https://houston.craigslist.org/hvo/5685784012.html Think it's big enough? I'm tempted to call the guy and pretend to be intrested just so I can see it in person.
Heck if your right in town what's stopping you? Looks like an adaption of the old M-50 Mack haul trucks we used to have in a couple quarries in New York, Penn and Virginia. Nothing like the sound of a air starter kicking a 16V-71 Detroit to life in the morning!
Cool truck. There was a Kenworth similar to that except with tandem steering, low miles on a online auction the other day with a $75,000 reserve. The auction ended with no bites. Oilfield trucks are setting for sale everywhere now.
I am perusing all texas auctions, drooling at the stuff that is going for cheap.
It looks like Mack used an FWD cab. For what it is the price isn't that bad, just finding a use for it would be the job. At 13'6" wide you need a permit to drive it. Truck Shop
My first thought was an Oshkosh cab. I think those cabs were built by Evans steel products for FWD, Oshkosh, and a few others. I've even seen that cab on some of the Cline mine trucks. Incidentally, Evans built the early Mack MB series cabs and those miserable early White Compact cabs.
Going to UH all week and knowing that once I get a free afternoon I really should spend it working on my own stuff that's dead. I didn't even go to the Ritchie Bros preview last weekend.... But it sure would be a cool truck to see.
Only thing I can think of is that they are wanting to export it to the middle east, where you have the space to move rigs without breaking them down all the way. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2CkhWux7jE Link dosent seem to be working.
Well if you keep that 16V-71 wound out with the CLBT 6061 in 6th gear who's going to stop you?
No kidding... 18.37:1 reduction planetary axles! Bloody bulldozer....
Here I've been looking for a lowboy puller, this one's just a short hop away. With a set of ramps, I could just drive my crane up on the back. 66,000 wouldn't even make that squat. Would clear out those pesky low hanging cable tv lines in short order.
Love that first picture in the ad. That's some fab shop's pride and joy. Can't you just see the safety people with a rig like that today. What's it rated for? "I don't know- what do you want to pick up?" Who engineered/ designed this? "Well-see we just kind of started welding and stacking iron, ordered the biggest #$% we could get, kind of sketched it out on this here napkin- I think it will hold". What's the over load protection? "Gosh- I don't know lady- I'd hate to see the front wheels come off the ground- I think you'll get scared before the rig will" What's the safety factor? "um-when in doubt build it stout?"
Hahah, I think that about sums it up.
In the video above you can see them pick up the front end on one of these, and it looks like a pretty routine operation for them also.
Pretty common in the oilfields to see the front wheels off the ground when they are pulling a heavy load over the roller, and those guys know how to ease it down slow.
Reminds me of where I worked we had some "custom built" jack stands, like 8 inch heavy walled pipe welded to the bottom plate and 6 inch pipe welded to top plat with holes for 1 1/4 bolts to slip through at various heights to adjust. For 35 years we used these to hold up equipment while working on it. Never had a problem but then one day big bosses somewhere decided it was not safe. Only good thing is they did agree to buy a pair of the jack stands Cat sells, nice ones with spring loaded casters that let one person move them nice and easy on shop floor. But they would be worthless outside of the shop. The other problem is if you needed to jack up two machines at once you were out of luck! Just wonder how long before someone realizes the four swing boom cranes mounted to the uprights for the 30 ton overhead crane were something that one of our former welders built with what ever steel he could scrounge up out at the scrap pile! One of them has two sections of I beam butt welded together as he could not find a beam long enough!
Surely two pieces of equipment would never break down at the same time.
The great lantraxco summed it up best:
Well, I did stand next to a great guy once, so at least for a while there I was near great, thanks