10-26 10:17

    When i used to do customer jobs with my old 46a i used to charge the the same rate as an 8K. If a guy questioned it, i would tell him it costs me just as much to run this old machine as it does a newer one. I think 25 years ago i was charging $150/hr. Nowadays i wouldn't do it with my machine for less than 250/hr